Janice No More

Chapter 11 Love Isn't Simple

He stared at me his big blue eyes full of adoration. I could believe every word he said... hell, I would have said, "Yes! Let's get married now!" I did love him and I would definitely have him as my husband but I had to remember the other two.

I could feel my eyes tear up with joy and sadness. I got on my knees, so I could be at eye level with him. I began to smile.

"Yes. I will remember you and I will take this ring." I held my hand out and he slid the ring onto my marriage finger. "I love you." I reminded him.

He took my face into his hands and kissed me urgently not holding back when I tangled my fingers into his hair. He stopped for a short second.

"I love you too." He reminded. We stared into ech other's eyes for a moment until his lips found their way back to mine after trailing his lips from my neck playfully up to my lips. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he picked me up with my legs around his waist. He continued kissing me as we made our way to the couch. I heard him gasp with a laughs from us both while his hand moved to the bottom of my shirt. He pulled it off with ease and I reached for the bottom of his, but it was already gone.

"Did you plan this?" I whispered jokingly when his lips traveled to my collarbone.

"Oh yeah. It was all apart of my plan. Plan to butter up Katherine and then have sex with her." He replid with a sarcastic tone to his voice. I laughed when his breath tickled my skin and his hand traveled to the button of my jeans.

But he froze before he could reach it. I heard him cuss under his breath as his body disappeared from atop mine. I sat up and saw him throw my shirt to me when he was dressed. I put on the shirt and was about to ask what was wrong but he dragged me behind the door and held his hand over my mouth when it swung open.

"I could have sworn I saw someone come up here, Rick." A man pleaded.

"There is no one up here now get back to the kitchen and clean up." Rick's voice was familiar and I realized it was the same Rick that greeted me in the foyer. When their footsteps were gone Eric sighed in relief and let my mouth loose.

"Sorry about the interruption." Eric apologized smoothly. "Where were we..." he trailed off.

I was happy that we were alone, but I forgot the main reason we were here. The secrets and talking was the primary objective, but the romantic stuff was distracting not that I was complaining.

"I actually just wanted to talk, but you old romantic! You had to distract me..." I said jokingly.

He smiled trying to hide his disappointment. "Well, what did you want to know before I distracted you? How did I distract you again?" He asked walking to me caressing my cheek.

"Nice try." I muttered. "Now I really have some serious questions." I sat down with my legs folded on the couch waiting for him to sit next to me.

He was being stubborn. He sat down in front of me on the ground at arm's length. "What do you want to ask?"

"Some things I don't know about vampires and our way of life. I don't know most of the things about myself or how I'll live in this vampire world so let's start there." I proposed.

"Well, we vampires are very strong creatures... but once we reproduce we lose strength because we give some of our immortality to our children causing us to age or weaken. Everyone will do it eventually, unless they never have children."

"What if a girl is turned at a young age like two and she's never able to age or have her period or whatever?" I asked mystified.

"That is against the rules. If that happens we would have no choice but to destroy it and the maker." he said darkly. It seemed to disgust him.

"That's horrible! A little child..." I whispered.

"It's very rare that it happens, but it happens. I know." he said his voice sounded vulnerable.

"It happened to you." I assumed.

"No." he corrected. "I've had to... execute a... a little girl and my sister." His voice was cracking. He was about to cry. I could feel it coming. He bent his head down and was wiping his fingers under his eyes leaving his hands bloody.

I crawled over to him wrapping my arm around his shoulder. I brought his head to face me. He was crying. He reached out and held my face with one of his hands wiping his thumb on my cheek. I was crying, too. His pain was my pain.

"You don't have to tell me what happened." I whispered as he tried to recollect himself.

"Thank you." he said.

"What about the kids?" I asked trying to change the subject. "Are the kids officialy immortal or not?"

"The children are immortal. Once they reach eighteen or in some cases twenty they stop aging. And the process begins again."

"I was created, so that whole thirty years as a vampire and the few years of being human is my destiny until I give birth to vampires?" I questioned slightly confused.

"Yes. Every created vampire becomes human about two to three years before their actual age. In your case you start when you're fifteen." He said smoothly. His voice wasn't as vulnerable now.

"What about you? How old are you?" I asked.

"I stopped aging at eighteen."

"When do male vampires begin to age? They don't give birth or get pregnant so what about them?" I joked.

"They start to age once they have.... um.... impregnanted a female." he explained awkwardly.

"What is the rate of aging?"

"The same speed as humans. When we finally reach a hundred years of age

"Oh." I murmured. "How can we be killed? I know Kareptons can be killed with our blood but what about us? Are we killed by their blood?" I was so full of questions at this point.

"Well if their blood is on us for too long then yes we would die, but the main way they slaughter us is..."

"Eat us?" I blurted out accidentally.

He laughed. "No. Any other way people die. Cutting off our heads, stabbing us in our hearts, and our poison."

"Poison? We're pretty easy to kill." I joked flatly.

"It used to be poison but the only poison that could kill us is gone and extinct." he explained, showing no impatience.

"What about all those rumors like Count Dracula, the prince being a vampire?"

"Oh, I had the pleasure of meeting him shortly before he died. A quick pleasure. I executed him."

"Why?"

"He kept showing off his to drink blood without gagging and spreading rumors, so we started a whole story that never happened. He was pretty funny though. He kept screaming I will kill you!" He mimicked a Romanian accent with his voice to perfection.

I snickered and let out a yawn.

"Time for bed." Eric stated. He brushed my hair back and stroked under my eyes.

"I'm sorry. I"m really sleepy. Are all vampires so sleepy?" I yawned again with my hand over my mouth as we stood.

"Well you've just become a vampire again, so you will lose human needs around a few months. I've never really felt any human needs except a nap or two and hunger... but you look like a human who hasn't slept in days." He picked me up into his arms and I closed my eyes drifting for a few moments in his very comfortable embrace. Too soon he released me and placed me on my bed in Roland's chambers.

I barely opened my eyes to watch Eric sit down at the edge of the bed watching me carefully while he lightly traced his fingers up and down along my leg, sending a flash of desire and adoration. He smiled softly when I shivered a little at his touch. I pretended to sleep until he started to trace my leg again. I squinted my eyes open and watched him until I found sleep.

"I love you," he whispered. Screw sleep! I opened my eyes and brought my body up placing my lips on his. He smiled against my lips, but I continued to show him my love.

"I love you, too." I said clearly against his still lips. My breathing had become erratic and my almost silent heart was pounding harder and I could feel each beat urging me to lean forward and let him take me.

He kissed me again, abruptly.

"Now please go to sleep." He said faintly.

"Fine." I muttered rembering how sleepy I actually was.

I flopped back to the mattress absorbed in it's softness and comfort. I buried my face against the pillow and felt Eric's body leave the bed.

That triggered my senses to get out of bed. Where is he?

I heard faint angry whispers from what seemed like a room away. I got out of bed and walked without any sound to the door leading to where the voices were coming from. I cracked the door open. Roland, Eric, Tanner, and Priscilla were arguing and Skylar was fast asleep on the couch.

"What were you thinking?" Roland's angred voice bellowed.

"That I love her," I recognized the slight vulnerability in his voice, "and that there was no reason why I shouldn't tell her how I feel an show her..."

"Silence!" Roland's voice was in pure fury now.

"Roland, don't be angry. He is just as in love with her as you if not more. Either way, you should be happy for her. If she picks him or you or Tanner, she will still love all of you. She is going through a lot with this too." She calmed him. Her eyes flashed to me for a second and she knew I was there, but she wouldn't tell them. She wanted me to hear what they had to say.

"You're right." He sighed.

"So what do we do if she picks me the Karepton? Will that mean peace?" Tanner wondered. "I'm serious." he added when their stares turned angered.

"I don't know. Maybe. Or not." Roland said. "Let's think realistically, if you don't mind, Tanner. You know how your leader is so don't taunt this decision."

"I mean it! He has a fondness to... Karepton children and their mothers whether they are human, vampire, or Karepton."

Eric started to laugh. "You really think he'll let her live once she becomes pregnant? The moment she turns pregnant he will attack. Until then he is leaving us alone while he prepares. So we must prepare, too."

"Then why did you try to have sex with her tonight?" Tanner scowled.

Eric stopped laughing. "Because I love her and I know how to use a condom. We've had sex before. We're not idiots." I noticed that Roland and Tanner went rigid and felt uncomfortable as they were mad.

I didn't want to hear anymore arguing. I was tearing friendships apart because they loved me. Well, I hated myself at that point.

I crawled under my covers of the bed. Why was I always within temptation? No. Why was I the temptation? I am like the forbidden fruit that Eve ate in the Forest of Eden. I am the forbidden fruit and I could cause you to lose your way of life... why can't they see that?

"Because they love you." Priscilla's voice said softly with anger. "Didn't I tell you to stop hating yourself?"

"I wasn't..."

"Don't lie to a mind reader, Katherine." Priscilla said stiffly.

A whistle blew me out of thought and I immediately pounced forward where Edward was.

I landed on nothing except the mat. What the hell? Again! I got back up and analyzed around me until I saw.... Oh, God!

There was a Karepton with Edward in his hand barely breathing with one of his arms gone. I could see his hand hanging out of the Karepton's mouth. They must have disguised themselves as one of us. Dammit!

"Kareptons!" One screamed.

"There are more!" Another yelped.

"Everyone grab your weapons! You know how to fight them! Now go!" I ordered running to get my sword. The general was throwing out the weapons to the recruits while I stifled through them to find mine.

"Katherine," General Kale started. I kept looking but listened, "we have to help keep these recruits alive. They might not survive. Just do what you do, and we'll both protect them until Roland and the others return."

"How much longer until they get back?" I stood and saw there were over fifteen Kareptons around the room attacking each vampire they could. Edward was still in that one Karepton's hand.

"At least half an hour." He finished.

I left and started to worry. I held the end of the sword to my hand and sliced it slowly across until blood dripped onto the sword. I closed my eyes for a moment and flashed them open when I heard a scream. I had no fear or worry now. I began to run between each vampire and Karepton who were fighting, killing Kareptons or aiding those who needed an advantage with the Kareptons.

''Our blood kills them! Use your blood!" A recruit yelled with victory.

I finally reached Edward's body that was on the ground nearly lifeless, but he was still breathing.

Most Kareptons in the room were dead or being killed as I took each breath. A lager Karepton appeared from a purple smoke like fog and simply stood there staring down at us. We all stopped where we were because each Karepton was dead. A recruit next to me was anxious and almost ran forward, but I stopped him.

"Go find some vampires with healing abilities and get back here. Go." He nodded and ran around the room asking everyone.

"This was a warning for you all. Just to see what you have ahead." his deep demonic voice was the one that was in my head. I could tell. He looked down at me. "Until you are pregnant, Katherine, we will stay away but send warnings to remind you. I can't speak to you through your mind anymore because you have become much stronger, mentally and physically. If we weren't enemies, I'd be impressed. For now, goodbye." He slowly evaporated into the same purple like fog as he laughed evilly. That's when everyone began to react.

Edward was still on the ground barely breathing, but the recruit brought back some people.

"Come on, guys! Do something." I pressed, as I eyed each one who did nothing but stare.

One snapped out of it. "I think I can help him."

"I think we both can. I have a mild healing power, but put together I think we could save him." I told him.

He got onto his knees next to me putting his hand on Edward's chest. He gazed at me then to Edward. I put my hand next to his on Edward's chest. I didn't know how to do it, but I concentrated on healing him when I felt a sudden harsh force run through my hand and into Edward. He gasped loudly and his body arched forward with his chest inches off the ground.

I backed away on my knees while the other vampire helping did the same. Edward suddenly stopped moving.

"Didn't we help him? Why did he die?" I asked the person who placed a hand on my shoulder.

"You did." A familiar voice sounded.

"Roland?" I muttered. I raised my eyes to see him looking down at me. His unmistakable smile greeted me with a warmness that didn't involve his sarcasm that ruined the feelings I felt with him.

"I missed you, too." He said seductively, lifting me off my feet and into his embrace with my head buried in his chest.

"I missed all of you."

"Are you okay?" He asked lifting my chin up with his index finger.

"Yes. Those Kareptons weren't that difficult to defeat." I said proudly.

"Well, let's check on Edward. I think he is alright." He kissed me for a quick moment then let go of me. Another pair of arms held me gently against their body. The person kissed my forehead, my cheek, then my lips.

"Eric. I missed you." I whispered as I kissed him once more.

"I was only gone for a few hours." He sighed with a smile. "Well, you didn't miss me for too long, I hope."

I smiled embarrassed. I waved to Priscilla as she hurried by to help Edward. Eric left, too. I watched them and stood by nervously biting my thumb nail. Arms wrapped around me and I knew who this was. I turned and kissed Tanner. After the kiss I hugged him happily, glad to see him again.

"I guess you missed me." Tanner said.

"I guess I did. Well, you and I haven't really been together since we got back from Russia, so how about tonight we go explore the castle and just talk." I proposed.

"I'd love to. However, right now we have some business to take care of." He pointed down to Edward who was squirming at their touch.

"What's wrong with Edward?"

"He's starting to turn into a Karepton." Priscilla said quietly. "When he was being eaten and trying to get out of it's mouth he cut it and it's blood somehow got into his system. He's turning very quickly."

"Can't we do something to help?" I wondered.

"Yeah, we can." Priscilla answered handing me my sword that was on the ground.

"No. No. I'm not doing that. There has to be some other way to help him. I'm not going to kill him and tell myself that it was for the safety of everyone. I won't." I backed away watching Edward start to change.

I saw his bone poke through his skin, and I heard his high pitched screams. The skin began to stress over the bone until it finally broke through gushing blood. His eyes rolled up and down and started to bleed. My lips quivered and I couldn't do anything but shake slightly gripping my sword. Everyone watched me and waited for me to do it.

"No! I won't." I grabbed my sword and took off toward the staircase leading back upstairs. I still heard his screames even as I got to the stairs. They didn't stop. Servants stared down the staircase leading downstairs while I ran off.

I stormed off feeling my eyes tear up. I blinked and used my vampire speed to get me to my room, so I would barely notice anyone. I finally got to the bed I would eventually cry into.

I don't think I can do this. I don't think I could kill someone that I knew. I know I can't. I propped my knees up and laid my head against them closing my eyes.

"I'm sorry you had to see that. I wish I could have killed him, but he was just like lots of others I've seen. I couldn't do it just like you." Tanner said quietly soothing me. I raised my head and saw him seat next me petting his hand on the back of my head.

I knew Tanner was such a sweetheart and that's one of the many things I liked about him. His dark red hair was short and looked very smooth with his manly exposure. In his face there was, however, this softness and kindness about him. I knew that. He is probably one of the best things that has happened to me.

The best thing was I never flinched from his touch. I remembered what he did at East Ridge, but I barely thought of it now. It didn't matter. It still hurt to think about, but it wasn't as important as it used to be.

"I know. I haven't seen any of your troops around. Are they avoiding my people?" I joked.

He laughed. "They don't like it here. They were taught to hate vampires, but I'm teaching them otherwise or else they wouldn't be here. They are warming up to you, though."

"Oh, don't I feel special. Everyone somehow warms up to me. How and why?" I asked, confused. At least I stopped crying.

"You are very... well, sweet and real. You make everyone feel welcome and loved, I guess. That's just me," He smiled. I smiled back feeling warm inside.

"Thanks for being so sweet." I said finally not crying anymore.

Suddenly I had a funny thought. I giggled.

"What's so funny?" He asked putting his arm around my waist pulling me to him.

"I just... realized how much of a soap opera my life really was. Death, love triangles, conspiracy, and feuds." I laughed again. "You know what the only bad thing about a soap opera is?"

"The over-dramatic break-up scenes?" He guessed.

"No. When you're in one." I said quietly.

"True." He muttered. "I've been in one for the past hundred and thirty years. You'll be fine." Tanner said jokingly.

"Tanner. Tell me a little about your past." I wondered. "Only if you feel like talking about it." I added.

"Well, first," he stood and headed for the door and locked it, "so no one interrupts our conversation since no one ever feels like knocking around here." I giggled at that remark.

"Only a couple here and there." I agreed.

"Well, where do you want to start? When I got assigned to watch you at school?" He questioned.

"You were assigned?" I said curiously.

"Yes. We had just found out from a spy that was with the vampires you were there, so my leader got me to go since I was the strongest. I never thought I'd fall for you." I blushed at that while he continued, "I got there with false parents then started to be an outcast that you never really noticed. Well, I was glad about that at the time. I constantly watched you to see if your vampire blood would be awakened but it never did. I waited for a long time."

"Sorry. Maybe I should have just turned then and let you kill me. It would save a lot of time now." I joked dryly with no humor.

He stared at me through angry eyes. "How could you say that?" He asked softly with anger under the softness of the whisper.

"I was just joking. You can go on with the story."

He scoffed and continued with his face still furious.

"Well, as I kept watching you I found things I loved about you after the first week. We were lab partners in Biology and even though I looked eighteen I pretended to be fifteen to watch you more closely no one really noticed. They just stayed away because of their instincts that told them to keep away," He stopped and laughed, "I was honestly surprised when you spoke to me in Biology. You were so nice and so... beautiful. You had no vampire blood yet, but you were as beautiful as they were. Usually Kareptons and myself are disgusted by the beauty of you vampires, yet I held no disgust, hate, or jealousy. All I felt was warmth in my face when I saw you." I smiled as he did.

"But.. I remember something." I added. "After I was taken to the hospital the doctor told me I was one of the luckiest patients he ever had. He said I should have died from all the blood I lost but I lived. Why?"

"You see," He started, thinking, "when you vampires turn human your vampire blood only awakens when you are on the verge of blood, which makes the blood heal you, or when you are being attacked."

"So I healed myself?"

"Yes." He answered simply.

"Why..." I looked down to my knees, "why did you bring a gun to school anyway?"

He blinked and shut his eyes.

"I really hate myself for doing that." He sighed. "I knew I'd lose control. My leader told me to kill you now even though you were human because I found out that Gage was a vampire posing as your boyfriend. He didn't care about you. He just wanted prestige for taking you back to Roland and being rewarded. He sacrificed himself to save you. He knew I cared about you, so I tried to pose as the depressed suicidal killer. I knew I couldn't just turn into a Karepton!" He exclaimed. "If someone survived, there would be no stopping them from telling what they saw," He opened his eyes that were gleaming.

"I'm sorry that I caused you such...," I swallowed the lump in my throat and closed my eyes, "pain. I wish I was never born."

He grabbed my face with both of his hands and held my face. My eyes flashed open and his were filled with tears that were slowly falling. My mouth quivered while I reached to wipe them away.

"How could you say that? I love you and I don't know what my life would be if you weren't here. Don't regret being born when you are so loved. I don't want you to go. I don't want to lose you like I almost did. I might lose you to one of them but I'd rather it be that way than you dying," His heavy breaths blew in my face while he kept trying to get the words out. "I don't... I know... I won't survive that pain," his voice was uneven and he was so close. His hands fell from my face and I took the chance the hold him in my arms to hug him.

"I'm sorry. I won't ever die on you. I promise," I let my face bury into his chest and my tears to come, "I never want to hurt you. I don't... I know I don't... and so do you. I-I..." I couldn't speak anymore. I did nothing but cry into his shirt that was being stained with the blood red tears I cried.

He quietly shushed me as he brushed his fingers in my blond hair. He stopped crying and pulled my entire body into his arms letting him hold me as he cradled.

"I'm such a cry baby. I cry about everything bad that happens." I giggled with a smile. Joking always make the tears go away.

"You have your moments." He whispered moving his head to kiss my cheek. I sighed.

"Yeah...." I trailed off resting in his arms while my eyelids became heavy. I yawned and cuddled into his chest feeling his heart beat quietly.

"Tanner?"

"Yes?" He muttered.

I really wanted to know this. I had to know. I opened my eyes and got to eye level with him.

"Can you really turn a vampire back into a human?"
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE REMEMBER TO GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK!!!! COMMENT AND TELL ME WHAT AND WHO YOU LOVE AND HATE!!!