Forget All You Know

The Man Who Can't Be Moved

"People talk about the guy that's waiting on a girl,
There are no holes in his shoes, but a big hole in his world."
-"The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script


Tom's P.O.V.

"Mate, we had a deal!" Danny said as I shook my head and continued playing my guitar.

Yeah, it had been two weeks and I hadn't heard a word from Lila. Danny told me that she wouldn't be calling me back, but I didn't believe him. She was going to call me back. I knew it! There was no way that she wouldn't call me. We were going to be getting married, after all. Well, after I got us back together, that is. But, still, you get my point.

"Maybe she didn't get the call," I said stubbornly. "I'll give her another ring."

"No! Tom! We had a deal," Danny argued. "And if she didn't get the call, then it's destiny that you move on with your life."

What bullshit. Destiny? Destiny was saying that we should be together! Plus, Danny knew nothing about relationships or how to approach them. I mean, sure, he'd been dating Jazzie for a while, but it hasn't gone anywhere. They haven't moved in together, they're not engaged, nothing. Danny just doesn't like change. And relationships aren't good for people who don't like change, because that's everything that a relationship is. It revolves around change.

"Dan," I said in a low voice. "I'm not moving on. Not until I get some closure."

"Isn't this closure enough?" Danny asked in a high voice. "She hasn't called you back!"

"And she clearly didn't get the call," I rebutted as Danny groaned and ran his hands over his face. "If she did get the call, she would've called back. Or at least I hope that's the case."

"As Margaret Weis once said: 'hope is the denial of reality'," Danny said making me look at him oddly.

"What a depressing quote," I stated. "Since when are you walking around quoting dead people, anyways?"

"She's not dead yet," he said casually as he sat next to me on the couch and looked at my guitar. "I think I just read it somewhere and it stuck."

"Of all the quotes to stick, it has to be such a depressing one," I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Listen, mate, I know this girl who I had a fling with. Maybe I could hook you two up," Dan said, disregarding my last comment. I shook my head and strummed my guitar, not planning on ever listening to him.

"Fantastic," I said sarcastically. "So, I get your throw-aways."

I hated that. Danny assumed that if he didn't find a girl good enough for him, she'd be good enough for me. I know that that's not what he was really thinking, but that's what stuck in my head. It's like: 'Oh! This girl obviously isn't good enough for me, but maybe Tom would like her!'. Don't even get me started on how much that bothers me. I mean, I realize that he can get girls easier than I can, but still, he didn't have to go rubbing that in my face.

"I didn't mean it like that," Danny said as I nodded.

"Whatever," I said, suddenly thinking about Lila.

"I'm just trying to help," Danny said quietly.

What if she really was over me? What if she didn't want to come back to London? What if all that stuff she said was true? What if I was just a mistake? It had been two weeks. If Lila had wanted to call me, she would've called. I couldn't keep lying to myself and saying that everything was going to be okay, when it really wasn't. She'd moved on. She was on a completely different continent for fuck's sake! For all I know, she could be in a perfectly happy relationship right now, not even thinking about me. What if I really was nothing more than a memory to her?

"What's this girl's name?" I asked curiously as Danny looked at me with a sad sort of smile. I think that he wanted me to move on, but at the same time he wanted Lila and I to be together almost as badly as I did.

"Jamie," he said as I started playing a sad song on my guitar. "Do you want me to set you two up? She's really nice."

"Yeah," I said reluctantly. "Maybe I should give her a shot."

"You made a good decision," Danny said half-heartedly.

"She's really not coming back, is she?" I asked, not wanting to hear the answer. I guess I'd been in denial for so long, that when realization finally hit, it hit too hard for my heart to handle.

"I don't think so."

"I really thought that she was the one. Even when I was a kid I knew it. I figured that once I ran into her after all those years, it was a sign that we were really meant to be together, but I know now that everything's just a coincidence. There's no such thing as fate or destiny, is there?" I said sadly.

"I think there is," Danny said. "And who knows, maybe you and Lila are supposed to be together in the end. Maybe it'll just take some time."

"Those are too many 'maybes' for me," I said as I put down my guitar in frustration. "For once, I just want some answers."

After I talked with Danny, I decided to go for a walk. I needed to blow off some steam. Sometimes I did that. I would just walk it off whenever I was depressed or angry. It helped me get things off of my mind. But, for some reason, Lila just wouldn't get off of my mind. She just kept popping up. It was little things that I saw that reminded me of her. I'd see a green car and remember how green was her favorite color. It was never just a green car in my eyes. It was a car in Lila's favorite color. And I had a feeling that that's how it would always be.

Without even noticing it, my feet brought my to the street where Lila and I first ran into each other two years ago. I stopped in front of the building that she came out of. I replayed how her purse was stolen, and I just wanted to help. I sat down outside of the building and watched as the people walked by. I wondered if any of them had ever been in my place. What if they'd had their heart ripped out as well? Maybe they could give me advice, something that would help. I'd never know, though, because they all just kept walking.

I wanted to stay there forever. I didn't want to leave. In my heart, I thought that maybe Lila would come back to that spot if she were missing me too. I wanted her to know that if she ever needed to find me, I'd be in that very spot. I'd just be waiting for her, not bothering to move. Nothing would be able to move me if I knew that Lila would come.

I'd be the man who couldn't be moved.
♠ ♠ ♠
Inspired by the song "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script. It's a very good song and I highly recommend it.
Next chapter and onward is gonna be kind of intense.
Get ready.