Sand in Your Shoes

YOU REMIND ME OF THE SUMMERTIME;

“And then?” I asked, laughing as I scooped another spoonful of ice cream into my mouth. Kennedy chuckled and looked at his cake batter in a cup. He blushed and opened his mouth.

“Then we had to clean Pat up and try and get the feathers off of John,” Kennedy said quickly, before we both fell over laughing at the ridiculousness of the story. I looked over a few moments later and saw Kennedy’s eyes roaming along the clouds.

“This is nice,” I smiled, looking around at the deserted park where we laid. The ocean breeze could be smelt from here and it gave the park a homey feeling. I sat up and took another spoonful of my cookie dough and chocolate fudge ice cream.

I really wished that I had the nerve to ask him what was going on his life, what had put him in the dumps today, but I was chickening out as time went on. It would have to be now or never. But what if it was too personal? What if he didn’t think he knew me enough? I felt like I knew him all my life, he was so easy to talk to and cute. It was true; I guess I’m developing a bit of a crush.

“Hey Kennedy?” I asked softly.

“Yeah, Penny?” he asked, lifting his torso up and resting his weight on his elbows. His hair was disheveled, most of it swinging to the left.

“What happened before? You just seemed… distant.”

“Girls just confuse me sometimes,” he sighed. I gave him a questioning look. I’m a girl… “My girlfriend told me to go to California and live out my dreams, but when I called her this morning, she goes on and on about how I never should have left and that she should always come first. I don’t get it.”

“Maybe she was just having a bad day,” I said, trying to sound hopeful, but how could I? He had a girlfriend. He had a girlfriend.

“Yeah, maybe,” he sighed, “I’ll call her later tonight and maybe she’ll be better.”

“Sounds good,” I lied, “Let’s get going, yeah?”

(&)

“Oh come on, Penny,” Marie continued, eyeing me suspiciously.

“Yeah, okay. I think he’s cute, but he has a girlfriend and what would I be anyway? Just a summer fling… like that’s what I need.”

Marie nodded in comprehension and looked back at the mirror. She was going to a bonfire with John and she thought she’d look nice.

“You should come,” she said whilst applying eyeliner, “I’m sure Kennedy will be there.”

“Did we not just discuss this?” I asked, getting frustrated. I loved Marie, I really did, but she was such a… nagger. “I’ll go if I want later, but don’t wait for me.”

“Fine, fine,” she raised her hands in defeat. I heard the condo door click and I retreated to the kitchen for some popcorn and chocolate. I waited patiently as the microwave beeped away. Pulling out the steaming bag, I grabbed a chocolate bar and plopped down on the couch. Dirty Dancing was the first thing that came on. I just left it and munched on my snacks.

“Should I go?” I said aloud, “Ughh… I don’t fucking know.”

This stupid boy was tying me in a knot and we had only talked to each other for what, maybe a couple of hours? It’s ridiculous. This crush was eating away at me. I walked out to the balcony, catching sight of the fire; I could hear the laughter and smell the marshmallows.

“Well, at least there are marshmallows,” I said, “I have to go now since I’m craving s’mores.”

I changed out of my pajama pants and into jeans, leaving my Sublime shirt on. I grabbed another candy bar and shoved it into my left back pocket, in case I would need it. Chocolate was my vice, like Paulie Bleeker and his orange tic-tacs. I just needed them.

I walked along the path, standing on the tips of my toes and trying to balance on the uneven ground. I almost slipped and fell once, but I grabbed hold of a nearby palm tree. I guess this was the fourth time I saw him. His hair was fixed now, all pushed to one side evenly. His lips were currently being bitten by his straight teeth.

He looked anxious and eager to get the hell out of there. I sighed, realizing that this whole thing was a dumb idea. I walked a good fifty feet away around the fire, finally reaching the calming ocean. The waves had died down to just soft movements of water, gliding against the sand gently.

After finding a perfect seat in the sand, I pulled the chocolate out and tore it open. I cracked off the first row and placed it on my tongue. I never just chew the whole thing and swallow; I usually savor the taste and sensation for a good long while before letting the mush slide down my throat.

“May I have a piece?”

I almost had a heart attack right then and there. Kennedy stood above me, his hands on his hips and his short hair hanging off of his forehead as he leant down. I nodded, cracking another piece off and handing it to him. In a normal situation, I would be more of a fighter to protect my chocolate, but this moment was too intense.

“You look great,” Kennedy said randomly, placing his hand excruciatingly close to me.

“Don’t,” I warned, standing up and kicking off my sandals. I bent over and rolled my pants into capris, before placing my calloused feet into the cool water. I crinkled my toes, letting the sand get into all the cracks and crevices.

“What did you think?” Kennedy asked gently, popping out of nowhere. He was still close; too close for comfort. What was he thinking?

“What about your girlfriend?”

Kennedy shuffled and I could almost smell the tension, “I lied. She broke up with me, this morning.” He looked desperate, it was almost pathetic.

“Listen, Kennedy,” I paused, backing up as a larger wave came rushing in, “if you want to be my friend, then we have to have trust. So don’t lie to me again. Okay?”

“Yes.”