Status: Active

Live without Warning

Doesn't Anybody have Answers?

"Scott, it's my only day off; I don't want to work today," I whined over the phone to my stubborn brother; Can't I have my Fridays?

He groaned impatiently, "Please, Autumn; Jeff can't come in today because he somehow screwed up his knee, so we have no one to tune up the guitars or make sure the drums are set up right."

I ran my fingers through my hair, frusterated, "Why are you asking me? You could probably ask any rocker looking dude off the street and get him or her to do it. Why does it have to be me; on my only day off?"

"Because you're my sister and I love you and everyone finds you fun to be around;" I could tell he was trying extra hard to sugar me up with compliments so I'd cave in and work... Too bad I have problems with telling people no after they compliment me.

I sighed, defeated, "Fine, fine; I'll be there in twenty minutes. Just so you know, you owe me huge - HUGE! You hear me?"

"Yes, of course!" I could hear in his voice the weight of stress that was lifted off his shoulders after I caved in.

I sighed again, "I'll see you soon. Bye." I hung up before he had the chance to say bye, which was all right with me; I have a right to be rude after he rudely interrupted my day with work that I'm not even qualified to do.

Okay, that's a lie; I know how to tune instruments and set up drum sets and keyboards and what not, but why interrupt my day - not that I had any plans; in fact, my plan was to just watch television all day and perhaps order a pizza for dinner if I got in some exercise - but nope, even my run was ruined.

I got out of my PJ's and changed into something more appropriate - a red tank top and a pair of sweat pants that I would've worn anyway to go running.

I grabbed my wallet and house keys (this time I was not going to leave them at work), but before I could depart from the house I was looking forward to hanging out in all day, Jasper came running after me.

I looked down at him and noticed he was carrying around his leash in his mouth. He sat down in front of me, tilted his head to the side and waited for me to take him out.

I groaned and slouched down a bit, "I'm sorry, Jasper. I swear; once I come home, I'll walk you; no matter what time it is, I'll walk you."

As if he could understand a word I said other than 'Jasper' and 'walk'.

I looked at his blank face for a few seconds before leaving him to lay in his bed for the rest of the day.

The warm breeze and beaming sun hit me right when I began my trip down the deserted road.

The route to my work was a relaxing little walk. I don't drive a car - not that I can't, I just choose not to. When you have a twenty minute walk to work and a ten minute walk to the nearest grocery shop, there's really no need to be wasting gas and paying car insurance when every thing's in a walking length.

One of the reasons I loved walking to work was the creek down the road from my home. There was a little path that was in a forest that led into the creek. It was a beautiful creek, especially on sunny days; on overcast or rainy days, it looked like it could have been a set for a Tim Burton film.

Crossing the bridge to get to the other side of the stony path, I took a minute to look over at the streaming river underneath the bridge I stood on. In the distance - not too far from the bridge - was a railroad track that was over the river at just a good length from the streaming water. The scene kind of reminded me of the movie 'Stand by Me'; it was just beautiful and relaxing.

I arrived to work a bit later than I anticipated since I took time to look at the river in the creek. Scott wasn't there but there was a bunch of big, muscular men with a moving van in front of the front doors to the studio.

I went up closer to the van to get a better view of what was inside: guitars, amps, Mic's, drums, bass', tambourines, a bunch of extension cords, and probably more I couldn't see from the spot I stood on.

I looked up at one of the guys who was grabbing the drum set out of the van. I couldn't help but look at the front of the drums; it read 'Green Day'

"I thought they were scheduled to start prep for their new album on Monday, how come they're moving into the studio so early?" I tore my eyes away from the drum set and looked up at the sweaty man who just put it down to catch his breath.

He shrugged, "Beats me; I've just been hired to move all the equipment here. Maybe the person who's setting up all the instruments can answer your question." He picked the drums back up and moved into the studio without a second glance at me.

I stared after him as he left me answer-less.

Well, let me just ask the person who's setting up all the equipment after it's moved in," I thought to myself. "So do you know why Green Day's moving in so soon, equipment-setter-upper?"

"No. No,"
I answered myself, "I can't say I do, answer-less-girl-who-was-supposed-to-be-at-home-today-watching-television."

I rolled my eyes and sighed to myself; no one was around to answer any of my questions, so I would just have to deal with it.

Although it wasn't my day and wasn't my job, I pulled my shoulders back, held my head high, and went to go do the job I was asked - begged - to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
*grins* you like it??
I know it's short, but after this chapter, it starts to get good - and I mean good.

Subscribe/comment/banners


Lurve, Tami Wright-Cool