Janice No More

Chapter 7 "We're going to a ball?"

“Katherine, wake up.” Joanna whispered, moving my shoulders up and down a little as my eyes slowly opened to the bright light above us.

“What is it?” I groaned, letting out a yawn.

"You need to get up. I need to do your hair before we get off for the ball.”

“Is Skylar up, yet?” I asked ignoring her.

“Yes, but he needs to drink some blood, so we got our stewardess to donate some telling her he’s lost a lot of blood instead of saying he was a vampire. She is really sleepy right now from all th blood she’s lost, so she’ll think it was just dream. He’ll be back to normal when we land. Either go do your hair, or I’ll do it for you.” She smiled devilishly.

“Fine." I reached into my bag and got my brush and straightner and hurried to the other bathroom with a mirror. I brushed through my blond hair and black highlights that somehow stayed blended with the blond. I straightned my thin hair one handful at a time than soon brushed my hair into a side ponytail letting hair fall onto my chest.. I took one last look at myself and nodded impressed with it.

“Miss Sinclair?” A voice sounded outside my door. “It’s me, Kate. The stewardess? We are about to land and we need you in your seat.”

“Okay,” I came out with my hair materials in my hand.

“You look gorgeous, Miss Sinclair.” Kate complimented.

“Thanks.” I walked by her and opened the back curtain seeing the three men I love and Nathaniel dressed beautifully in black tuxedos. They all appraised me with smiles while Nathaniel walked by me to join Joanna. Skylar was the first person I noticed. He didn’t look much different than the others. He was just as beautiful, but he didn’t seem like he has changed. Eric was the next one I saw. Eric was the first man I met at that hotel and he loved me even when I didn’t know about. I hurt him so much in the past when we loved each other. I still do, but I don’t know if I love him more than Roland or Skylar. Then there’s Roland. My first impression of him was ‘He’s a selfish jackass.’, but he doesn’t seem that way now. I felt like I did know him when we first met, but that’s because he turned me into what I am today. He did it to save me and my sister. But he left us. He told me he did it so we would not be bothered or worse by other members of the council and the royal family. I believe him, its just I could have taken it. I would have fought back. But......if he didn’t do that, I wouldn’t have met Skylar, I wouldn’t have been where I am today, and I would be married in a mansion right now if he did take me. I should thank him not be mad with him.

I stopped thinking when I tripped forward when we hit turbulence. I hit my head as I landed on the carpeted floor. It didn’t hurt a lot, but I did feel a bit of a bruise. I felt arms help me up and the pain was gone. I looked around and saw the three beautiful vampires helping me up.

“Guys.” I complained. “Once again, I’m not helpless.” They let go of me except Roland. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder like I was already his wife.

“We have to act like we are engaged im front of the guests, darling, so please, be nice. I already told your other lovers, so don’t worry about hurting their feelings.” Roland whispered as we headed toward the large shuttle door. I looked back at Eric and Skylar before the door opened, and they simply smiled at me. I smile back at them and turned back toward the shuttle door.

“Here comes the bride.” I mumbled sarcastically through my smile as we walked out the door where the full moon was out and shining down on us, illuminating my skin. Lights were glowing from the ground while I had been looking up to the starry sky.

We were standing at the top of the stairs over top a hoard of people with cameras flashing and people cheering. I smiled embarrassed as we walked down the stairs. I wasn’t used to being the center of attention. I was much more used to being an outcast. I didn’t quite know what to do, so I just smiled as Roland’s arm lowered to my waist. He stopped in front of the cameras and kissed me in front of the camera. I kissed back, but he pulled away and we kept walking to the black limo waiting for us. I took a small whiff and realized these people weren’t humans but vampires. We were famous in the vampire world apparently. After all, she is promised to me since I turned her into one of the strongest and most loved vampires in this world. I remembered what he said. One of the most loved vampires in this world? Why was I the most loved when I haven’t even known this world existed? That doesn’t make any sense. When we got into the limo and everyone else followed, I asked Roland some questions that needed to be answered.

“Roland, why exactly am I famous?” I asked.

“Because you are engaged to me and according to what I tell everyone, you are one of the strongest vampires known to this world.” He smiled in the same sarcastic way as always.

“Why did you have to drag her into your materialistic world?” Eric questioned simply controlling his anger.

“Because, lover boy, she is engaged–”

The next thing I knew Eric was flying across the small radius of the distance between us tackling Roland against the leather seats. He wasn’t hitting him or attacking him, but he was just looking at him like he was going to rip his throat out. The limo swayed slightly as he jumped him. Hands tightly around his neck.

“She is not engaged to you. She doesn’t have to be if she doesn’t want your life. I’ve known her much longer than you have. I know what she wants and this is not it. You may love her, and she may love you, but she wouldn’t want this life. Do what’s best for her, not yourself.” He was literally shaking from the fury in his voice. I could hear his teeth grinding together.

Roland didn’t say anything. He actually was shocked that Eric had the guts to attack him. The bodyguards, amazingly, did nothing; they stared toward me like I was supposed to do something. I was wide-eyed as I looked to Eric.

“Eric,” I whispered. He cranked his head to me with crazed eyes. Frightened feelings started to churn up inside me. I tried to keep the emotions from reaching my face as I spoke. “Let him go. You’re scaring me right now.” I took a deep breath trying to block out the tears. “Let him go.” I whispered again letting my voice soften without breaking.

His face softened and his blue cold eyes molted into liquid. His fingers loosened around Roland’s neck. He backed away slowly falling back into his seat while Roland’s slow shallow breathing became normal again. Skylar just watched incredulously.

I got up and sat next to Eric leaning my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around me pulling my body closer.

“I’m sorry, Katherine.” He whispered against my face. He kissed my cheek and held onto me tighter.

“I, for one, am terribly sorry, Eric.” Roland apologized, unexpectingly. I could hear Eric scoff under his breath. “I mean it. I’m sorry for you, too, Katherine.” I turned to face him. His face was apologetic, of course, but it could be fake, so I would keep him on my good side. I looked away. “I really am sorry. If you really don’t...want this life, I can tell them... everyone we are no longer engaged. I don’t want you to be a part of a life you don’t want. I should have known you wouldn’t want this life. I’m fucking retarded and I apologize. Is that what you want?” I looked back to him. He was actually being selfless...I was completely shell-shocked. He actually meant every word he spoke. I took in a mouthful of air in disbelief and choked on releasing it.

“I don’t want this life, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want you.” I looked back from Roland’s face to Skylar’s then to Eric’s. “I want all of you, but I don’t know which one I want more. Right now, we can’t focus on our situation. We need to focus on the fight we have ahead of us. We will figure this all out after the fight is over.” I couldn’t believe how wise and smart I sounded.

“You’re right. We all have a fight ahead of us, and we can’t deal with this problem right now. No matter how much it irks us to be around each other and share her.” Skylar added. “ I hate it as much as either of you, but it’s the only way we can stay focused on the task at hand.”

We all sat in silence while the limo drove slowly to our destination past small English towns and human townspeople looking bewildered by the amount of cars traveling behind the limo we were in. These were humans, so we had to be careful not to draw suspicion even though we already were. We sat in that limo for hours driving to an unknown place.

“Where are we going, Roland?” I asked him with a yawn as I lifted my head off of Eric’s shoulder.

“We are going to a secret place where humans would have no luck of finding or getting to. Inside a mountain.” He smiled at my dumbfounded expression.

“Inside a ...mountain?” I repeated stupidly. “How are we supposed to get into a mountain?”

“Katherine. There are many vampires with...special techniques. They can make these things easier than it would actually be. No worries, darling.” Roland said like I was an incoherent ten year-old.

The limo came to a stop. Roland opened the door and got out facing a bare side of a mountain. I got out and followed standing a fair distance behind him scanning our surroundings. We must have been in the middle of a forest because there were trees all around us and the bare side of the mountain in front of us. I felt rocks below my feet and looked down to see gravel mixed with the lush green grass.

I brought my eyes back up quickly as I heard a loud grinding noise like someone was scratching their nails against a chalkboard. I covered my ears and saw Roland not moving just staring at the rock. I finally realized what he was doing. The bare side of the mountain began to disappear and be gone all together. To my surprise, the fellow vampires in the cars behind us were sitting there like it was a regular thing. When the rock was gone, Roland asked me to get into the limo and drive ahead. We all obeyed and our driver continued driving. I looked back at Roland through the dark tinted windows as we drove through the mountain

I expected to see bats hanging from stalagmites as soon as we entered the cave, but it was different. Inside it looked like a grand hall in a palace. The ground wasn’t carpeted, but wooden. All of our cars drove through the hall moving with the turns and curves in the halls. I saw paintings of many beautiful vampires with different things about each. Some were paintings of the vampires in action, others were formal pictures with them and, what I guess would be, their families, and one picture I found shocking and interesting. It was of me and Roland. We were dressed in an outfit of fighting clothing with tears and shreds of clothing around us, me holding my sword and Roland with fire floating around one hand and another arm around me, and the Kareptons coming from all directions.

I stared at it angrily as we drove by it. But the one next to it caught my eye. It was of a beautiful woman similar to me, but older and she was pregnant. The painting looked extremely old. An inscription below by an unknown prophet. It said, “One full moon’s night you will find a young vampire girl of seventeen amongst humans. She is much more powerful than she will appear. Don’t underestimate her. She will face many hardships and incidents as she comes to find out about herself and what she is meant to do. She will age into a beautiful and strong fighter and thy will have to protect her at all costs and her baby when she gives birth. She will fall in love with a man and defeat her enemies with him by her side. Whether she fails or succeeds depends on how strong she is. The time is not set, but it will happen...one day.” She held a sword like she was ready to fight even though she was vulnerable and risking another life. I know I would never put my baby’s life at risk if I ever did get pregnant.

There was a large Karepton behind her that looked like he was their leader, a man standing next to her with his face hidden only showing a side of his face while he faced the opposing Kareptons, a full moon illuminated above her letting snow cascade down to her giving a more mysterious look to it while the clouds surrounded the moon instead of blocking it, and snowy mountains in the background. It was amazing how detailed the prophet was when he painted it. He must have seen it. He had to have been very connected to the spirts or whatever.

The car kept going when we reached the end of the dark hall, and I saw a whole other world. It was like someone put a whole new small world into another with no contact with each other.

I saw another moon and another starry sky above us that I didn’t expect. I half-expected to see the pointed and rocky ceiling with a group of vampires at the end dressed in dresses and tuxedos dancing to a radio. I saw rolling hills with a black concrete road leading to a large castle-like mansion on top of a far hill with small lanterns along the roads leading to the mansion. I eyed it in amazement with Skylar. Eric wasn’t as amazed as we were with it. Of course, he’s been here before, so he probably isn’t all that excited about being there.

When we finally got closer I saw all the details I couldn’t make out from a distance. The stone and brick used to build the castle were kept together with a mortar that hasn’t been used since God knows when, the window frames looked like it was just wood painted white, lights were on shining upon us casting shadows of our cars, and a large fountain in front of it spraying water from a monument of –what looked like– three vampires standing victoriously above an ancient enemy. I had no clue what it was and I don’t think any vampire around today remembers. There must have been six floors in the building because, not only was it wide, it was a great height, too.

The black limo door opened and I saw Roland there with a smile–for the cameras of course.

“Shall we, Miss Sinclair?” He asked chivalrously as he held out his hand. I felt like, even though it was a simple gesture, it was filled with so much trust and love. A weird thing to feel.

I took it and lifted myself off the leather cushion and onto the pale brownish-yellow stone entrance. I could see the shapes of people dancing in the large windows. I took a nervous breath and looked to Roland with a scared smile.

“Do you think they will like me?” I asked as we slowly walked up the small flight of stairs.

“I think they will love you.” He said adoringly. It was nice not to hear his sarcastic tone for a change. His silver blue eyes seemed to bore into me.

Though it was not the best time, I started to think of my personal problems again. As we got closer to the doors, Roland stopped and turned to me pulling something out of his pocket.

“I was going to give it to you tonight and hope for the best, but I don’t know who you will choose.” He slipped a large diamond rig with a silver lining into my hand. “Just keep it, for now, and think about me. And one thing you should know. Watch what you think around some of the paparazzi and the others.” He gave me a quick peck and turned back to the door just as it was opening.

Joanna and Nathaniel –arms hooked with each other– were following behind us with smiles. Eric and Skylar were acting like the body guards; close but watchful.

We walked in to see a man waiting to welcome us in the foyer.

“Oh, Roland, it is nice to see you’ve finally showed up.” He saw me and froze.

“This is Katherine Octavia Sinclair. She has finally come back.” Roland finished.

“K-Ka-Katherine.” He stuttered embarrassed and looked down to the floor. “I am so sorry for being rude.”

“It is okay. No big deal.” I tried to brush it off but he kept apologizing.

“Oh, Rick!” Roland exclaimed. “You don’t need to act like your begging for your life. She is a kind and merciful person. She won’t kill you now get back to work.” Roland said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me toward another room.

“That was a little harsh.” I whispered.

“Sometimes I have to do that so they won’t embarrass themselves or their guests.” He, unfortunately, brought back his sarcastic tone. "Now, let’s dance.” He pulled me into his arms as he twirled me into the ballroom. Skylar stayed close, but not too close. Except Eric. He didn’t stay around long. He almost immediately went to greet old friends of his after saying goodbye to me.

The ballroom was enormous. A humongous chandelier in the middle room that seemed to blur as I was being spun by Roland while the orchestra in the corner of the elegant room. Candles were lit all across the room. They didn't really use any electronic items, apparently.

When we stopped spinning I started to feel slightly dizzy.

"I'm sorry. Did I spin you to fast?" His sarcastic tone rose up again trying to hide his desired laughs.

"Yeah." The room began to wobble around with my buckling legs.

"Let's go outside and get some air then." His tone lost a little sarcasam which made me a bit happier.

We walked across the dance floor moving with the crowds of people that were blocking our way. Roland finally led me to a balcony. I leaned against a stone pillar looking at Roland's eyes boring into me.

"What?" I asked starting to feel a joke coming on. I looked away from his eyes when he didn't answer. I saw a figure on the corner of the balcony not paying any attention to the fact we were out here.

I started to walk closer when I thought I recognized his smell. Skylar? I hid behind the closest pillar to him and listened whil Roland simply watched from where I left him. I felt a small gust of wind and realized Eric was where I once stood watching.

"I know where they are!" Skylar screamed in a whisper. "Will you keep your promise and let me and Alice, I mean, Katherine go free and alive? Good. Are you still going to turn us back to humans? Great. Call again in an hour and I'll let you know the location. Bye."

I came out from behind the pillar just as he was turning. He gave me a I-hope-you-didn't-hear-that expression. I nodded sadly.

"What are you trying to do? Betray us all? Betray me?" My once ecstatic voice had become much more depressing and cold.

"No. I just want our lives back to normal. The way they used to be."

"So you think if you betray the vampires the Kareptons will let you go without a price? They are liars, they started this war, and now you want to betray me by siding with my enemy!" I could feel the stinging blood red tears begin to form in my eyes. "Then go ahead. I am sick of being hurt by you when you know it hurts me the most! I am so sick of seeing your face now! Go! Join your new family because I don't want you a part of mine!" I gave one last breath and left him there with drops of my blood tears on the stone balcony going back to Roland.

Eric and Roland led me back inside avoiding the eyes of the guests as they led me upstairs. We walked through the pastel wallpaper covered walls passing many doors and large polished windows. I was still crying. I was worried I’d get blood on the wood paneled floor.

Roland stopped at one door after we walked through a couple of hallways and turning a few corners. He opened the door to see a couple making out on the bed.

“Mrs. Broderick where’s your husband?” Roland said politely. I coughed choking back my laughter. Damn.

“Um...I’m going to go.” She whispered to the pale, lipstick smudged face of the waiter whom she was kissing.

“That would be best.” Roland quietly mumbled as she ran past us. Roland eyed the waiter.

“I’m going to go, too.” He said quietly.

“Yeah...and,” The waiter stopped next to us. “Your fired. Jack, you know not to mess with guests. Go to Rick and tell him what you’ve done and don’t lie. I’ll be listening.” He smiled and Jack hurried down the hall. I could hear the thuds of his feet hitting the wood.

“Wow.” I mouthed. The tears stopped falling.

“It’s rare, but it happens.” Eric scoffed.

“What are you going to do to him?” I questioned.

“He’s going to be punished.” Roland answered. “The penalty is not that severe if you didn’t know the rules, but he did, so...let’s just say he will be in pain for a while.”

I didn’t ask any further questions. I was afraid of the answers I might get.

“Go ahead and sit down, Katherine.” Eric gestured to the bed.

I dragged my feet across the carpet to lie my body on the thick covers. I sat up against the frame of the bed pulling my knees up leaning my head against them waiting for the crying to start again.

“I just can’t believe he would betray us. I thought he was...” I let out a sigh.

“He didn’t betray you.” Eric admitted with a frown. “As much as I hate him right now for making you in pain, he was trying to protect you. He was willing to betray an entire race of vampires to keep you safe. He really loves you.” I looked up to him.

“I know, but...” I couldn’t come up with anything to say. I brought my head back to my knees. Then I had an epiphany. “Shit!” I screamed. They both looked toward me. “What if he goes to the Kareptons...right now? Oh-no.” I got off the mattress and ran to the door with Eric and Roland heading downstairs to try and find him. He wouldn’t do it. He wouldn’t, right? I skipped a step or two, watching my feet, down the stairs trying not to draw attention as we scanned the room desperately trying to find Skylar.

I closed my eyes and took in a mouthful of air trying to find Skylar by his smell. I was very familiar with his smell, so I should be able to find him. I could smell a small hint of his cologne in the air about twenty feet away. I saw him near the orchestra with his phone in his hand like he was trying to fugure what he should do. He kept flipping the phone open then closing it again. Eric was next to me.

“Eric, do you have my phone?”

“Yes.” He pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to me.

I dialed Skylar’s number. It kept ringing for three rings. Skylar just looked at it shocked with widened eyes. He put the phone to his ear.

“Hello.” He said quietly afraid of what I had to say.

“Hey, Skylar. Go to the foyer at the foot of the stairs.” I said feeling a bit happier hearing his voice again.

He moved slowly across the large ballroom and through the stone archway that led to the foyer.

“Are you still angry with me?” He whispered.

“Yes.” I said quietly as he turned for the stairs. “But I am very forgiving remember.” I let myself laugh for a moment.

He faced the stairs and rose his eyes up to mine. He closed his phone and treaded quickly up the staircase to be a foot away. I was scared to hug him at first because of the paparazzi, but I gave him a quick hug of apology.

“I’m sorry for–” I covered his lips with the palm of my hand.

“You really should apologize, but I guess I can understand why you would do it. I mean, if it was the other way around, I probably would have done the same thing.” I smiled.

“You know what,” Eric interrupted. “I am tired of this teenage drama.” He said in his joking voice that lightened up the atmosphere. He grabbed my hand. “Let’s dance.” I nodded with a smile and waved to Roland and Skylar as Eric led me to the dance floor.

“Wait here.” He said with excitement. Why is he so excited? He ran over to the director for the orchestra whispering with the same excitement leaving me in the middle of the ballroom.

While I was waiting for him to come back and dance a few people greeted me with respect and introduced themselves. Most of them were counts, duchesses, and members of the council. They were all quite polite. I kept looking past each of their shoulders to see what was taking Eric so long and each time I would see him still talking to them. I never paid attention to their sucking up. I can tell when someone is trying to get on a person’s good side.

Finally, after twenty minutes of royal torture, Eric made his way back to me. He gave me a quick hug then shifted his eyes to another direction with a nod. The lights in the room got dimmer. A large spotlight rested upon Roland next to the orchestra who had a microphone in hand smiling. I guess this was my surprise, but I yet to learn what the surprise is. Maybe he’s finally telling them we’re not engaged, I thought to myself. My smile slowly faded into a frown when I realized I should be more careful about what I think. I scanned the room quickly before Roland spoke a word. No one looked suspicious.

Then I saw her.

A woman with long, sleek, pure, raven black hair and a red draped dress cascading down her hips like water falling down a waterfall, deep curves around her breast and her lower back, a twisted and satisfied grin crossed her face, and her bright blue eyes burning a hole into mine.

I was scared at first but realized that I shouldn’t be. It’s just one thought he will announce anyway. Her evil grin started to fade. So I wouldn’t blow any more secrets I focused on Roland.

“I have an announcement to make. An important announcement. Katherine Sinclair and I are no longer engaged,” There were mumbles of surprise with gasps left and right. “But that doesn’t mean we don’t still love each other. We are still close, but let’s not let that ruin the night. We kept this little charade that we only listened to the classics go on long enough, so to give Miss Sinclair a little treat we have gotten a large DJ Booth with many, many songs that she and we enjoy.” I let out a small scream of my excitement as Eric stood next to me holding my hand. Everyone applauded and the first song that played was a party song I was familiar with. Misery Business by Paramore. Un-expectantly, people were cheering, singing and dancing to the song as if they were performing live.

“Surprise!” Roland yelled over the cheering as he appeared in front of me. He gave me a peck on the cheek.

“I can’t believe you did this! Thank you,” I gave him a quick hug. As I pulled back he smiled.

“I’m not the only one who helped.” Roland’s eyes traveled over to Eric.

"Thank you, too, Eric." I threw my arms over his shoulder and took joy in the embrace for a few moments.

"How about that dance?" He whispered against my cheek as he pulled away. I nodded and smiled.

We started to jump up and down and sway our hips to the music. Out of fear I glanced over to where the woman was to see if she was still there. She was walking toward us with the same evil grin. My heart started to race when I stopped swaying my hips and focused on her. I felt Roland's and Eric's eyes move to her as their bodies stopped. She stood before us, her eyes moving from me to Eric then to Roland. Roland came to her and embraced her with a hug.

"Oh, Priscilla, I haven't seen you in so long. I've missed you." Roland said as his arms came back to his sides.

"It's always a pleasure to see my brother." her voice hissed. Oh, my God. They're related?

"Katherine, this is my sister. Priscilla Hathaway." Roland introduced. Priscilla had a quick emotion flash on her face then off. A look of surprise, like she didn't expect I was Katherine Sinclair. She replaced it with the same grin. She seemed kind of fake to me.

"Oh, Miss Sinclair. Nice to make your acquaintance, Katherine." She curtsied.

"No need for that Priscilla." Roland added.

"I don't like being the center of attention. Please don't curtsy to someone that is of no real importance." I whispered as she rose.

She gasped with disbelief. "Don't you know...," she turned to Roland. "Haven't you told her, yet?" she asked.

"No. That reminds me. Go arounnd and tell the council members to meet in the dining hall after the ball is over and everyone else leaves. Understood?" Roland ordered.

"Yes, brother." she curtsied us goodbye then walked off into the crowd, somehow, avoiding being bumped into speaking to a couple people then going to others.

"Katherine?" Eric asked.

"Hmm?" I mumbled tearing my eyes away from her back to him.

"You don't like her, do you?" Eric added with a smile.

"Well, I don't know her very well, but there is always that first impression." I smiled.

"Yeah. Well, you shouldn't judge on first impressions. They could be different." he whispered.

I nodded knowingly then started to glance around the room. "Where is Skylar?" I asked. I, then saw Priscilla twirling her hair between her fingers laughing with a wide smile in front of him flirting. That really pissed me off. "You know what, Eric. Fuck first impressions. I'm going to kick that bitch's slutty ass." I started to stomp my way over there when Eric grabbed my shoulder.

"You do know there are plenty of paparazzi around here to make your vampire life a living hell." Eric warned. He did have a point.

"Fine. I'll just 'talk' to her." I grabbed his hand. " And you could stop me from doing anything else." I started to calm myself as we walked over to them. When we reached them I let go of Eric's hand. Before I spoke I realized that I kind of felt like a pimp. I have three great guys to myself and that is a little selfish. Maybe I should let some of them go. The selfish side of me didn't want to let Skylar go, but maybe she's his soul mate. Who knows?

Instead of starting out as a total bitch, I took a deep breath and said a few simple words.

"Hey, guys." Skylar stood before me like he felt guilty. Priscilla simply stood there respectfully. She probably doesn't even know anyway. "I see you two have finally met."

"You," she pointed between Skylar and I. "both know each other."

"We're good friends." My eyes traveled to Skylar for a moment.

Eric interrupted trying to set a friendly feeling in the atmosphere. "Hey, how about we go dance? All of us." I guess he was going to be the peacemaker of us all. We all nodded in agreement and headed to the dance floor.

The next two hours came and went. It was mostly a blur. All I remember is dancing to song after song after song. The crowd began to disperse, but we all kept dancing until only a hand full remained and the cleaning crew started to come around us. When the music stopped we all looked around realized we were the only people left along with some members of the council.

Roland disappeared after Priscilla came over and introduced herself. He probably went to the grand dining hall.

"It's time to go." Priscilla whispered. Skylar, Eric, and I followed her as we walked across the trashed ballroom into the foyer. I suspected we would go across the foyer into dining hall, but Priscilla led us to a bookcase next to the staircase.

"What are we doing? Checking out some books?" I questioned. Priscilla looked at me coldly then turned back and mumbled some non-sense like she was doing voodoo. When she stopped the bookcase lowered into an almost unnoticeable platform and a secret archway was revealed.

In the archway was a tunnel with a flight of stairs leading to a wooden door, torches were along the stone walls. Priscilla grabbed one of the torches and treaded slowly down the dusty gray stairs. One step at a time I could hear the click-clack of her heels hit each step. Skylar and Eric followed with me last. As I reached the second step the door closed behind me leaving only the glow of the torches reflecting off my skin and the stone walls.

I walked wearily while I heard voices arguing with each other. I heard squeaks of mice, too. I watched the floor nervously until I hit another body. It was Skylar's. We reached the door and the voices were so much clearer now. Priscilla slowly opened the door and we all came in and gathered around with the many others.

It looked like an old study. It had on large table in the center of the room with maybe fifteen chairs around it, paintings on the four walls surrounding us, the council members sitting in their chairs eyeing us respectivly, and Roland at the head of the table gesturing for us to take the four empty seats next to him at the table. We weren't stupid enough to disobey. We all to our seats as eyes stared into mine. I hated being the center of attention. It annoyed me.

I burned a hole into the wooden table trying to avoid eye contact with them. They were all still arguing tearing their eyes from me.

"What about the painting? What about the prophet's message? The likeness is unbelievable." A member of the council stated. The message kept repeating in my mind.“One full moon’s night you will find a young vampire girl of seventeen amongst humans. She is much more powerful than she will appear. Don’t underestimate her. She will face many hardships and incidents as she comes to find out about herself and what she is meant to do. She will age into a beautiful and strong fighter and thy will have to protect her at all costs and her baby when she gives birth. She will fall in love with a man and defeat her enemies with him by her side. Whether she fails or succeeds depends on how strong she is. The time is not set, but it will happen...one day.” I brought my eyes back up as they all looked back and forth between the painting and me.

The painting was the same one I saw in the halls when we first arrived. The one with the pregnant woman that looked like me only older like in her twenties.

I was awestruck as I gazed into the woman's face that was so much like mine, and her eyes that were the same shape and color as mine.

"That may be, but who knows? She could not be the one chosen for this destiny. She is not ready for this responsibility. She needs years of training." A female member with evil crimson peircing eyes said coldly.

"She is." Roland whispered with such power and authority everyone stopped their lips and stared at him.

"He's right." Eric agreed. "You should have seen her when she first fought the Kareptons."

"She fought the Kareptons!" The same female member said breathless, if that were possible.

"She did. It was when we first brought her to stay with us. She didn't know anything, she was scared. Then, all of a sudden, she is able to kill over ten Kareptons in a few mere minutes. How can you explain that?" Eric insisted standing out of his sit, leaning his arms against the table with a face that looked like he didn't want to be messed with.

"Calm down, Eric." Roland soothed. The council's faces were unchanging. They were simply listening trying not to show emotion.

"You should probably keep your hounds on a shorter leash." A male member mocked. Eric and Priscilla grew more tense around me.

"It's not the hounds' fault. It's the manners of the visitors." Roland smirked.

"You have no right to talk to me that way!" The male member screamed outraged.

"I have every right." Roland said still calm. In one swift motion he was beside the man with one arm around his throat and his other hand in front of his pale old wrinkly face. I always thought vampires were all young and handsome. Apparently there is always an exception. Roland's hand started to turn red. Soon after, his hand was surrounded with flames. "Remember who is your leader, Benjamin. You might be dead if you betray me. You may look older, but I am stronger and wiser and you will listen." The old man's face was fumed with anger, but it was controlled by the fear.

Roland released him and came back to his seat beside me. He looked at me with weary. He didn't scare me...much. I smiled a little smile back for reassurance.

Roland turned back to the council.

“I know she may not look strong but she is. Much more powerful than any of you. Almost as strong as myself. She will be ready.” Roland announced.

I stood up.

“I have a question.” I said.

The council already started to murmur.

“How am I supposed age? I can’t because I was changed at the age of seventeen. I can’t grow older, can I?” My eyes wondered aimlessly around the room then back to Roland.

All the council members began to laugh as if I told a really good joke.

“Silence!” Roland bellowed. They all quieted immediately. His eyes traveled to the same old man from earlier.

“To answer your question, yes we can’t change. But when we... get pregnant or have children– ” He quietly murmured.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait a second! I have to get pregnant to age. I’m sorry, but I am not going to have sex and get pregnant. Not now.” All the words spilled out of me in a mush.

“You will be married first, of course. We have all decided who you will marry, so you and Roland seem to be the perfect match.”

“Um...” I choked back a hard unamused laugh. “You think you’re going to decide my future?” I asked. My voice suddenly sounded deeper and more demonic. It sounded like the monster in my head. It wanted out. A growl escaped my lips and my body lurched forward to the old man.

My hands gripped his throat and my mouth opened wide ready to bite into his throat. The fellow council members simply stood and observed in fear. I did not pay much attention to them, I was only focusing on the old man’s throat. ‘Don’t do this’ I told the monster. I could see through its eyes. I could hear its thought and plans. It hesitated when I spoke. My teeth...its teeth lied inches from his throat. Even though his blood was not as inviting as a human’s blood I still wanted to sink my teeth through his thick fleshy neck.

Roland and Eric grabbed my arms and pinned me against the wall hard enough to crack the ancient stone.

“Breathe, Katherine!” Eric screamed with his palms on my shoulders, face barely an inch away. I tried. I sucked in a deep mouthful of oxygen fighting against the monster’s continuous clawing of my brain.

Finally after minutes of deep breathing I had full control of myself. I lost control... again. Just like Russia. They are right. I’m not ready. I fell against the wall to the gray stone floor staring blankly forward.

“I did it again,” I mumbled. Eric and Roland got to their knees beside me. Skylar joined. “I–I did it again.” I stuttered. I kept repeating that same sentence until angered voices broke out.

“See! She is not ready!” The crimson -eyed female screeched. “She attacked one of us. She’s better off dead.”

“Don’t say that.” Eric threatened with a deadly posture.

The woman staggered back into her seat.

“Don’t threaten my wife!” The man next to her yelled.

Chaos broke out while I lied against the wall. Roland left me to calm everyone down. He didn’t help matters. Priscilla and Skylar kneeled next to me watching the chaos grow. I put my hands to their shoulders lifting myself off of the floor. My back sweating as my breathing slowed. I was winning my fight against the monster. Sweat rolled down my eyes and off my brow.

“Stop!” I screeched. I used all of my strength to let out that sound. I fell back slightly at the loss of balance, but Skylar kept me up. The chaos disappeared and eyes were, again, on me.

“Stop all of this arguing. This is what they want. The Kareptons want us to lose control and turn on each other.” I took a deep breath and continued. “We can’t give them that satisfaction. We have to put our trivial problems aside and deal with the bigger problem. Them.” I finished releasing a mouthful of air.

They all stood with surprise. I did sound very wise and that, again, felt strange.

“This meeting is over.” Roland ordered. “You can all leave. As always don’t release any of this information to anyone or you will be punished.” With that last word they all began to leave the room. I collapsed out of energy against Skylar. I didn’t black out, my body just lost its strength. I have to toughen up, if I’m going to get rid of this...thing in my head.

“Al– Katherine? It’s me. We’re taking you to Roland’s chambers. He and Eric are going to be standing guard while we sleep.” I was off the stone ground and in his arms. My arms were fixed behind his neck. Eric, who seemed so much taller from this view, pulled me from his arms and carried me through the dark tunnel, up the stairs, and to Roland’s chambers with Skylar and Priscilla trailing behind us. Roland was leading us.

“I’m fine.” I said when we reached a door and my vision became clearer. I tried to maneuver myself out of Eric’s hold. “Let me walk and stop treating me like a damsel in distress. I’m not one.”

He chuckled. “You are one, right now. So stop trying to be tough.”

“I have to learn to be tough. If I’m not, I’ll die.” I retorted.

Eric stopped laughing. This apparently became serious. I shut my mouth and looked down closing my eyes, pretending to sleep. I cracked my eyes open when Eric’s head was facing forward to take in the surroundings of the room.

Roland’s chambers.

First, we passed by, I guess, a sitting room that was simply a few paintings on the off white wallpaper that covered the ancient stone and some old fashioned patterns on the sofas. It wasn’t like something that would be ugly, it was vintage and beautiful as were the paintings. The room blurred by quickly until we reached a room with a high ceiling.

I already felt dizzy. I wish they would just let me down. I tried one last time to nudge myself out of this embrace. Mission failed. I rested myself back into his arms and looked around the large bedroom. The walls were adorned with numerous painting of relatives, I would guess, along with a small higher-leveled platform with a large king-sized bed with a transparent curtain-like canopy hanging above the frame of the bed, brown vanity end tables on both sides of the bed, a light brown vanity dresser across the room next to a little living room like setting a few feet away from the bed, and a stone arch leading to a walk-in closet. I awed at its beauty. But that one painting with Roland and myself from inside the mountain hung on one of the walls. I did not glare at it, I simply was just curious to why it was painted. I gave it a look of curiosity and a little anger.

“Didn’t think you’d be too happy about it.” Roland smirked. “But I like the painting. I’m keeping it up there, so don’t complain.” I turned my head to him and forced an unamused smile.

“Yay.” I whispered. Eric gave a smug grin as he traveled over to the bed. Slowly he brought his arms down to the bed bending his back forward letting my body fall onto the soft, thick, cotton comforter.

I dragged myself across the covers on top of the pillows leaning against the headboard.

“Well, good night, Katherine.” Roland said. He turned his back on me.

“Wait.” I whispered.

They all turned back to me.

“I’m sorry to mention it, but will I have to?” I questioned, knowing he would know what I was talking about.

Skylar was, of course, clueless. Eric and Roland kept looking toward me in silence.

“Yes.” Eric answered.

“I don’t want to, Eric. I love you all.” I whimpered, blocking the tears.

Eric’s eyes had a slight glimmer to them as if he was about to cry, but he looked away and inhaled a large breath. Roland was similar, subtracting the near-tears part. Skylar was going to try and be the tough guy. I just gazed between the three of them while I waited for their response.

“I think we all know.” Roland joked dryly.

“Okay, I’ve had enough of this.” Skylar finally spoke. My heart fell.

I had to speak. “Skylar? What do you–”

“I don’t mean you. I mean I am tired of all this drama and the soap opera theme that seems to be happening a lot with you.” I chuckled feeling my tears disappear.

“Thanks for brightening the mood, Skylar. That really helped.” I smiled. He smiled back. I saw Roland and Eric exchange eye contact filled with some worry.

I eased myself off the bed and walked over to them. I give Skylar a hug and a kiss on the cheek. He left the room while I did the same to Eric and Roland. I turned and strode to my bed with ten small graceful steps. As I slipped my feet under the cover, I saw them at the door giving their last wave and smile.

“Good night.” I whispered as they closed the door. I know they heard it. Roland pulled his head in with a smile. His hair falling across his face as he looked at me with his head tilted as if he was being secretive.

“ ‘Night, Katherine.” He whispered with that rare tone of sincerity and kindness in his voice.

I smiled trying to hide the pain behind it. After his head was out of view I felt the pain and anger of the decision growing harder to decide. Frustrated I pulled the covers over me, staring at the ceiling trying hard not to think. I sealed my eyes shut tight until I heard a voice.

"You will lose one of them. You better choose who you want soon, or you're going to have a broken heart." A demonic voice sounded.

I opened my eyes immediately and saw a reflection of my self. Me. Her hair falling against her face almost touching me.

"You will lose one of them. Choose. It all depends on who you are willing to save over the other." Her lips moved slowly as I watched her. I was close to screaming.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Someone who can kill you, but won't because they're having too much fun messing with your sanity." she chuckled demonically.

"What do you really look like? Why are you hiding behind a mask? Are you afraid?" I said gritting my teeth.

She frowned, seeming displeased. "I have to go, unfortunately. Business. We'll talk again soon. You interest me. We will talk."

"Whatever you say, Karepton." I narrowed my eyes into hers while she mimicked it. She shriveled away into a blur and the room was empty. I closed my eyes ready for sleep to takeover me.

"You will lose one of them. You better choose who you want soon, or you're going to have a broken heart."

I couldn't get that out of my head. I turned my body on its side and closed my eyes trying not to cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
If it needs to be edited, LET ME KNOW!!! I really want this to be good and revised because I always miss stuff, so please help me out!
Thank you!!
I just put it put as it was, so it's not really edited!
ENJOY!!