Janice No More

Chapter 9

**Tanner**

I can't believe I just did that. I actually passed into their wretched territory. I took her. I am the leader of my race, well, my part of the race that will not kill the vampires, but if they find out I will be utterly ruined.

"You did it for her." I reminded myself. I was never human. Ever. She made me feel human when I met her in that high school. When I went crazy. I didn't kill her which took me a lot of my mental strength. She was confident that I would put the gun down, though. I've been waiting for her to turn ever since and so was Roland and that horrible Eric.

Eric made my skin crawl. I hated that bastard.

Katherine's soft snoring stuttered quietly. When I appeared back in my chambers of my hidden castle in northern Russia. One of the guards burst through the door.

"Сэр! Мы имеем некоторые новости о шпионах - " he looked at Katherine in my arms. "Сэр! Почему - враг здесь?" he asked shocked making his Russian sound like baby talk. He was asking why I had the enemy.

"Выйдите, Джордж. " I ordered Geroge to leave.

"да, сэр," he stood straight as he bowed then left closing the doors.

I really don't enjoy speaking in Russian. I'd rather teach them English, but most refuse to learn. Almost all of my Kareptons are Russian intead of European like most people expect.

I carried Katherine soundlessly to the bed. Of course when she wakes she will not know where she is or how far away we actually are from her castle. She'll be frightened.

If she remembers how I was maybe she will see me for who I was to her. Someone that loved her and will protect her. I don't want to kill her. I'd soon rather kill myself than that, but if it comes to a fight... I don't know what she might do.

Will she hate me?

She is supposed to kill me and my race, but would she? Could she? For me?

Her eyes slowly fluttered open. She looked around curiously until she saw me without my mask on. She staggered back into the wall. Pillows were on both sides of her.

"Katherine," I started.

She threw a large pillow at me making my head jerk back. She's gotten stronger. I lurched forward and grabbed her wrists. I didn't hold tight enough to break her wrist, but it helped keep her still.

"Why do you want to kill me, Tanner? What have I ever done to you? I was always nice to you!" she screamed, thrashing back and forth in my hold.

I gasped. "What do you mean? I don't want to kill you! Who told you that?" I bet she could hear the despair in my voice. Why would kill someone I love?

"You may not want to kill me, but you sure do want to kill my race. I just didn't know what you were back when I was a niave little girl. I'm not stupid." she assumed. She glared at me. My hands tightened around her wrists and she winced.

"I don't want to kill you or your race. I'm following orders. I'm not the leader of the Kareptons, but I am the next in line for king. I am more like the chief General of the Army. I guess, that's what you could call it. Lots of my fellow Kareptons don't want to go at war with your kind, but what the king says, goes." I searched her face for fear. Confusion? Hate?

She simply smiled.

"Why didn't you just say who you were?" I let go of her wrists and brushed my hand against her cheek. "I've missed you so much since I thought you died." she wrapped her arms around my back interlocking her fingers around me. I hugged her back not hesitating for a second. I always wanted to embrace her like this. She was just so clueless about her vampire life and she had no idea someone was watching her every shift in weight and her every smile. I learned to fall in love with her. It turned out to be as easy as breathing. A necessity just like I need oxygen.

"I love you." I blurted out after I brushed my lips against her hair.

She stiffened.

I pulled my face back and looked at her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Then I realized what it was. Who it was. "Oops. I'm sorry." I said chuckling. She slowly started to smile. "I'm just making things more complicated for you. I apologize." she brought her eyes back down to the covers at her hands. She nervously swiveled her thumbs back and forth.

“It’s okay. It’s my fault.” she confessed. “I’m too likable!” she joked. “What’s so special about me anyway?” she asked me.

I smiled and looked at her as if it were obvious.

“Your beauty, intelligence, kindness, and you are pretty damn good at fighting.” she bit her lip to hide her smile.

“That much?” she seemed shocked.

“There is more. Should I list more?”

“No, thank you.” she commented gruffly.

My cell phone started to ring.

“Excuse me.” I said backing away. I hadn’t realized how close we actually were. “Hello?”

“Sir?” A Russian accent asked. At least this one knew English. “We have some bad news.”

“What kind of bad news?” I asked critically.

“One of the guards called him. He’s on his way. He’s going to kill her.” he said gravely.

“Damn. Do you think you could gather our troops in five minutes?” I asked urgently.

“Already done.”

“Okay.” I sighed relieved. “Take them a few miles from the vampire’s mountain, and tell them any traitors will be killed.”

“Yes, sir.” I hung up, and brought my eyes back to her confused face.

“What’s happening?” she asked. She probably already knew but wanted it to be confirmed.

“The leader is coming. We are leaving.”

“That will make you a traitor. You can’t.” The concern in her voice was unnecessary.

“I’m willing to betray him.”

“For me?” she asked unsure.

“Yes. For you.” I leaned in closer aiming for her lips, but felt her reluctance so I brushed my lips along her cheek.

I lifted her in my arms. “Hold your breath,” I whispered in her ear when she leaned her head against my shoulder. She inhaled a mouthful of air. I chuckled and summoned a portal. The dark purple haze appeared and I ran through it holding onto her tightly as we appeared in a deep forest with snow pouring and the ground covered.

“We’re back?” she asked.

“Yeah. We’re back.” I answered brushing my hand over her hair taking a giant leap into the air over the trees. I could feel the gravity disappear as if it didn’t exist. I was flying weightless across the field of trees into a clearing where my troops waited. Katherine was asleep in my arms. She must be exhausted.

I landed quietly on the soft snow.

The troops and colonels brought their eyes to me.

“Welcome to Northern England, my men!” I bellowed. Katherine’s snores weren’t disrupted. She was sleeping like the dead. I laughed out loud. How ironic.

The troops of Russian men were replaced with their true forms. Their Karepton form. They all howled and yelled with encouragement and angst. They were all on my side. The side that were the vampires. We were the only ones who could help them without cowering before our crazy son of a bitch leader.

Katherine would just have to explain. The ‘council’ won’t be too happy that I took her in the first place, but it was necessary for me and her.

Eric will simply try to kill me once he has her behind him, but Roland, I could convince. He was an old and dear friend. He has to understand.

As the howls and screams continued, I realized that Katherine was back to where she started. Three men.

Poor Katherine. I would apologize, but I don’t want to. Why would I, really?

She was asleep and she looked as beautiful as ever. The glow in her face as the snowflakes fell on her cheek not melting. I brushed them away with my fingertips, and, unable to resist, I pulled my face closer to her and pressed my lips gently to hers.

She didn’t move. I pulled back and continued to watch her protectively through the night.

* * *

I didn't want to leave Katherine alone, so I woke Katherine up and headed toward the face of the mountain which was the entrance. I knew the vampires would come here to find out what the noise was, so I might as well beat them to the punch. I set her down to her feet and we headed down the almost invisible road to see two vampires at both sides of the entrance.

"They'll kill you. Are you sure you want them to take you?" she asked, her eyes wide.

"I'll explain to them we mean no harm." I said simply, shrugging.

"You know they won't believe you." she said flatly.

"That's where you come in." I smiled. "You back me up on my story. Understand?"

She nodded and embraced me one last time as we started to walk forward. She gripped my hand as we got into their sight. The two vampires stared awed and shocked. They could smell the Karepton in my blood. I tried to soften my normal hard composure I had for enemies.

"Katherine?" They bowed obediently as Katherine rolled her eyes. One of them asked examining us until he saw our hands. "Is he the one that took you?" the same one asked.

She chuckled. "Well," she murmured.

They looked at me harshly.

"Leave him alone." she ordered just as harsh. "Get Roland. And Eric," I twitched at his name. "And Priscilla, and Skylar. Along with Joanna and Nathaniel. We all need to talk."

"Katherine. It would probably be best if we took him and you to the castle."

"Why?" she asked. "So the council can judge him simply by what he is like the almost did to me? No. Bring Roland and the ones I mentioned. Only them." she emphasized, growling.

"Yes, ma'am." they answered. Just like that, they were gone.

"Are vampires always like this?" I joked.

She laughed quietly. "Only most of them." she whispered, still laughing.

A few moments later I saw my dear old friend Roland and the glaring Eric with Skylar standing close to Priscilla. I haven't seen Priscilla in a while. It's nice to know she finally has someone. She was always incredibly lonely. She smiled to me. At least someone was happy to see me. Eric, however, was not as exuberant. The woman that I guess was Joanna and Nathatniel stood behind Roland clinging to each other nervously.

"Hello, Tanner." Roland greeted reaching for my hand. "It's great to see you again."

I didn't entirely trust this gesture. He was probably pissed off at me for taking Katherine away. Better for my health if I don't shake his hand. I know all too well what he can do with his powers. I kept my hands by my side, unsure.

"Roland." I said simply bowing.

"So are you going to explain why you took her?" Eric tried to say politely. I could tell he tried. He was gritting his teeth and balling up his fists trying. I might have done the same if I was as crazy as he was. Crazy in love. I mentally imagined being as crazy in love as him and laughed in my head. No doubt, Priscilla heard. She was chuckling at the thought up image.

"Yes." I paused. "As long as you promise me protection from the council."

"In exchange?" Roland quoted.

"For information and Katherine." I answered. "You know I can help. My troops and I are waiting for orders. We are on your side." Eric laughed.

"What's so funny, Eric?" Katherine asked, shocked. Eric stopped laughing and looked back to Katherine. "It's true. He wants to help. I know him. I knew him back before I even knew about this crap and you. When I was fifteen. During that shooting." she finished sadly. A blood red tear started to fall gently down her cheek. I lifted our hands that were intertwined to wipe away her tear. She smiled to me then glanced back at them.

"Eric, I'm sorry." Katherine apologized.

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked her. "You hurt his feelings. Whoopty doo." she stared at me hurt. She jerked her hand out of mine. "I'm sorry. I really am. But no matter what you will have to hurt people in the future. I care about you a lot, but that's what is going to happen."

She inhaled a huge mouthful of air. My guess, she's trying not to cry. I brought my eyes down to my feet and sighed.

"Deal." Roland answered finally breaking the silence. I looked back up.

"But Roland..." Eric interjected.

"But nothing, Eric." Roland ordered with his dangerous voice. "We need him. He has been to all the forts, secret hideouts, castles, armories, and, most importantly, he knows battle plans and formations. He might as well have been the king who betrayed his people for all the knowledge we could get from him."

"Priscilla can get all of the infomation out of his head. She's probably doing right now. We don't need him." he said grimly.

"Eric!" Katherine yelled irritated. "Stop being immature. This is to help us. Don't think about what you think is the 'new' competition." she probably didn't notice the hurt that crossed Eric's face, but the rest of us did. She could've but she didn't stop. "Stop being so petty about these things and think about what might happen if we don't have his help." she finished with fury in her eyes. This must be an every day thing for her. She gazed back into Eric's eyes. Her face softened and her eyes started to shine with unshed tears. She swallowed and closed her eyes.

"Maybe we should head to the castle." I suggested. My voice was wary as I spoke to Katherine.

"Yeah." she was able to choke out. She smiled up at me with her green eyes locking onto mine then letting go too soon. "Let's go." she said.

* * *

The castle was much more extravagent than I thought it'd be. I was taught that vampires were monsters who only drank blood whenever they had a chance. But I always thought that couldn't be true. We were probably precieved the same way in their eyes. Unlike vampires, we actually looked the part of 'monster'. Unless we changed into our human form, but most perferred to be what they were born as. I was in Roland's chambers with the others while Katherine slept. She nearly collapsed when we walked through the foyer. My troops were accomodated with the large guest rooms. I ordered them to stay in the rooms and not make too much noise. We don't want the council to be suspicious when they come back and smell our blood.

She didn't snore, so we weren't bothered by her low breathing. Eric watched her with pain-stricken eyes. I couldn't observe him much longer without being sympathetic because he was in pain. She didn't like seeing him in pain, and no matter how much he makes my skin crawl, I should apologize.

"For what?" Priscilla whispered to me. She was sitting next to me on the pure white sofa with Skylar snoring by her side. His arm was around her waist, but she was able to lean close to me without waking him.

"For making Katherine-"

"She had to. She has to go through a lot more in the future and she has to get a thick skin. You may have hurt her, but it was for her benefit. Apologize if you want, but it would do no help for how he thinks she feels about him. He's already heart-broken."

"Now, why did you have to tell me that? I can tell. I have eyes and a brain." I said instantly feeling guilty.

"Just thought you should be confirmed of his thoughts."

I sighed heavily.

"Hey, Eric?" I said. He didn't look at me, but he stiffened. "I'm sorry, man." I started out with a simple apology. "For how she-"

"Why are you apologizing to me, Karepton?" Eric coldy and intensly asked.

"Because she hurt you."

"Oh, you're turning soft? Thought so. She does that to people. She did that to me when I first met her back in Russia so many years ago. Back when Rasputin was rising in power. Those were bad times, but she made it worth while." I couldn't even tell if he was talking to me anymore. "She was beautiful, smart, and damn good fighter. Back before that incident."

"Incident?" I asked curiously.

"Something involving," he sighed as if the memory was too painful. "death, rage, and craziness."

I waited watching him. His eyes never left Katherine's figure. She turned on her side restlessly. "She was... we were together then, and she started to have some bad nightmares. They were so bad she started screaming in the night. I slept with her always watching her waiting for her to start screaming and crying. I'd comfort her and try to help her sleep, but she couldn't stop dreaming of whatever was bothering her. She never told me what she was scared of, but she..."

"She?" I repeated after a moment of quiet.

"She went outside walking around with her sword and that kind of scared me. I followed her with Joanna and Nathaniel. We were nervous because the fact she was walking away with her sword and she didn't stop when I called for her." he closed his eyes. His voice began uneven. "We finally got to her and she was shaking, crazed." Priscilla went rigid next to me and closed her eyes as she silently hummed to herself. "She was attacking a small village, literally in the middle of nowhere. I tried with all of my heart to get her out of her... state. But nothing helped." he opened his eyes and finally looked at me. "I'd rather not go into the details. If you really wish to presist it further then you can talk to Priscilla. She just saw the memory." he brought his eyes back to Katherine.

I turned my head to the left and leaned my head against the arm of the couch. I yawned quietly instantly curious and sorry for bothering about that 'incident' with Eric. I could kind of understand where he's coming from. That's how I felt when I went insane during that shooting and I'm sure Katherine felt the same toward it just like Eric felt toward her.

I only pretended to be dead at that shooting because it would be an easy way to get away from Katherine, so she'd be safe from me and my fellow Kareptons. If they knew about her surviving that gunshot that should have killed her... she would have been killed.

Because of me.

I don't think I'd be able to live being the reason the person I love most dies... I don't know what would happen to my heart.

Great. Now I sound like a little sensitive adolescent fifteen year old girl that thinks she's in love with a jackass. Ha.

I chuckled quietly and heard a soft melodic laugh next to me. I nudged Priscilla in the chest. It hurt. I probably have a bruise now. I tried to stop thinking as I dreamt. Dreamt of my past and my hopeful future.
♠ ♠ ♠
REMEMBER TO COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, AND RATE!!!!