Avalanche

Favorite Things

“Hey man! Senior ski trip! Aren’t you ecstatic!?” my friend Brendon asked me as we neared the charter bus that would be taking us to Colorado for our senior class field trip to the Mountains.
“Dude, we’ve known about this trip since the beginning of school,” I sighed.
“Yes. And I’ve been excited since the beginning of the school!” he shouted as he ran towards the bus.
“I’ll save you a seat Spin!” he shouted as he got on.

I laughed quietly and continued to walk towards the bus, my coat pulled tightly around me.

Every year they let the seniors miss a week of school to go on a trip to some dreadful place, this year they decided that this dreadful place would be Colorado, during the winter, when it’s cold, and wet, and dark. Oh, and did I mention cold? A four hour long ride, oh yeah, fun.

Yeah, I’m planning on staying curled up in a bed while Brendon and everyone else goes skiing, maybe I’ll find a hot guy in the lodge, who shares my hatred for the cold. One can only hope.

I got on the warm bus and saw Brendon waving frantically from a seat in the back.

I laughed and walked over to him.
“Hurry! Sit down!” he said as he pulled me into the seat next to him.
“Why? Are you afraid your imaginary friend Steve will want to sit next to you?” I laughed. Brendon and I have been friends since before I could remember. We stood by each other through everything. My coming out, his coming out, even though I was reluctant to be so accepting about that, I mean who wants competition? Not me.
“Steve is not my friend anymore,” Brendon said sternly.
“Oh, what happened?” I asked.
“You were there! I can’t believe you forgot! He ate Bethany!” he said.

Bethany was his other imaginary friend, but apparently Bethany was dead.
“Oh, I’m sorry,” I said as I sat back and closed my eyes.
“You don’t even care!” he accused.
“You’re right, I don’t,” I said.
“Jesus, you’re mean,” Brendon said as he pushed me lightly.

I opened my eyes and saw him pouting with his bottom lips sticking out.
I raised my eyebrow at him, and we both started laughing.

“Alright, alright! Seniors! Hey, you two in the back! Alright! Is everyone ready?” our chaperone asked from the front of the bus.

Everyone gave a collective yes, and we were on our way.

“So have you heard?” Brendon asked.
“What?” I asked.
“Apparently, there’s some super hot male model that’s vacationing where we are,” he said.
“Who is it?” I asked.
“Don’t know. It’s all very hush-hush, so make sure you don’t tell anyone,”
“Who would I tell?” I asked.
He looked around and then whispered in my ear, “Steve.”
“You are such a dork,” I laughed
“Steve doesn’t think so,” Brendon huffed.

‘Three hours, and Fifty-seven minutes Spin. Hang in there.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, subscribe.