Sand in Your Shoes

SUMMER OF '98;

The second encounter I ever had with Kennedy was the very next day. It all started when I heard an acoustic guitar strum from my balcony. Music was always an interest of mine and I let each soft strum control me. I walked closer and closer unto the balcony, leaning over the edge; my sight following the noise.

When you finally fade from those nights you spend
Doing god only knows with your new friends
When you decided to come back
You always can


I ran down the stairs and unto the pathway that led to the beach. Few people were out this early, so it was clear where he was. I picked up the pace by this point.

Our lives are separate roads
We pick our separate ways
But the love I found reminds me everday
That I still believe in you,
I still have faith

I have faith that you’ll find your way
And realize your mistakes,
Cause’ I can’t handle another night alone.


I had just reached Kennedy when he had stopped, I clapped. His brown orbs looked up at me and he suddenly remembered everything. He looked mortified.

“You’re the girl from the-“

“Yeah,” I said, blushing before sitting down in the sand in front of him. I looked down and realized that I was wearing a big t-shirt, boxers and that was it.

“Who’s your little friend, Kenny?” An orange head from behind us asked. He looked older than any of the guys I remembered meeting. Kennedy looked down at his guitar, clearly embarrassed.

“I’m Penny,” I interjected, looking down again, “… and I’m going to go get changed.”

As I walked back, I wondered why I was never clothed around the kid and if it was possible for us to have a normal conversation. I ran back up the few stairs to the condo, opening the door and nodding at a half-awake Marie, before rushing into the bathroom. My hair was a mess and I reeked of seaweed. I automatically felt stupid for our little morning encounter.

I opened the shower curtain and turned the water on, leaving it a bit cold before stepping inside.

“WHERE WERE YOU?” Marie screamed from behind the door, banging on the damn thing as if there was no tomorrow. I sighed and led my back slid down the shower wall, the water hitting me dead in the face.

This is going to be a long day.

( & )

“What happened to you yesterday?” Marie asked, slipping soffe shorts over her bikini bottom. She grabbed the towel and sun block before putting all of her attention on me.

“I just met some guys, that’s it.”

“GUYS?!” she yelled excitedly, I’m sure the whole condo heard that. I cringed and nodded. Marie may be two years older than me but she still acts like an eighteen year old. She was one of my best friends here in Cali. It was always so dramatic every time we left for school, me to Arizona, her to Nevada.

“Yes, just some boys.”

“How hot were these boys?”

“Gorgeous,” I blushed, but I couldn’t deny it. Most of them, if not all, were freaking beautiful.

“Any of them in our age range?”

“I believe all of them were,” I smiled, waiting for her exaggerated reaction. She fell to her knees and placed her hands together, like she was praying.

“Thank you, God!” she grinned, “We desperately needed some new action!”

I just rolled my eyes and grabbed a towel, before walking down towards the beach. I looked at where Kennedy was sitting in the morning to see that he was gone. Instead, there was John in a bathing suit. Damn, his body was nice. I looked back at Marie and pointed at him. She grew wide-eyed when she saw him.

“I fucking love you,” she whispered into my ear.

“Hey John,” I said as casually as possible, placing my towel down beside Marie’s whose was beside John’s beach chair. “Mind if we share your sun?”

“No, course not,” he grinned.

“Oh, this is my friend, Marie,” I pointed her out and I could see his eyes roaming. I grinned at my new found love of setting people up. I lied down and let the sun rays seep into my skin. I let out a contented sigh as I could hear John and Marie chatting nonstop. Their chatter was like a lullaby and I could feel my breathing evening out as I slowly drifted off.

I could hear the sand grains changing and rearranging around me what seemed like a few moments later. I could feel someone’s presence on my left side and smiled. I looked to the side and noticed Kennedy’s expression immediately; broken. I sat up with urgency; I know that I didn’t really know him that well, but he looked like he needed help and I would be there. I didn’t know what it was about him at the moment, but he had that face; the type of face that screams at you, when the person hasn’t ever said anything. He sat there, staring into my eyes, pain and desperation written all inside his.

“C’mon,” I smiled sadly, “Let’s go.”

He looked at me harder almost. He seemed confused, which makes sense. The only two times he had seen me, I was practically naked. Which I’m sure doesn’t leave a good impression, but I hope that he didn’t think I wanted to go give him a show. Thankfully he didn’t.

“Where?” he asked gently and I shrugged.

Anywhere.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2.
even bettaaa.
;D

Anyone know the song Kennedy was singing?
I'm sure you do.. or not.

You are the earth beneath my feet,
you are my gravity.