Sand in Your Shoes

IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER;

Kennedy’s hand swung close to mine as we walked down the rocky path to the bowling alley that lied in the middle of town. We walked calmly, chatting about useless things with useless words. Although our chatter was meaningless, it just felt nice. No restraints, no one watching over us or teasing us.

“You seem so much more open around me,” I let out, looking down at my polished toe-nails, hoping that I wasn’t offending anyone. I looked back up into his soft eyes and saw him stopped in his tracks, smiling.

“Yeah,” he started awkwardly, “It’s just… the guys can be… well, when I’m around you, I don’t really have to worry about things. You’re like a vacation.”

“From what?”

“From the guys, I guess. I’m just the type of person…”

“…that can’t be around the same people for too long?”

“Yes!” he grinned, looking up from the rock that he had kicked with his dirty brown vans. He looked at me with shock and surprise as if I had just told him that I had just revived his childhood pet.

“I have the same thing,” I smiled, wrapping my arm around his as we got into a consistent step, “Every summer, at the condo, it’s always the same people and the same drama. I was so happy when I met you, well not right away, because that was awkward, but you get the point. New people mean new experiences.”

“Exactly, Penny. I like you.”

I tried not to seem phased by his words, but my breath hitched. I wish the word ‘like’ could have a better definition. Did it mean friends or something more? Did it mean that it was a first step that could lead to many others? Or should I just shut up and say something back?

“I like you too, Kennedy.”

We reached the bowling alley, Kennedy holding open the door as I slided into the dark room. The room was an array of lights and neon flooring; all the cliché aspects that make up a legit bowling alley.

“Shall we?”

I nodded and Kennedy paid for three games, as I yelled at him for not letting me chip in. He told me to hush up and go grab a ball. I walked over to the stand, evaluating each ball carefully. Finally deciding on a purple glittery one.

I smiled as Kennedy typed in ‘Penny Lane’ for my row. I ran up, flinging the ball on the rack and pushing him away from the buttons. I typed ‘Jackie Kennedy’ under his and he smirked.

“Ready to get yo’ ass kicked?”

“Oh no you didn’t, you’re going down!”

( & )

“Do you want fries?” Kennedy asked, his lip jutting out as if he was going to have to convince me to get those delicious looking potato sticks. I nodded and blushed as he nodded and stared at me a bit longer. I wondered what was going through his brain at the moment, because it definitely looked like his gears were churning.

I smiled and flicked a piece of hair out of his face, hoping that it would take him out of his daze. I really wanted those fries. He smiled cheekily and continued to stare at me, the tips of his calloused fingers tracing my jaw as I shivered.

If others could see this moment, the intensity would blow you away. Or at least, that’s how it felt for me, for others it may just look like two affectionate people, but for me it felt the heat of the sun times one billion. I could hardly breathe under his simple touch, maybe it was the anticipation, or the nervousness, or the fact that I had no idea what was going on that did it, but I knew that I liked it.

My brain froze back to the moment that I first saw him, me half-naked, him standing on the beach mortified. His face, his wide eyes, his pursed lips; it was all instilled in my brain. But now, his face was happy, his eyes droopy and lusty, his lips plumb and slightly spread.

It came quickly then, our forced lips against each others, my hands wrapping around his neck, his on my waist. Our faces moved with each other with such ease, it looked like we had had practice. And just as fast as it started it was done.

I stared up at Kennedy, his lips red and plumb as I could only expect. He winked and walked away, walking up to the counter and ordering those fries. I kind of liked that he didn’t linger there or apologize for what happened. I kind of liked that he just walked away.

I smiled, pressing my lacquered nails to my lips. I felt each bump and dip carefully, before lunging myself at the ball lying right where I had left it. I pressed a quick button to show that a new game had started. My feet moved from under me with ease and grace; I felt like I had no control over them. My arm swung back and the ball swung as well. I stepped forward with my opposite foot and jerked my hand forward, releasing the ball onto the wooden lane. I shut my eyes, smiling and holding my lips again.

I heard the crack of the ball cracking into the many pins and relieved my eyes from their hiding place behind their lids. The pins flew about, some dashing, others just tipping. The TV lit up and a cartoon came on of someone getting a strike.

I squealed, proud, I jumped up into the air, letting my silly neon shoes smack back down on the hard wooden floors. Kennedy’s head turned and his face was suddenly in view. He cracked a huge smile and ran over.

“Great job!” he said like a proud math teacher. I smiled, hugging his waist and finally, calming down a bit.

( & )

The ice cream dripped down the cone and slid gently over my knuckles. I leaned in and licked my fingers gently, maneuvering them for efficiency. Kennedy licked his triple scoop tower of ice cream with glee, his inner child coming out. I smiled as we passed by the bowling alley, it no longer seemed like a giant room with neon floors and ridiculous light systems, now it held a greater meaning.

I walked happily, my ice cream diminishing slowly with each stride. The condos were now in view and Kennedy walked me back to mine. As we stood in the hallway, I had no idea what to expect. I mean, was that occurrence considered a date? The night overcame the sky and Kennedy’s hair glistened in the moon’s light.

“Let’s get out of here,” he said brashly. I looked up from my shaking hands and tilted my head.

“Huh?”

“Let’s get away for a few days, you and me.”

“What are you talking about, Kennedy?” I asked, falling back into reality. He stared at me, stumped at his own words. He looked like he wanted to elaborate, but the words weren’t meshing right. “Get away? We are already on vacation.”

A laugh escaped his lips. Those damn nice lips.

“I know, but I’ve always wanted to go on a road trip. Just get up and go, y’know? And why isn’t this the perfect time? Like you said, we are already on vacation. It’s just the boys… and I, well, we need a break.”

“Where do you want to go?”

“Wherever the road takes us,” he smiled.

“For how long?”

I sure was full of questions.

“Four days.”

“That’s a bit much, don’tcha think?”

“Believe it won’t be enough. Time goes way too fast and there is never enough.”

I stared at him; his ambition slowly convincing me. And then the picture came into my head, was this some trick to get me into bed? Take me to a motel for four days? No, siryee.

“I’ll go… as friends though. I really like you, Kennedy. But I’ll only go as a companion, as your company. Clear, mister?”

“Crystal.”

“Alright then, I guess we can go in the morning so that gives you time to tell the guys,” I said, reaching for the door. My skin shivered as he grabbed my wrist and spun me around.

“No, that won’t work. Midnight, be here and ready. Don’t tell anyone. It adds to the thrill.”

“Ok,” I said in a trance. He smiled and kissed my cheek. The coolness of his lips on my hot cheek almost caused a sizzle. I reached for the door again, this time without interruption. I opened it gently, walking in and sliding down the nearest wall so that I could contemplate every word and look.

Ah, to be young.
♠ ♠ ♠
my favorite chapter by far.
also the longest.... (: