Eyes that See the Sun of Tomorrow

Missed Chance

“No! It’s ‘Well I wanna make love to you tonight. I can’t wait ‘till the morning has come.’” I said to my friend, Kathie. She was blond and had blue eyes. She was pretty, but kind of stupid.
We were listening to Michael Bublé for the fifth time, she kept singing it wrong. I couldn’t take it anymore.
“But I’m sure it’s not that!” She snapped, angry.
“Urgh!” I took off my left earphone of her ear and walked angrily to my Calculus class – which I was already late.
Suddenly, a hand grabbed my shoulder. I froze. Who could be? Not Kathie, she was too angry and too proud to talk to me right now. I turned slowly to face the stranger.
“Hi” a boy with a large smile was looking at me, his hand still placed on my shoulder. He was taller than me – not surprising. He had green eyes; black messed up hair, and was as pale as me.
“Hi” I answered, confused.
Okay, now why would someone talk to me now? I mean, seriously. I’m “new” at this school, and okay, there are hundreds of High School students. But I’ve been here over six months. No one ever talked to me, except for Kathie and some of her friends. Now, that I was stressed and in a hurry, someone decides to give me a late Welcome Party. Beautiful.
“Look, I don’t have time for chatting, I’ll be late for-“
“Don’t worry” he interrupted me with a grin. “Mr. Miller had to solve some personal problems.”
“Oh!” I blinked twice in surprise. “How do you know…?”
“I was just having a break because of his absent.”
“No, I mean… How do you know which class I would have now?”
Suspicious.
“Ahn” He scratched his head. He wasn’t smiling anymore. “I-I kinda followed you” He smiled faintly and looked down.
A… Stalker?
“That’s a little creepy, you know?”
He laughed nervously and looked at me. “Sorry”
A silence fell over us. I sighed. The silence continued. This wasn’t the peaceful silence I used to enjoy.
“So wha-“
“I-“
We interrupted each other. He laughed and I blushed. Gosh! I hate blushing. There’s nothing worse than getting red for everything.
“Okay, say it” I said, smiling.
He backed up. “Ladies first”
“No please. I still have my doubts if I am a lady.”
“Well,” He started, looking into my eyes. “See, I’m in a band. I play bass.” He paused, waiting for an answer I didn’t give. He continued. “We were looking for a singer-“
I know I wasn’t supposed to answer him now, but I did.
“I’m sorry, but I’m not following you. I haven’t enrolled into any singer battle; neither I’m looking for a band.”
Silence again. Please say something, please.
The silence continued. I gave him a sad smile and started walking away, towards the library – I had to give three books back, anyway.
Everyone can be annoying when they want. But for me, guys have a special gift to do so. He blocked my way with his left hand pressing the wall. He wasn’t very muscular; actually, he was a bit slim. But he was obviously way stronger than me.
I stopped brutally, almost crashing myself in his arm.
He turned to face me. I walked backwards, hitting the wall, lightly. I was a bit scared, though I didn’t have much reason for it.
“Roxanne, I’ve heard you singing before.” He said seriously.
Hey! How does he know my name? I tried not to get lost in my thoughts – I do that a lot – and pay attention on what he was saying.
“The guys haven’t heard you yet, but I’m sure they’ll like it.” He smiled, but his eyes were still serious. “We do need a singer.”
I was breathing fast. “Bu-But” I stammered. I gave a deep breath, trying to calm myself. “But I’ve never had singing lessons in my entire life!” I looked at him, disbelieved. “I’m afraid of stages. I can’t even sing for my friends without blushing!” I was blushing again. God, how I hated this.
His face turned serene. “First, you have the talent, that’s something you don’t learn. Second, I was afraid of stages as well. If I got over it, anyone can do so.” He closed his eyes smiling. “When you feel all those faces looking at you, waiting for you to do the thing you most love-“
“I panic!” My voice in a higher tone than usually. I looked around, the corridor was empty. Where did everybody go? Wait. Didn’t he have classes?
I sighed. “I’m sorry, I can’t help you. I’m sure you and your friends will find someone awesome.”
All the doors opened and a bunch of teenagers filled the corridors up. He looked shocked at the teenagers. I took advantage of his oversight and ran into the crowd, hoping he didn’t follow me. I found Kathie – actually, I almost hit her with my arm. She was smiling, probably, she forgave me for being right.
“Hey girl”
“Roxie!” We lead ourselves to the gymnasium – I hate gym class. “I heard professor Miller is not here today”.
“Yeah”
“What did you do then?”
Now what? Kathie sees beyond her eyes?
I giggled “Nothing actually” I looked away – I hate lying. “I was at the library”.
I spent the rest of my day edgy, afraid to see the Stalker.
It was a little dreamy, I know, but I did daydream almost every day that I sang. I know my voice isn’t outstanding. Since I was a kid I tried my best to sing just like my favorite singers. The Stalker’s invite was really tempting, but I didn’t even know him...
“Heeeeey, Roxie! I asked if you prefer Ryan in blue or red shirt!”. Kathie said eagerly.
We were having lunch in our tree’s shadow. I didn’t like the canteen. At first, it was my tree, but since Kathie talked to me, it became ours. I wasn’t paying attention on what she was saying. First because The Beatles were playing in my mp3 player. Second because she was babbling about Ryan, that according to her, would be her next date. She talked about him every day, every hour, and every minute of her existence. I hope she dates him soon, at least the name of the boy will change.
I grumbled. She rolled her eyes and looked away, grumpy.
I sighed. “I guess red”.
She smiled in response and continued from where she had stopped, like nothing happened.
Then we heard a screaming, right behind us. Kathie even stopped babbling.
“I told you so!”
“Geez! Dammit dude, she heard you!” An angry voice yelled back.
I turned to where the screaming was coming. I was singing ‘Hey Jude’ and only realized it when I stopped singing it. Three boys were looking – no, staring – at me and Kathie. I took off my earphones while they came nearer.
“Hi” said the Stalker.” Sorry about that” He smiled and set beside me.
“Err.. Hi”. I murmured and blushed.
“Hey, do you wanna sing in our band?” said a dark curly haired boy. He had grayish eyes. He said it like he was demanding it, instead of proposing it. But he kept a slight smile. At least it was something.
When I was about to say something – probably stupid – Kathie spoke.
“You guys want her in your band?” She made a disgusted face.
I wonder why I didn’t like her tone.
“Yeah” said the curly – dark – haired boy, like if it was obvious.
“Don’t you prefer someone like…” She pretended to think about it. Then she looked at him with a flirty smile. “Me?”
Why was I her friend again?
“No” said a boy with red hair and bright blue eyes. He had freckle on his cheek. I like freckles. I wish I had some. I touched my cheek lightly.
“But I can sing. I’m pretty and I’m not afraid of stages” She said smugly “I’ve already sang in a band as well, so I have experience”
Hey! I’m not that bad! Okay, I’m not tall, but I’m slim. My eyes have nothing special; they’re just hazel, sometimes honey. Not her blueish thing. My hair is kind of nice, it’s dark and straight but I prefer it then the blondy here. I’m a bit too much pale as well, but I like it – except for the blushing thing of course. But hey, I’m not that bad!
I realized they were still arguing while I thought about how bad I am. I looked down to my hands and saw they were trembling. Geez. I was about to cry. I hate crying in front of others – I get all red and, well.. – I only do so if I am really desperate or really angry. Right now, I was really angry.
I stood up at once. Everyone looked at me. I ignored them, put my earphones back and walked away to the open field.
I like my school, it’s pretty. There’s this long field and if you walk it all, ‘till it’s end, you’ll see a little lake and beyond it, a forest.
I went to the lake, my secret peaceful place. I loved it. My English class was about to start, but I ignored time. This was my little heaven and I would enjoy it the most – especially if I needed it so much.
I turned off my mp3 player. The silence was heavy and somehow, delightful. I took off my shoes and socks, and dove both my feet in the lake. It was freezing but I kept them there, not moving a muscle.
What was going on? A boy that I’ve never seen in my entire life shows up from nowhere, inviting me to sing in his band – my dream come true – and I deny it. The only person I’ve ever talked in school, the only one I considered my friend suddenly hates me, and treats me like her enemy.
I sighed and laid myself on the grass. I closed my eyes – the Sun was shining high. I started humming a lullaby my mother used to sing for me when I was little. It comforted me. I stayed for about half an hour decumbent, just thinking and humming songs.
“Roxanne!!!” Someone shouted not far away.
I closed my eyes fiercely. I know the tears wouldn’t come out now. It would only happen at my room, in my bed. But I felt myself weak.
“Roxanne” I recognized Stalker. He wasn’t yelling anymore – thankfully. “Girl, you’re hard to find!” He said smiling and sitting by my side.
I didn’t answer. If I spoke a word, I would explode. Instead, I sat down and stared at the forest.
“Hello-o” He said with a singing voice. He put his head in my front, blocking my view. His smile faded. “Roxanne, are you okay?”
He must’ve seen the tiredness I was feeling.
“Hey” He leaned over me, passing his arm around my shoulders. “Is this because of us?”
That did it.
I pulled his arm off me, angry. “What makes you think that I’ll tell you my problems? I don’t even know you!” I said calmly, with a cold voice.
He wasn’t expecting that. “I – I” His eyes were shocked
“Don’t you have any class right now?”
He closed his mouth
“Go away” He didn’t move. “Please.” My voice sounded weaker than it should. The tears would come sooner that I predicted.
He got up and gave a last sad look. He walked away.
I closed my eyes. The tears I was holding were now, running through my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
An so the story begins. Be prepared for some crying *shrugs*