Sand in Your Shoes

THINK BACK TO THE SUMMERTIME;

“Pat,” I warned, holding my hands out and trying to push his slim body away from mine. The pool lingered a mere two feet away from my feet and I wasn’t ready to be dunked. He grinned mischievously and I knew it was coming. Nothing could stop that boy and his mission. “PAT!” I shrieked as his lanky arms suddenly gained the strength and pushed me the two feet and into the pool.

“Nice one,” I heard Marie laugh as my head finally emerged from the crystal blue water that was now convulsing violently from my unexpected fall. I broke the equilibrium.

“Jerk,” I muttered, sucking in a mouthful of the chlorinated (and most likely full of pee) water and pushed it out of my lips, hitting his chest. He just shrugged and did a cannonball into the condo public pool. “So where’s your sad sack of a friend?” I asked, referring to a Mr. Brock, who had been missing in action that day.

“Probably in his room, watching chick flicks and crying,” John answered as I laughed. I eyed Mr. Nickelsen as he walked through the metal gate and placed his towel on a nearby beach chair. He walked over to the shallow end and dipped his toe in. The face he made was enjoyable as his mouth skewed and his nose crinkled.

“It feels like a bunch of little kids pissed in here,” he stated, very matter of fact.

“That’s ‘cause you’re probably right,” I laughed and watched him eye me again. Boy, does that kid hate me. Pat smirked and jumped on my shoulders, causing my whole body to submerge. I opened my hazel eyes and felt the sudden sensation of chlorine eating away at my cornea.

I finally swam out from under Pat and emerged by the ladder. Fifth time I saw the boy. He had sunglasses clad on his sorrowful face and maybe Pat was right, maybe he had been crying. I eyed him, holding onto the edge of the pool, revealing only my eyes and forehead.

He sat on a beach chair on the opposite side of the pool, took out a book and opened it without so much as a sign that he noticed us there. I really wanted to jump out of the pool and hit him with a soaked noodle, but some desires never come true.

Pat and I exchanged a look before I did the same with John. That’s when the ginger band mate walked out, I believe he was called Jared.

“Hello!” he called out happily. I kept my eyes on Kennedy as he looked down from his book for a moment before diving back into the pages.

I finally got out of the water and walked over to Kennedy’s chair, choosing the one beside him and letting myself dry.

“You know there are other chairs?” he asked.

“You know there are other emotions than sad?” I shot back, trying not to sound as harsh as it probably was. “Like there’s this one called happy,” I said, much more gently, “I like it, it’s my favorite.”

He smiled faintly and his chest rose with keen confidence.

“That’s right, you sad sack of shit!” John screamed and immediately Kennedy fell back into a slump and his eyes glazed, going back to the book that lied dormant in his hands.

( & )

The boys were off at the studio, leaving myself back at the condo. There was a knock on the door and figuring it was Marie back from the market, I opened it swiftly.

“Hey Penny,” Candice said, fake dripping off of her tongue. She was the ‘condo crew’ leader and at the oldest age of 24, she thought she was the shit. The truth was she was just some 24 year old, who decided to hang out with 18 year olds instead of spending her summer partying.

“Hi… Cand,” I said slowly, letting her in. She smiled briefly before looking rather serious. She placed her large bag on the counter and flung her body onto one of the stools. “What’s up?”

“Just checking up on you,” she said, “We missed you today at the annual beach cookout. Kevin said he saw you and Marie at the pool with a bunch of other guys. So, what’s that about?”

She was the number one gossip queen so I had to careful with what I said.

“They’re just some friends I met at a beach party, pretty cool guys too.”

“So…” she glared, “We don’t matter to you anymore?”

“No… no, that’s not it at all.”

“Then what is it?” she sounded so angry and defeated as if we had been the best of friends and I was ignoring her, but we were never really that close.

“Alright, fine,” I sighed defeated, “I’m fucking eighteen, some new faces would be nice for a change. What the fuck is the point of hanging with the same kids every summer and not even being social?”

“Go fuck em’ all, you dirty slut,” she seethed and stormed away. As soon as the door slammed shut, I couldn’t help but let a laugh escape my lips. That was a very interesting moment. My phone vibrated in my back pocket and I slid it out of my striped shorts.

Bowling? I get off at 3. ;]

I sent a text back immediately.

’Sounds fun. Feeling better?

Def.

I grinned and let out a low squeal. Marie walked into the condo and stared at me like I was high on LSD. I just bit my bottom lip and rushed into my bedroom. Stop acting like this, Penny. You are only a friend.

I changed quickly into a purple v-neck and weathered denim Bermuda shorts. I sat on the couch patiently the clock reading 2:53.

“What the hell are you so excited for?”

“Nothing,” I said quickly, “Kenny and I are just going bowling.”

“Oh, I see now,” she smirked and pointed at me, the smile disappearing, “Don’t let yourself get hurt.”

“Okay.”

I will NOT be a rebound.

A knock came on the door and I hopped up, placing my phone in my pocket and my wallet in the opposite one. I grabbed at the knob and swung it open happily. There he stood, in all his glory. I smile on his face and a cheesy Dora sticker on his forehead. This was the sixth time I saw him; seems that the sixth time is the charm.

I will not be a rebound. I will not be a rebound.I will not be a rebound.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,095 words.
HELLZCHYEAH.