Sand in Your Shoes

WE SAY SUMMER;

I remembered the exact moment I saw him. All those seconds that passed were clear in my brain as if they had just happened moments ago. But no, it had actually happened two months ago. I was standing on the beach, my auburn hair twisted into a low bun. I had black sandals around my feet and my toes were being flooded with water every time the tide rolled in.

The annual start of the summer bonfire was going on thirty feet behind me. Eighteen and I still go away to my summer home every summer, to the same group of people. It had become so cyclical and redundant that we all knew a bit too much about each other. I sipped on my lemonade, the water keeping my feet cool. The night sky was sparkled with stars.

I stared back at my community of friends, some drunk off their asses, others all over each other and some just sitting there looking useless. I sighed and walked further down the beach. I let the sounds, smells and all the feelings of the ocean air on my skin, take over and soon the bonfire was a mere splash of orange light the size of a penny on the coast. I reached a lifeguard post and began to climb up to the high seat, before I heard a loud cough. The shear shock of the noise caused my bones to jump and my heart to fly up into my throat. As a result, I fell backwards, landing on my ass in the cold sand. There was a shuffling noise and a loud thud.

“I- oh god,” the boy said, “did I break you?” His hand extended and I took it carefully, trying to get a good glimpse of him, which was challenging considering it was night.

“No,” I said, pretending to check myself, “I believe I am still intact.”

That caused a giggle from the boy and I noticed that he had a baby face, “I’m Patrick or Pat.”

“Penny,” I answered happily. It felt nice to meet someone new here, I was getting sick of the ones I knew.

“I’m really sorry,” he added. I placed my hand on his shoulder, even though I hardly knew him; oh well, I could just tell that he was a good person.

“It’s fine,” I smiled. Suddenly, a bright light was shined on us. I remembered how my eyes burned and I squinted, gripping onto Pat’s shoulder.

“PAT? Oh, there you ar-“

I didn’t know how to react other than to smile.

“Hello.”

I broke the silence. Pat looked at the other boy and grinned.

“Hey! This is Penny,” he said enthusiastically. I reached my hand towards his, but he just looked at us. His hands shoved into his pockets and he smirked, lifting his shoulders in a curious stance.

“Garrett. Come back when you’re done,” he said, finally looking at me. I knew what he thought and it made me feel ashamed. I sighed and said a quick goodbye to Pat, telling him it was nice meeting him.

“Don’t worry about him,” Pat grinned, causing me to blush, “C’mon. Let’s go back up, I’ll introduce you to my friends.”

“We hardly know each other,” I said randomly, “You could be a rapist.” He mocked shock before giggling and explaining how he was a good boy.

( & )

I sat there nervously in the middle of a group of people. They were mostly guys; tall, skinny, attractive guys with nice hair. And I know, I’m supposed to act all nonchalant and flirt casually, but I was honest to god scared shitless.

“Want a beer?” the extraordinarily tall one questioned. Joe? Jerry? John. I smiled and nodded, looking over at Pat for some reassurance. He grinned and gave me a thumbs up as a short blonde girl walked over and sat beside him. Another familiar boy came and sat on the other side of the couch. His name was… Justin. Yes.

The alcohol was placed into my hands and I thanked the boy, watching him sit beside me.

“So,” I tapped my thumb against my thigh to the music. My summer dress was rather useful at the moment, because everyone else was perspiring. His mouth was about to open, I could see the words forming in his brain as he thought before I let out, “It’s been real great, gents. But I must be going.”

I placed the completely full cup on the table, nodding at Pat, taking one more glance at a pathetically disappointed John, before rushing outside. The warm, ocean air made me feel refreshed. I realized how abruptly I had left and how eager to leave I must’ve looked, but I wanted the warmth of my own bed and the coastal breeze on my bare skin. I didn’t want to be in a room with a bunch of unknown guys, hot unknown guys nonetheless.

I slipped off my sandals and dug my toes into the cold, night sand. Everything about the beach and ocean invigorated me. I remember when I was younger and I would come here every summer. I remember leaving my bedroom quietly, climbing the lifeguard chair and staring out unto the horizon until I could see the sun peaking out. Something about sitting in the sand and just staring at the constant motion of the waves always left me without a worry in the world.

I had reached the halfway point between where I just was and where I was hoping to be, when I plopped down, letting my dress get covered with the tiny fragments that once were part of a giant mountain. I searched around for any sign of life before taking off my dress. I walked swiftly towards the water, letting the water soothe my skin. My dress lied on the shore, just before where the break started.

I was out to about my knees when I heard a scoff. I shouldn’t have turned, but my body instincts were off. Those pair of eyes on my skin made me flush with embarrassment before completely dunking my body into the cold water. I screamed into the salty water; a tangy feeling on my tongue. What was I thinking? Getting down to my panties and going for a swim?! Fucking idiot.

The need for air was forceful by now and I wished that I was a fish with gills. I wish I never had to come back up… but I getting desperate. When I came back up, just allowing my head to be above water, there he was. This was the first time I saw him… not that I could really see him with it being night and all. I remembered the way that his hair was sticking to his forehead and his brown eyes were wide and glazy all at once.

“Oh god,” he muttered, walking a bit closer so that his feet were flooded with water before walking back. I could hear him muttering things and it was clear that we were both horrified. “I’m so sorry, I swear. I didn’t mean to look at you like that, I shouldn’t have, not that you aren’t beauti- I’m just- I’m sorry.”

“I-“

He cut me off, “I was just walking down the beach, y’know? Trying to get back and I see your dress and then there you were… in your underwear.. and-“

“Whoever you are, just please shut your mouth!” I yelled before feeling guilty. This must be the most awkward experience of my life. “Look, I’m sorry and I forgive you, really, I do. But your rambling isn’t going to get us anywhere.”

“Right,” he nodded.

“Now, turn around,” I demanded. He nodded and turned around. I couldn’t help, but grin as he placed both of his hands over his eyes. I eyed him cautiously, swimming as close to the shore as possible before walking out, looking around and placing my dress over my wet, cold body. I poked his shoulder softly and he turned around and blushed before smiling.

“I’m Kennedy.”

Kennedy… Kennedy…

“You were at that party,” I said in a cheerful tone, pointing at his nose, “You’re friends with Pat. I’m Penny.”

“Yes,” he paused, “Nice to.. meet you.”

I stared up at him and smirked.

“Might’ve been better if you said, ‘It’s been nice seeing you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter one.
I like where this is going.
;]