Sand in Your Shoes

12

Marie helped me pick out an outfit as I did my make-up. I was shaking from the thought of seeing Kennedy. One single day hasn’t even passed so the tension on both ends are still high. It’s been such little time I was hardly able to think. I checked myself in the mirror, seeing that the skirt tightly showed the shape of my ass. Like that even matters.

“Penny,” Marie screamed from the kitchen. I was so oblivious I almost walked into a wall to answer her. “Here, love. Have a beer before we get there. A little pre-game won’t hurt anyone.”

“Marie,” I laughed, taking a chug, “The bonfire isn’t until 10 and it’s only 9 now.” So eventually one beer turned into three or four, I can’t really remember. I do remember John bursting in at 9:45 and swooping Marie off of her feet (quite literally). I just staggered behind, trying to hide behind a mask of inebriation. I was more or less buzzed and I didn’t want anyone to know that I was still slightly in control of myself. I’d rather look like a drunken whore then someone who just took it.

“Penny!” Pat screamed, then laughed when he saw my intoxication. “See you got a bit ahead of yourself. We have some news for everyone, so you just sit here.” I scanned the circle; Kennedy’s eyes never catching mine. He was off in the distance, sipping a beer and talking to some girl I had never seen before. Jared gave me this look that made my stomach churn. It’s like he was trying to say don’t look. But honestly, how could I not? I stared at their silhouettes as they swayed near one another. And in one second, his hand grazed hers and I swore I heard a giggle in the wind. I was starting to feel queasy. Could it really be that easy for him? I honestly was falling for this kid hard. I mean, I took his fucking virginity for fuck’s sake.

“Everyone gather round,” John’s voice boomed across the fire and graham crackers. By that point, Kennedy was sitting across from me. “We have some good news.” Everyone started clapping, except for me. I was searching his eyes for something redeemable, but he looked like a changed man. Like somehow, in the past couple of hours, something struck him and he could never be the same from then on. And that’s when that look hit me. He stared at the girl, whose arm was in his lap. He fucked her.

( & )

I couldn’t breathe, I felt like I was choking on water all over again. It was like the sound of the waves were right next to me, coming for me. They were chasing after me. My legs tremble as John goes on finally saying something about a huge success in sales and that the tour will be extended, sold out shows, buses… I can’t breathe… backstage passes… brea-… venues across… br-

“Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs…”

Wait, where am I?
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit short
-cliffhanger-

sorry about the insane delay