Status: Completed

Always There

Twenty Years

Three days later Maria could be found sitting behind Mitch in the courtroom as the trial convened for one more day so the jury could deliver the verdict. Outside the Manhattan courthouse, a handful of reporters from different forms of media also anxiously awaited the news on Mitch's fate. It may not have been a really highly publicised case, but it still garnered enough attention that people were talking and reporting news bites about it on the 11 o' clock news.

Dressed in a simple, cream-colored peasant blouse and a loose, paisly skirt that let her 9-month pregant stomach breathe freely, Maria sat up straight and glanced at the back of Mitch's head as the jurors entered the juror stand and took their seats. Juror # 1, or the Foreman, was a middle-aged Asian man who had a bad comb-over and wore gold, wire glasses. He looked a little nervous, because he would be the one to read off the fate of the man him and the other 11 jurors had been deliberating over all weekened, and even the past month.

As Judge Monroe turned to the Foreman, he nodded. "How does the jury find the defendant?"

The Foreman stood up, holding a sheet of paper to read off of that listed all the counts Mitch was being tried for. "On the count of Insider Trading, we the jury find Mitchell Kenneth Conner, guilty."

The first wave of shock passed through Mitch's side of the court. Even Maria was surprisingly shocked, even though she knew this would happen. It was just that hearing it out loud was quite different than thinking it.

Clearing his throat, the Foreman went on to the next count on his list. "On the count of Embezzlement of 8.4 million dollars, we the jury find the defendant, Mitchelle Kenneth Conner...guilty."

Ruth Conner let out a gasp of sorrow at the thought of her son being convicted of both charges. Maria's sister-in-law reached over and comforted her mother, both women crying openly while the elder Conner seemed to take the news with a grain of salt. Maria swallowed back a lump in her throat, placing her hand over her chest and waiting for the sentencing.

Judge Monroe nodded solemnly and took a minute breath as he looked briefly over the courtroom, as if in taking everyone's reactions. "Will the defendant please rise."

Mitch did just as the Judge request, standing up along with his lawyer, Davies, straightening out his suit.

"Mitchell Conner, you have been found guilty of Insider Trading and Embezzlement; both of which are serious felonies. Have you anything to say?"

Mitch shook his head. "No, Your Honor," he replied in a shaky voice.

With a subtle shrug, Judge Monroe turned back to the Foreman. "What sentence does the Jury suggest?"

"We the jury, on this 13th day of November, 2006, believe that the defendant, Mitchell Kenneth Conner, should be sentenced to 20 years imprisonment in a minimum security prison with chance of parole," the Foreman announced, sending a third shockwave throughout the courtroom.

Maria was starting to shake as the sentence really hit her. Mitch's posture slumped considerably as he turned around and embraced his parents and younger sister. Turning to Maria next, she could tell he was about to cry; he obviously must've been thinking he wouldn't be found guilty nor sentenced to jail for two decades. Finding it in her to not be a bitch, Maria hugged her husband and kissed him on the cheek.

"Tell the boys I'm sorry," he said, holding back his tears.

Maria nodded. "I will."

"Bailiff, please take the defendant into custody," the Judge announced.

As the Bailiff walked over to Mitch and cuffed him, Mitch looked down at Maria's stomach and smiled a little. "Congratulations, ahead of time."

Maria didn't respond, but simply nodded, as Mitch was led out a side door and out of teh courtoom. Slowly, everyone began to filter into the aisle and head out when both Steve Griffin and John Goldman approached her.

"Maria," Steve began. "We're sorry you and you children had to go through this. We know none of you deserved it."

"Shit happens," Maria muttered.

"Yeah, but we're really sorry nonetheless," John piped up. "And Steve and I were talking about everything and we heard about both Mitch and your accounts being forzen, and with, well...everything in general...you have been a good friend to us over the years. Our children played together and both of us agreed that we want to set your kids up with a 10,000 dollar savings bond, each."

Maria took a step back and tilted her head a little, allowing this information to sink in. "You're gonna give me 30,000 dollars total for my kids?"

"40," Steve corrected, patting her stomach gently. "All four kids."

Smiling, Maria threw an arm around each of them and hugged both men. "You don't have to do this," she said.

"Yeah, but we want to do this," Steve insisted.

"Well, thank you, in that case."

John smirked a little sadly. "Make sure it goes toward their college educations."

"I will," she nodded.

Parting ways, Maria avoided any confrontation with her in-laws and any confrontation with reporters as she made her way to the town car Billie Joe had rented to pick her up from the courthouse. The driver opened the door for her and when she hopped in, she was pleasantly surprised to find Billie Joe sitting inside.

"Hey," she smiled a little.

"Hey," he repeated, throwing an arm around her, and thanking whatever deity that the windows were tinted so that they could have some privacy as they drover away. "How you holdin' up, babe?"

"I'm okay," Maria replied. "Mitch was found guilty on both charges. He was sentenced to--"

"--Twenty years," he cut her off. "Yeah, I heard."

"News travels fast." Sighing, Maria tipped her head back but leaned into Billie Joe's side. She more than welcomed the light squeeze he gave her arm and the kiss he place atop her head. "So...how's the packing coming along?"

"Oh, uh...about that. I have no idea where anything should go..." he commented with a light laugh.

"Sorry...I know you don't need to be dealing with taking care of packing up my shit. But I'll take care of it when I get home."

"Hey, hey, hey. What do you think Olivia's for?" he teased. "She can pack her own room."

"With how she feels about being uprooted and leaving behind her two best friends. One of which she's known since she was five..."

"She'll make new friends. And, hell, I still have the penthouse here in Manhattan for us to stay in. That is, if Adrienne doesn't get it in the divorce settlement. But even then, it's not to say we won't come back to the city from time to time. I mean, you're gonna want your boys to still have a relationship with their other grandparents even if you can't stand your mother-in-law, right? And--" Billie Joe trailed off, catching Maria looking at him with an amused smirk. "What?"

"You've really got everything all figured out, don't you?"

Billie Joe smiled shyly as he shrugged. "Well, I know what I want," he replied, pushing some of her hair behind her ear, staring at her hairline for no real reason.

"You always were so sure about us," she commented, turning her face to study him more. "We were still just kids and you knew what you wanted then, too. You wanted to make music and wouldn't compromise your dreams...and when you loved, you did it one hundred percent."

Subconsciously, he played with some strands of her hair as he listened to her speak; smiling at what she said. "Have I changed?" he wondered.

"Not really, no." Giving him a playful nudge, she leaned back into his side and stared out her window. "Just a little older and worldly. Have I changed that much?"

"Yes," he answered honestly. "You used to be this wild firecracker, so gung-ho when it came to politics and your goals, educationally and career-wise. You were a Democrat back in the day, too."

"I changed back to being a Democrat last month," she informed him.

"Did I influence you away from the dark side, by any chance?"

"It's a possibilty." She grinned and sighed. "How have I stayed the same?"

"Well, first and foremost...you're still beautiful. Still smart and determined. And most importantly, you can still ride me like you're a jockey at the Kentucky Derby." They both laughed and Billie Joe hugged her closer to him. The smile he wore remained on his face but it became a tad more thoughtful and serious. "Have you started thinking of baby names?"

"No."

"No?"

"That's what I said," Maria nodded. "I think I'm channeling my inner Lynn."

"Okay, now you just lost me."

"My mother. Lynn. Ring a bell?" she teased, peeling her eyes from the car window and glancing up at him. "I told you her and my dad were hippies at one point in their lives, and those ideals they had then stuck with them since then. Big believers in fate and all that shit. And, well...I think I'd like the name of the baby to come to me on the spot. If it's a boy, we'll think of a boy name then. If it's a girl...same deal. I just don't wanna concern myself with details like that."

"Well, yeah. That's makes perfect sense. Or, ooh, here's an idea: why don't we just name the baby, Baby Armstrong?"

Maria rolled her eyes. "Or we can wait until the baby's born like I said."

Billie Joe grinned. "See, that's another thing that hasn't changed. You're still stubborn."

"Don't act like you don't like it."

"I'm not. That's what makes you spicy," he snickered playfully, pretending to claw at her with his free hand. "Rarr."

Letting a content silence fall over them, Billie Joe and Maria enjoyed the rest of the ride home to Long Island, wondering how life would unfold from then on out...