Call me average if you wish

Chapter One

I heard the helicopter at about 1 in the morning. I was attempting to sleep. I failed since I kept thinking of the next day, the first day of college. I was just about to get up and turn on my light when I heard it.
At first I thought it was just an airplane, like the ones I hear all the time. Then I heard it circle. It came till it was floating near my house. I was a little scared, but I figured it was because I was paranoid. The light flashed through my window for a second and I felt my heart skip a few beats.
The helicopter left and I started to calm down. Then a shatter of glass changed my life for ever. As suddenly as a gun can fire an object was throne through my window. Glass shattered everywhere and a few pieces cut my arm.
A figure was lying on my floor. A human figure. I heard the helicopter approaching and the figure moved. It came close to me and picked me up in its arm. Like the way a kid would hold a baby doll. It jumped back out the window with me.
The figure ran through the night still cradling me.
Finally it stopped in an alley. He (I figured that out just by the way he ran) placed me on the ground. I had taken defense classes so I kicked him and ran.
He soon caught up with me and pined me to the wall. His hands held mine up and his feet pinned mine to the ground.
“Help!” I screamed.
I was about to scream again when I felt his lips push against mine. It wasn’t like a real kiss, partially because I didn’t kiss back. He just pressed his lips against mine. I struggled against him as footsteps passed by. Once they had died down he released me.
I kicked him again, this time higher, you know, right where it hurts, and ran for it.
“Jimmy!” The boy shouted.
“Got her!” A voice called from above me.
I looked up and saw a net throne onto me. I struggled against the netting but was tangled.
“Dang! She’s feisty! I like ‘em feisty!” The second boy said.
Oh God no. Please. I thought.
I struggled more until I heard slow footsteps. I felt something hard hit my head and I fell to the ground unconscious.

When I woke up I was on an operation table.
The room was completely dark except for a light hanging above me. I had been strapped down with brown cords. On the other side of the room was another table. There were spots for many knifes. One was missing as well as a sharpener.
A black, muscular man was holding them, rubbing the knife against the sharpener. “So,” He started, “How do you want to die?” He asked me.
I stared at the knife. “Old age,” I told him.
He seemed confused as he looked at me. Then he followed my gaze to the knife. “Oh trust me it’s not for you,” He said placing it back down.
“Who is it for? That creep who kissed me?” I mocked.
“Nope for the man who did this,” He walked closer into the light and I gasped.
One of his eyes was missing. There was a metal eyeball in its place and it moved around as if by its own free will.
“So how do you want to die? We have drowning, fires, strangling, which do you prefer?”
“None of the above.”
“She doesn’t know yet. We had to club her. You should put her under when you start surgery,” The man who threw the net on me walked in through a door. He stood in the room far away where I couldn’t see his face.
“Wait surgery!” I started to struggle again.
“Just breathe,” the man said. He placed a plastic mask over my mouth.
I tried to hold my breath, but I was never really good at that kind of stuff. After a few seconds I gasped for air and breathed in the gas that was near my mouth.
Soon I felt dizzy and once again found myself knocked out.

The next time I woke up I didn’t open my eyes right away. I felt empty. The only feeling I had was a pounding in my head. Other than that I felt like I had no body. I had to bang my leg on the wall to make sure I heard a bang.
I finally opened my eyes to the room. It wasn’t much. There was the bed I was lying on, a desk with a computer, a small bookshelf, and a dresser. A door stood on the wall opposite of the bookshelf which was in the corner on the other side of the bed.
I did my best to sit up on the bed, which wasn’t easy since I couldn’t feel my body.
“How ya doin!” The man walked in the room and I stumbled over to the far side.
“Look I’m sure you got questions. So when you calm down, come on out and find me,” He started to walk.
“Wait!” I said. “Where’s the bathroom?”
“Third on the right.” He left me alone in the room.
I slowly was able to stand up. I stumbled along a hallway till I reached the bathroom. I ran in and immediately found myself pukeing.
“What’s happening?” I asked out loud as I lookin the mirror. I decided to go get my questions answered.
When I walked out the door two men my age were standing on the opposite wall.
“Aww she puked. See man, every girl you kiss pukes!” Said the one on the left.
I recognized the voice as the man who had thrown the net on me. He was somewhat on the short side, but reasonably thin. He had short brown hair that covered just his ears. His eyes were green and shifty.
The other was the boy who kissed me. He was on tall side, and so thin he looked like a pale white stick. His hair was long and straight. It was also white. The only thing not completely white was his eyes. They were a really bright blue. They shone like a jewel.
“What’s going on?” I asked.
“Well you’re sick because you were kissed by him,” The first boy walked closer to me and looked at the other.
“It wasn’t a kiss, I had to do that so she wouldn’t scream,” He explained.
“Well don’t worry, I wont tell you know who,” he turned back towards me. “My name is Jimmy, but only I am called by my name at first. You gotta earn the others respect to use their name. That is White Tiger, or Tiger, till you get his name.”
The other boy nodded his head slightly.
“So up for breakfast?” Jimmy asked.
“I just want to know what’s going on,” I told him desperately.
“All in good time girl, all in good time,” he stared to drag me toward the stairs at the end of the hallway, I pulled away.
“NO! I want to know what’s going on!” I screamed.
“Boys, it’s best we tell her what she wants to know,” A man entered from the other end of the hallway. He was extremely tall, like he belonged in the NBA. He was pale, but not as much as Tiger. His hair was black and stuck to his face like it was covered in sweat. He walked with pride and held his head tall as he approached us.
“My name is Eagle,” He explained offering his hand, which I took. “I run this organization.”
“Oh and the most important rule!” Jimmy cried out. “When people around use code names it’s only so you don’t hear the real ones, not because they don’t have respect. Everyone pretty much knows everyone, except Eagle, no one’s earned his respect in like the history of the world!”
“So, shall we answer your questions?” Eagle asked.
I nodded and followed the three down the winding stairs to the bottom. It opened into a grand hall with shining floors and a huge chandelier. The top was curved upward and the painting was that of an army of angles fighting an army of demons, it was hard to tell which side had the upper hand.
We walked through a tall door on the right and entered into what looked like a conference room. There was a long mahogany table in the center with twelve chairs. Five on each side and one on each end. A large TV was on the far wall and covered it all as if the wall was the TV.
“The others will be here shortly, please take a seat,” Eagle said gesturing with his hand to the chair next to the far end, where he sat. Jimmy sat across from me and Tiger sat next to him.
One by one the others arrived.
First was the man I had met in the operating room. “Hey,” He sat in the seat next to Tiger. “I’m Elephant. Welcome.”
“Um, hi,” I said.
“So where’s the new meat?” A boy asked as he entered the room. He couldn’t have been more than fifteen. He was about Jimmy’s height and had blond hair. His eyes were brown and they were extremely wide.
“This is Monkey,” Elephant explained.
“How’s it?” Monkey asked sitting down next to Elephant.
Before I could answer another person entered. This one was the first girl I had seen all this time. She was wearing black clothes and her hair was black which, framed around her pale face, made her look like a ghost. The vacant expression in her black eyes told me she wanted to be anywhere but here. “My name is Raven, only call me Raven,” She said sitting next to Monkey.
“Uh, Okay…?” I said.
The door was thrown wide open as a woman in a red dress appeared before us. She walked slowly towards the seat opposite of Eagle. “Oh, I just love new members don’t you Monkey?” She asked.
All he could do was drool a little. I could see why. She was a very beautiful woman with long, flowing brown hair and shining green eyes. She was fully formed and looked to be in good shape. I envied her. I didn’t look half as good, in my head anyway, but many boys had called me beautiful.
“Please Lion, not now,” Eagle said gesturing towards me with his head.
“My apologies Eagle,” She said, the expression of pure amusement never leaving her face.
“Let’s get this over with. I’m Cat nice to meet you,” A girl around my age entered and sat across from Raven. I had a feeling this was the person Jimmy had talked about, but I couldn’t be sure, and didn’t really want to say anything.
“Cat, be nice, she’s new,” Lion said with a motherly voice.
“Please! We were all new! It’s nothing new!” Cat replied.
“Still, you should be nice,” Lion said more as a warning.
“Should.”
“SO! What’s up with the new person and where was my memo?” A man walked in who seemed no older than Lion. He was tall, probably my height and had sand colored hair with brown eyes. It gave him a washed out kind of appearance.
“Well you would have gotten your memo had you not been asleep forever,” Elephant replied.
“Hey man not cool,” He replied. “Anyhow, I am Fennec fox. Nice to see a fresh face,” He smiled and his teeth were surprisingly white.
“Yeah, I’m really seeing a lot of them lately,” I agreed.
“Oh, good one,” A girl walked in and sat next to Fox. She had red hair and brown eyes. In my opinion she was wearing too much makeup. “I’m Blue Bird.”
“Right,” We all waited for quiet a while but no one showed up.
“Has anyone seen him?” Eagle asked.
“Sorry I’m late!” A man came bursting in the door. He was bent over to make him look a little smaller. His hair was probably originally blond but it was covered in soot or ash or some kind of black substance. His shifty eyes were dark like his hair and his clothes were a size to big and also covered in the black stuff.
“You’re late,” Eagle said.
“I know! I’m totally dead aren’t I?” He asked standing by Eagle’s chair.
“Not yet, take your seat.”
The man sat next to me and introduced himself. “Hello, I’m Rat,” he said.
I noticed that he looked worse than the rest. He was filthy and had circles under his eyes.
“Rat, why are you still wearing that?” Monkey asked him.
“Well if I did change than I would have been even later!” He argued.
“Can we please move on?” Eagle asked rubbing his temple.
“Why of course,” Lion replied. “Where should we start?”
“How about what this place is?” I suggested.
“That sounds good,” Eagle explained. “This is the safe-house. No matter what happens you should always return here unless told otherwise.”
“Okay, what are you guys?” I asked.
“Well we are defiantly the good guys!” Jimmy cried out.
“Yes. We work to solve the problems of the world,” Eagle continued.
“What kind of problems?” I asked.
“Whatever problems people have,” Rat answered.
“But you have to be careful,” Blue Bird started.
“There are some people who don’t agree with what we do,” Raven continued.
“So we each have a power to help us escape these people,” Cat summed up.
“So what’s my power?” I wondered.
“That’s what we’re going to find out,” Eagle stood up and walked towards the door. “Your training starts now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I started writeing chap 2 like a month later and couldn't keep all the names straight:) too many people....I just can't take any of them out:)