Status: Completed

Always There

Fools In Love

Image


To say Thanksgiving in the Cevallos household was chaotic would be an understatement.

Members from both sides of Maria's family showed up. Both sets of grandparents who were still living and either in their late sixties or early to mid seventies, aunts and uncles (including Maria's uncle Ned, her mom's brother, who owned the house Maria and Billie Joe were living in), cousins, and family friends. It was insane. The dining room was cluttered, and so was the kitchen as well as the living room with tables of people sitting around plates of food.

Now, of course, Lynn wasn't the only one who made food. Everyone who showed up seemed to bring at least two dishes to pass.

Dinner was like a circus, the noise of everyone talking above one another was like hyenas cackling away...incessantly. And Uncle Ned getting sloshed before dessert was served was rather amusing. He started hitting on a family friend's 16 year old daughter and Enrique literally dragged him outside and told him to walk it off.

Finally dessert was served, and Maria grabbed two plates; one for her and one for Billie Joe. They got in the line that formed in the kitchen and snagged a piece of cheesecake and a slice of pie before it was all gone. But, instead of heading back to their seats in one of the crowded rooms, Maria led him outside to the backyard where they headed to a metal swing set that had obviously gone unused for several years.

Sitting down beside each other, they let their legs dangle and sway as they held their plates and forks in their hands, enjoying their treats amidst the cool and calm backyard.

They watched as the sky changed colors from Sunset Pink, to a sort of purple and then to the blew of night that would eventually grow darker. They finished their cheesecake and pie and left the plates and forks on the grass below and Billie Joe stood up, moving around to begin to slowly push Maria in her swing. With each swing, however, the poles holding the swing in place lifted up a little. The set was clearly only made for young children. Not twenty year olds.

"Wanna go for a walk?" Maria asked.

"Sure. Where to?"

"I dunno," she shrugged. "I know this old abandoned store that's not far from hear that my friends from high school and I used to hang out at and smoke in."

"Sounds like a plan. I even have that dime bag your dad gave me."

Smiling at each other, they cut through the neighbors' yards, hopping fences and the like. They ended up walking into someone's backyard and walking up their driveway, coming out on the street that ran behind Maria's. Walking hand in hand, they weaved through side street after side street, finally coming upon this section of town where the abandoned store was. The windows were boarded up and the door was chain locked but Maria gestured that she knew the other entrance where they could easily get inside.

Beside a dumpster was a small narrow window that was completely broken and gone unnoticed because of the dumpster and it lead into the basement. Maria slid down first and then called up for Billie Joe to join her. Sliding in, he snagged the sleeve of his shirt on the corner and tore the material a bit. When he touched his hand to the spot, he felt the warmth of blood and he winced.

As they headed up the stairs to the ground floor, Maria smacked his ass and told him to take his shirt off so she could look at the cut. When they reached the store area, they peered through the darkness and could see the remnants of candles, beer bottles and even blankets left by others who'd used this place to probably make out with their significant others, get stoned and or wasted.

Slipping his shirt off, Maria grabbed a napkin from her pocket that she had taken when they ate their dessert outside. Wetting it with her tongue, she proceeded in pressing it gently to the cut. It wasn't even that big or deep. Just enough to cause a little blood flow. Keeping the napkin pressed to it for a few minutes and the blood clot, preventing the cut from bleeding any further.

While Billie Joe stood there holding the napkin with one hand and his shirt in the other, Maria walked around with her lighter, lighting all the candles that still had wicks left to them. She then adjusted the blanket on the floor that was surprisingly clean, save for a bit of dust and the faint smell of old, spilled beer.

"There, our very own private place. A sort of, Private Idaho," she smirked.

Billie Joe took in the area as he pulled the napkin away from his arm. Sure as shit, the cut stopped bleeding just as both expected. He crumpled up the napkin, through it to the ground and walked up to Maria, placing his hands on her hips and pulling her close his body.

"You're pretty fucking rad, you know that?" he smirked, leaning forward and kissing her lips, slipping his tongue past to duel with her a bit.

Before either of them realized it, they were going at it again and it didn't seem to matter that they were doing it in a rundown, abandoned store, up against a wall.

In between wet, hungry kisses, a moment of clarity hit Maria. "Mmm Billie...I didn't take my pill..."

"Hmm?" he asked, completely distracted.

When all was said and done, Billie Joe slumped slightly. He dipped his head, burying his face in the place where her neck met her shoulders. Maria ran her hands through his head of dark hair, just holding each other like that for several moments.

"This is too good a thing to let go of," Billie Joe muttered, huskily.

"Now, or in general?"

"Heh. Both."

Pressing her face gently to the side of his head, Maria stared forward and sighed. "I know what you mean...