Care For Me Not, I'll Hurt You Too Much

Fist Fights

You spin around as quickly as your injuries will allow. There stands a man, alone but large. His face is set in shadows because his back is to the entrance of the alley that you just went through.

You don’t respond, instead you take a step back. You could probably run for it if you tried hard enough. At this time, nothing seemed to really ache too bad anymore. Your head was pounding with blood and your mind just went blank. The only thing you can hear is his breathing and the soft crunching of the gravel as he brings his booted foot down one step closer to you.

“What are you doing out here all by yourself?” He asks. Again, you don’t reply but instead take a step back.

“It’s not safe…isn’t it?” You assumed he was talking to you again, and you were prepared to not answer just like before, until a grunt of approval from behind you caused your ears to perk up.

You turn your head, and through your hair you see another large figure standing behind you. You had apparently been backing up into him with every step you took. You took a tentative step forward, to increase the distance between you and both men.

“Why are you out all alone?” The second man asks as you back towards the wall of the alleyway.

The wall makes contact with your back and your hands fly down to your sides to steady yourself. What’s happening?

Suddenly they both lunge forward at you and one of their fists collides with your stomach. You take a sharp breath that hurts your ribcage, but with that breath, you smell the alcohol in theirs. Their faces were now so close to yours you would have been able to tell every detail of their features, if it weren’t so damn dark.

You don’t scream out of habit. Your body flies into autopilot as one of them grasps your shoulders and throws you across the alleyway. Don’t shut down now. Don’t do this now! You scream at yourself inside your head. Your body isn’t responding, you simply lose all connection with your brain and your limbs as your body does the same things it would have done if it were your father that were attacking.

You land on your shoulder at the other end of the alleyway, sending an electric shock of pain all through your arm and up your neck. Your head had hit the ground and now you began to see the stars in front of your eyes as a throbbing erupted through your skull. Your hip was scratched and small trickles of pain slide their way up your side. You didn’t scream though.

You can hear the shuffling of their feet as they drew nearer to you. You could hear the ragged breathing and smell the alcohol coming off their breath as they bent down. One of them lands his fist right into your ribcage beneath your shoulder, while the other brings a boot right down onto your aching thigh. You could feel their fists as they pulled you up and propped you up against the wall. Only to seconds later send their balled up fists into your already sore abdomen.

The pain of it all made your brain go numb. All the feeling left your body as it’s capability of movement soared out the window. Your body was giving up already.

No! Do something! Fight back! This isn’t him! Do something! You scream at yourself inside your head.

Your hand and arm respond to your plea as you bring your fist around and glide it directly to one of your attacker’s face. You feel his chin against your knuckles as his teeth clack together and he gasps from the sudden movement.

He grunts. You barely tapped him for all he knew. But your actions seemed to be enough to get him upset.

“Fucker hit me!” He says to his partner as they grab you once again and throw you to the ground in the middle of the alleyway. Your face breaks your fall this time and you can feel the dirt scratch your skin and your lip burst open. Your eyes slowly begin to close as you see several people walk by the mouth of the alley quickly without sparing you a glance.

Why? Is all that runs through your head as your eyes close and you give up the rest of the minimal fight that you had in you. The feeling of their boots against your back and side cause you so much pain that your mouth opens and out comes a low scream of pain. One of their boots collide harshly with your lower back and you cry out again.

You end up in the fetal position, lying with your arms wrapped around your legs as you bleed all over your chin from your mouth. They chuckle. Actually chuckle at your pain. Images of your father’s face fly through your mind as you feel yourself slowly drift away. This time there were two of them.

Please God send someone to help. You body goes numb and limp at the mercy of their fists.

“Hey!” A deep voice calls out some where in the distance.

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!” They shout, closer once again.

Thank you. You sigh internally as you hear footsteps rushing clearly up to where you were lying with your attackers still pounding away at your insides.

You suddenly hoped that in their drunken stupor, your attackers wouldn’t suddenly turn on your rescuer.

“GET THE FUCK AWAY ASSHOLES!” Whoever he is screams at them, anger lacing his voice.

Your body is numb and you hear rushing feet and the breathing leaves your ear. You’re in so much dull pain at the moment that you hadn’t even noticed that they had stopped and left in a panic. Now as their hurried footfalls faded away, and another pair of what you now considered saintly feet rushed toward you, you prepared yourself. All the pain to come rushing back now, because your mind would return to your body and you would be able to act and feel again.