Don't Tell Me To Die Again

Chapter 9

“Good morning Little Miss!” the man practically cheered, his smile widening. “Now what’s a human doing during daylight in a place like this, with a guy like Caian? Oh, right, I almost forgot myself; young lady I’m Brynoth. You are?”
“H…Helena.” I stuttered, holding out my right hand. Brynoth let go of Caian to shake it. Caian fell to the floor with a Thud! and gasped; grabbing at his throat where red fingerprints indented the flesh clearly. His handshake was firm in itself and he seemed as though he were trying to be gentle. I winced at the thought of having my own throat in a hold like that. Caian clambered to his feet and glared at Brynoth.
“‘A guy like’ me huh? Shove it Bry, you shouldn’t be talking when one of your,” he paused, gasping, “…mutts attacked El today! And El! I’m not a fucking incubus thank you very much!” he steadied himself; thoroughly sending me and “Bry” a glare that vibrated chills through my bones before he stormed out of the room.
Bry sighed, combing his fingers through his long bleach blond, curly hair. He caught me staring at him and flashed another smile.
“I’m sorry about Caian; get gets like that sometimes,” he paused, his hazel eyes narrowing as he muttered something under his breath quickly, though I did catch ‘all the time’ which worried me.
“In any case, I also apologize for my dog today. The scent of you was all over him and I dealt with him properly. You shouldn’t have any attacks for a while Helena but I cannot promise a thing when your skin is like that. Why is it by the way? Burnt, I mean. Coming down the hall I caught whiff of it and I could have sworn we were having a feast.”
I stared at him in horror and he looked up; meeting my gaze and his expression turning sheepish.
“Sorry,” he murmured again. “Why are you here anyway? Not that I’m trying to be rude or anything but, you should be dead by now. Unless you’re Caian’s pet; but I doubt that since he’d stood against it in the last meeting. Are you by chance his lover?”
It was a question I wouldn’t answer, the almost mocking look on his face told me not to.
“But you’re not his type at all!”
I’ll admit I was starting to get annoyed by his chatter, I crossed the room slowly with him following in trail whilst I pulled out a bar stool and sat down on it.
“No…Caian goes for the courageous, bold, voluptuous and sexy girls; And honestly? You’re the “cute” type.” He paused though he was still not standing while he circled around my chair.
“Mmm, you’re adorable. The puffy cheeks and pouty lips, big eyes; you don’t talk so much…hah! You’re completely my type.” He stopped in front of me and smiled brightly; placing one of his strong hands on my shoulder.
I gulped, not wanting to upset him. But the glint in his eye was a little bit too much for me and I was about to shrug away when he said;
“You could ditch Caian; come stay with me and after we’ve had enough fun together, I’ll bring you home. So, what do you say Helena?” he leaned in so close that I could feel his hot breath on my lips, so unlike Caian.
“Umm,” I choked trying to find words, the first thing that came to mind I spilt out;
“W-Well…what is, umm, Caian and…what are you?” Brynoth pulled back and laughed; it was a full laugh that came straight from his gut and he had to tilt his head back to let out the happy sound.
“That’s a good question!” Bry continued loudly, slapping my back in a friendly way that almost sent me to the ground. I regained my balance and stared at him in shock at how delighted he was at my question when Caian would have most likely gotten angry.
“I, Helena, am a werewolf! Why do you think when my footman attacked you he turned into this giant, mean, snarling beast?!” he cheered. I let a smile slip, it was small but it turned Brynoth’s delight into exuberance.
“There we are! What a gorgeous little smile you have, c’mon now! I’ll treat you right; I won’t hurt you or hit you, or even be mad at you! We’d be the best of friends and hell, I’d remember to feed you! That dumb ass Caian would have to be slapped upside the head with a mallet to even begin to get a clue as to how to treat a human! None the less a Lady!” at that he bowed and held out his hand. I stood, but I didn’t take it; he was a bright and happy person, the kind that people just naturally flooded around. Honestly; I wasn’t one for warm people. I was one of the odd ones, the people who go to save others no matter what. Them Before Us was practically a motto for people like me, this is why—no matter how charming Bry was trying to be—his antics merely irritated me.
“Yes!” I seethed and he looked successful. “But only if you tell me what Caian is.”
I folded my arms and Brynoth paused, looking generally confused at my change in tunes. He thought I was so reserved and now a practical interrogation?
How odd!
Holding back laughter as he stumbled back I felt kind of bad; I mean, he was just making me an offer. No doubt it was one that I shouldn’t have been excusing so flippantly. As he slumped his shoulders, looking slightly hurt, I couldn’t muster up the pride to feel triumphant.
“So you’re one of those types eh? All right, fine. You know I’m pretty easy to please Helena; you won’t find me throwing doors at little girls,” he gestured towards the wall where the door to the refrigerator was still stuck; bricks protruding around it and plaster spliced. Brynoth sighed and shrugged.
“You might not have realized it; but by standing up to me like that you just picked the damn vampire.” He stated and slowly shuffled past me; patting my shoulder before he left the room.

I stood completely still, extremely cautious as to not move. Recently with all these complications and delicate situations it was…immensely difficult to relax and be myself. To an outsider looking in, such as yourself or like how Brynoth had just noted toward me, it seems odd; wrong, maybe.
I should be scared.
Obviously, fear. That was the emotion I should be feeling constantly. Fear, confusion, sadness and I should be going insane at this point.
It was asinine and completely wrong that I felt bad for hurting Brynoth’s feelings, and Caian’s for that matter.
How I wanted to be relaxed in this place, and I didn’t long to leave.
Oh yes, I had an inkling; some stray strand of hope that I would just leave and forget everything that happened. But the sadness, both in blue and hazel; would haunt me forever.
I turned and walked into the hallway, then, remembering my scent I turned around completely and walked briskly to the fridge; grabbing a plastic box of fruit salad and a bottle of water.
Everything was still cold, as the fridge still worked but at the same time was broken.
Metaphor? Not really.
Foreshadowing? Maybe.
Setting the items on the island I reached back in and grabbed myself a cucumber and tomato. I actually quite simply hated vegetables and fruit; but I was attacked for smelling like meat, so I wouldn’t.
I bit into the skin of the cucumber and ate as much as it as I could before I felt like I would vomit. I did the same for the tomato; and felt full. Then, opening the fruit I lifted the sleeves of Caian’s shirt and rubbing the sticky juices on my arms, doing the same to my stomach and legs.
I then dulled the smell that was even overwhelming me by opening the water and with hesitant hands; pouring it on my head and into the shirt and pants.
It wasn’t nearly as horrid as it should’ve been; the cold not contradicting my skin as it should be.
That’s when I remembered I’d been so close to Caian but had been too distracted with his loveliness to feel any pain, I guess. So I was all ready freezing. No wonder Brynoth had been so warm; I’d have to be careful bathing later.
Hating the damp feeling all ready I walked into the hallway, before I’d been concentrated on making myself smell less like food and more like a well-bathed person, or natural I suppose. Like how the werewolf earlier had smelt like dirt; or Brynoth like matches, I smelt like fruit. A well based scent.
But now that I remembered what Brynoth had said; whilst contemplating which direction to turn, I paused either from fear or stunned realization I have no idea but it hit me like a bullet to the back of the head.
A vampire; Caian was a vampire!