Strange Sepia

Old

Over the next few weeks, everything seemed to be sound and sweet for Helen and Toby.
They were a good match; utterly compatible, both as mad as each other.

I must admit, most everyone was shocked by the news of their new relationship. Aghast by irony if nothing more. Think of it: Lysander and Hermia! Oh, but that was planned, of course.
They could not keep away from each other, a lot of the time. It was almost too picturesque to be realistic. Most people envied their 'love'.

Helen

The walk on the way home was a strange one. It was getting dark again, and the cold air nipped at my skin, like a prickling sensation. People were all wrapped up, giving me funny looks as I was not dressed for the cold weather at all.
"Aren't you cold Helen? Going out dressed like that all the time" The Owner asked me
"I can't feel it"
"You can't? How?"
I don't know. I just can't feel the cold. I know the cold is there though, I just don't concentrate on it.
A couple walk past, holding hands, and suddenly I can feel a warm hand take my own.
I look down, but there is nothing there. But I can feel it.
That was the strange thing. Then they started talking, a sweet whisper in my ear
"Lost..."They whispered to me, and that's all they said
"Lost?" I ask "What's lost?"
"Let's get lost, together. You're safe with me" They assure me
"Who are you?" I ask, very curious to know who this strange person is
"You know me! Hermia!" her hair lightly brushed my cheek, and I knew she was real. She just wasn't there.

And so I walked off, down the road with her. It was a long walk home anyway, but we went a different way to my normal route. Indeed, we had got lost.

We talked all the way, she was like my best friend. No, more than that, she was my sister, my soulmate. Almost identically me. Of course, I could not see her, but then again, I couldn't see a lot of my friends, so I wasn't worried. It just felt totally natural. I had only just met this girl, and already we had known each other forever.

She led me past a lake; and past a million houses. I had no idea where we were, to speak truth. We really were lost. We kept on walking though, but stopped at an old building, that looked somewhat like a house but also a great deal like a type of hospital
"What's this?" I asked Hermia
"The Asylum" She whispered back, confused I asked her what she meant, but I could feel her fingers slipping from mine, and my hand was cold again. She had gone.

Questions filled my mind:
When will she come back again?
Would she ever come back again?
Was she ever here in the first place,
Or had I made her up, all along?
I knew the answer to the last question.
Of course she was real, I never doubted that. So I walked on home, quite lost, but I found my way back in the end.
As I turned my key in the door, I heard a voice say
"We should do this again" It was her voice
I turned around, and there she was, smiling at me, big brown eyes shining, her soft curly locks blowing in the wind, the sun shining on them to give it natural highlights.