Feelings Into Words

Story Three

Candy walked back and forth on the sidewalk in front of Starbucks, the one across the street from where she worked at People’s Revolution, the styling agency run by none other then Kelly Cutrone. She had worked her way up from intern to stylist in a matter of two years, not bad under Cutrone’s reign.

Her black stilettos clacked back and forth on the hot LA sidewalk, Blackberry clutched in her manicured hands. She was wearing a summery yellow plaid tunic, belted to emphasize her waist, which fell high on her thighs. Her legs were covered up by a pair of grey leggings, exposing only her ankle skin. Around her thumb was a red piece of yarn, tied in a careful bow. Her brunette hair was tousled in waves, clipped up with a jade green tortoise shell clip at the nape of her neck, locks of her hair escaping wherever they could. Her lips were painted a bright, matte cherry red, accenting her eyes. A thick, single line of black make up lined the lids of her eyes, covered up by a pair of turquoise Ray Bans. To say the least, Candy was nothing but haute couture and style.

Her fingers texted vigorously on her phone, obviously trying to locate the person she was supposed to be meeting. She was wearing a ribbon on her thumb for him to recognize her, he was supposed to wear the same.

were r u? -xoxo she sent.

Candy had been having an online sort of thing with a boy, she racked her head for his name but it didn’t come up. Finally they were going to be meeting, but he wasn’t there, from what she could see up and down the sidewalk and lack of reply to her text. Candy sighed and looked around, thinking that while she was here, she might as well have one of her favourites - a soy mocha latte with no foam.

“Oh, hey Candy!” said a familiar voice from a nearby table. Candy looked up to see one of her very best friends, Kennedy Brock, sitting at one of the out door tables, sipping on pink vitamin water.

“Oh my gosh, Kenny,” they stood up, giving each other and awkward scissor hug, “what are you doing in LA?”

“Well, believe it or not, my band is doing a music video here.”

“What? For serious? I had to idea that you guys had gotten to that level!” this time taking Kennedy into a hug anything but awkward.

Candy and Kennedy had been friends since junior high. They’d been, reluctantly, assigned lab partners and were inseparable since.

“Is this your first video?” Candy sat down across from Kennedy, forgetting about her latte.

“Aw, no,” Kennedy waved his hand in the air, “our second actually. Well, third, but second really.”

“Wow that is so great!” Candy looked at Kennedy. She’d always thought he was cute, defiantly dateable. But she’d always been worried that dating would jeopardize their friendship, if their relationship were to end.

“Thanks, how have you been?” Kennedy touched Candy’s hand, gesturing for her to answer, electric currents seemingly shocking his hand and into his veins. To put it lightly, Kennedy was in love with Candy. He had been since they’d first been lab partners. He was in love with everything about her - not just her killer body and style.

“Oh, I’m just fine I suppose. I’m officially now a stylist! I was supposed to meet someone here but I think they are a no show.”

“Yea, me too.”

Kennedy and Candy looked at each other. Slowly their eyes drifted from each other’s eyes to their hands. There on Kennedy’s thumb was a piece of apparently red yarn, wound several times and then tied in a loose knot.

“You-”

“We-”

They looked at one another in shock.

“Candy. Can I just say something?” Kennedy grabbed her hand as she stood up.

“Yeah,” she replied softly, sitting back down swiftly.

“I’ve liked you since the first day I met you. And I haven’t stopped. I never said anything because I didn’t want to let anything come between our friendship. But I think this confirms it. I can’t push aside my feelings for you anymore.”

“Kenny?”

“Yea?”

“Me, too.” Candy smiled, both stood up and stood close to each other. Kennedy took Candy’s hands in his and rubbed the back of her hands with the pad of his thumb. His face swayed close to hers, their lips eventually pressing firmly together.

“I’ve waited a long time for that,” Candy whispered to him once they’d pulled apart.

“Hunny, you have no idea.”
♠ ♠ ♠
For Candy