Sand in Your Shoes

NO OTHER WAY;

The car ride back was much quieter, but there was a happy air. Our hands were clasped and Kennedy was smiling so wide that I swear it was running off of his face. His white teeth were sparkling in the sun as he continued to drive further and further towards where we were supposed to be. I realized that we would be faced with hell, but I didn’t think of that and just let myself go.

“So you’re my girlfriend now?” he asked as he stopped the car in the condo parking lot. I looked down at our hands, then back at his slightly nervous face.

“Yeah.” He smiled and kissed me, the butterflies exploding in my stomach. I leaned back and tucked a strand of hair behind his ear. “Ready to go face hell?”

“It won’t be so bad with you by my side.” I blushed and called him a cheeseball. I grabbed my bag and walked towards the left as he went to the right. I waved softly and finally reached the door. Take a deep breath. I opened the door willfully and found the small condo Marie and I shared, empty. Well not empty, but she wasn’t there. I looked around, there were pots and pans in the sink, her lipgloss/make-up products were all over the couch and she had a pair of pants laid out on the couch.

“Looks like she did fine without me,” I sighed, walking into my bedroom. I found the note that I had left her on my bed, crumpled up. I placed my duffel bag on the bed and reached inside of it for my bikini. I threw it on, assuming she was at the beach, and walked onto the balcony, where I could see Marie laughing as she sat beside John. Their hands were close and she was giving him her sexy eyes. I laughed before walking down the spiral staircase to the walkway.

I looked over to the right and saw Kennedy, making the same journey I was a few hundred feet down. I didn’t run over, but I decided that we would have to fight our own battles. All the boys were sitting around in a circle, lying on beach towels or sitting in chairs. I reached Marie first before Kennedy got there.

“Hi,” I said bravely, standing behind her as she squinted up towards me.

“Penny?” she asked meekly once before shooting out from her chair and tackling me into the sand. As her body laid on top of mine, she began spitting out questions at me. “Where the fuck did you go? What the hell were you thinking?! I cannot believe you did that to me!”

I just nodded and repeated I’m sorry. She finally got off of me and John walked over. He helped me up and gave me an awkward hug.

“Penny, where’s Kenny?” John asked, his voice calm, but I could see the storm brewing behind those gorgeous eyes of his. I looked over at where Kennedy was standing, his feet resting in the sand as he watched the scene from afar. John followed my gaze and ran over. Kennedy flinched as John began yelling at him. I groaned, because it upset me to watch that. I could hear John yelling about the record label and calling Kennedy an ass. I began to walk over, but I felt a hand wrap around my wrist.

“Maybe that’s a bad idea, hun,” Marie said, watching as well. I shook my head and freed myself. It started off as a walk, but I darted when I saw it happen. John’s fist colliding with Kennedy’s cheek bone. My maternal nature shot into me as Kennedy’s body hit the sand. I shoved John viciously and bent down where Kennedy was laying, stroking his face and watching the bruise forming on his cheek. John bent down as well, suddenly looking very glum.

“Go get ice,” I said and he nodded, running towards the condo. Kennedy’s eyes opened slowly as he sat up, before falling back down. “Shh.. baby, don’t sit up. You just lay here okay?”

“That hurt,” he said, laughing a bit as he touched his cheek. The rest of the guys were piled around us by the time John came back with the ice. I placed it to his face and we all helped him up. “I’m sorry, guys. I guess I deserved that.” They all still had stern looks on their faces as he stood there.

“We need to talk,” Garrett said sternly. Kennedy nodded and the boys began walking away, nodding at them to follow.

“Well, reality really did just punch me in the face,” Kennedy said, the bruise sweltering and trekking across his face to the top of his mouth. I kissed his cheek very lightly and he winced.

“I’m sorry, Kennedy,” I muttered, I didn’t know what else to say. He nodded and snaked his hands around my lower back. The kiss was sweet and loving, but not overdone. It was like when you bake a cake and it comes out just right. He smiled at me, before walking back to the boys.

I don’t know why, but it felt like goodbye to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for mistakes,
if there are any.
;]