Strange Sepia

Hermia's locket

The light from the early morning sun spread down the path to the nunnery, and through its stained glass, opening the eyes of the sisters who were sleeping. Almost the very last to wake, Hermia sat up, and wiped the sleep from her eyes. She looked to her left, and realised that on the shelf, there was a locket, a gold locket, that she had placed there when she had first come to the nunnery. It was her most cherished item, as it had inside, her beloved's handwriting, but no picture.

The light from her bedside alarm clock spread under her sheets, and through the cracks in her eyes, opening them and wiping the sleep away. Helen sat up, and looked to her left, to turn off the noise and light that had woken her. She realised that also, on her bedside table, was a locket, a gold locket, that had been placed there quite mysteriously. She could not remember ever putting it there, but still, she was intrigued as to what was inside. It seemed very old, and she dug her nails into the edge to unlatch it. Inside, there was no picture, but two notes on either side. One had a large fancy 'L' on it, with loops of flowers and lovehearts for decor, and the other was just a folded note, blank on the exterior and slightly yellowed with age. She pulled it out with the tip of her fingers, and read what was inside.

She could not understand it. It was all in greek, but at the end of the note, someone had signed it 'Lysander'.

"Yes, it's my locket. And yes, that's him" said Hermia, and Helen could hear her voice shake, as if with crying.

Helen furrowed her brow and placed a hand on Hermia's delicate shoulder,
"Sweet Hermia, why do you cry so?" She asked, but only tears were found of her.
"It's... a long story." She wiped some tears from her eyes
"...I have time?" Helen offered, but Hermia silenced her.

"Anyway, it doesn't matter now..."
And their conversation cut short. With a kiss.