Lost My Way, Lost the Light

Music

The man plays on for another two hours.

Two hours later, the music stops.

Shuffling, he obviously disappears off the stage and people start muttering and moving about. As usual, as the act ends, my attention is diverted and I realize my coffee is empty.

But I tend to stick around for another hour.

It means not being home for another hour, after all.

My oldest ipod, colored in red, is put in my ears and it turns to Ron Pope, one of my favorite from a few years ago. I hum along softly, resting my chin in my hand and staring right to my left, where I happen to know where the windows to outside are.

Thank goodness I know it for a fact. Otherwise, I might be staring at people and they might come up to talk to me about it or something else equally ridiculous.

Teagan's nose nudges my calf, signaling that someone is walking by. But she does that every few minutes, and I think nothing of it.

At least not for another few minutes, until I'm suddenly tapped on the shoulder. Surprised, I quickly yank out my earphones and can hear Teagan growling a warning. I pat her head carefully and direct my head to where the person must be.

"Sorry if I'm interrupting your music. Mind if I sit down? It's crowded," comes the smooth voice. I instantly recognize it to be the one who had been playing for the crowd.

His voice is buttery and it makes me want to lift my hand to touch his face, creating an outline of what he looks like. But if I suddenly did that, he'd probably call the police or something, and I'm not a big fan of telling people of my 'situation.'

I open my mouth to respond, but I hear the sounds of a chair moving and cloth swishing- signifying that the man has sat down without waiting for an answer. I frown. How rude.

"So, what are you doing here?" He asks after an awkward silence.

I point to my coffee. "Drinking."

"Didn't come to listen to my music?" He asks merrily.

"Not particularly, no."

"Oh, well. Hope you weren't disappointed... mind if I ask why you're wearing sunglasses inside?" He asks after a minute.

"Yes, actually. I do mind."

"Well then, no need to answer." I can hear him shrug. "So, what sort of music were you listening to?"

"Ron Pope. You've probably not hear-"

"Oh, no worries," he says quickly. "I have. In fact, he was one of my inspirations, to be honest. Isn't he brilliant?"

"Well, yes," I admit reluctantly. I do confess I had hoped he hadn't heard a word. The more we have in common, the more he will want to talk. Teagan seems to sense my distress and lays her head on my lap.

"Yeah, though I still can't decide on my favorite of his... oh, you're out of coffee. Could I get you some?" He offers kindly.

"No thanks. In fact, I should probably be going." I purse my lips, putting my ipod in my bag. Already I realize that he's one who enjoys conversing. I, on the other hand, do not. I stand and take Teagan's leash as she starts leading me through the crowd.

"Wait!"

He catches me as I exit the shop, and I reluctantly make Teagan heel. "Yes?" I ask, trying to be patient with this man.

"I never got your name."

I smile wryly. "I know," and I begin walking away again.

"Do you come around often?" He calls out.

"Perhaps," I return, not glancing back.

After all, what use would it be? I'm blind. Any use of talking to him? Well, it'll all vanish the next time he sees me without my sunglasses. He'll see the truth, as I see the darkness.

And things will go again on my regular routine.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Eleven subscribers already! In what, two-three hour?
w00t. Lol

Oh, btw.... Anyone realize that y'all still dont know his name OR hers? I mean, part of it, but not realllllly...... :D hehe But yeah... Back to his name: Go back to that thingy. I still can't decide on a name. :(
But yeah- comments, please. Think I should redo this chapter? I'm not too sure about his character personality at the moment... any ideas? Let me know! Thanks. :D