In-Jokes A-Z

A is for Alabama

“Just tellus, for God’s sake!” Alex exclaimed exasperatedly. She and Kirsty had been pestering her for the last ten minutes or so already, but the girl had held firm.

Rachel frowned. “I’m not sure if I should tell you,” she mumbled, “considering that we’ve just met…”

“Pleaseee!!” Kirsty begged. “It can’t be too bad.”

The trio were standing along the colonnade, in front of the amphitheatre. Since finding out that Rachel had managed to get herself a boyfriend, shocking as it may be, they had been bugging her non-stop for details. Details which the dark-haired girl would rather keep a secret.

“But you guys will freak out, I just know it.”

“No we won’t!” Alex insisted.

Rachel sighed. “Fine, let’s just say he’s a very old family friend.”

“He’s your cousin, isn’t he?” Alex guessed.

“Yes.” Rachel confirmed dreamily.

Kirsty shrugged. “So?” she asked nonchalantly.

“Wait, wha-? How did you know?”

“I guessed, I guess,” Alex mumbled, mildly surprised that she was right.

Rachel clutched her face with her hands. “Oh god... I’m going red...”

“You didn’t go red at ‘old family’ friend.” Alex grinned. “I figured there had to be more.”

“Why would I go red mentioning an old family friend?” Rachel asked.

Alex blushed. “N-no reason…”

After class, Rachel was fiddling with her new Samsung Touchwiz and was listening to her soppy romantic songs given by her ….cousin… when Alex sidled up.

“Rayyyy-cheulll,” she sang, twirling her iPod earphones in the air, “I have this awesome song for you…!”

Rachel groaned inwardly, she wasn’t one who enjoyed listening to other people's songs. Pursing her lips, she pulled her headphones off her head. Alex gleefully shoved the white earphones into her friends’ ear.

Pizza, Party at your house
I went, just to check it out
19, extra larges
What a shame, NO ONE CAME!


Rachel pulled the earphones out of her ears.

“That sounds weird,” she said, “but I’ll listen to it later, at home. Whatever, kay?”

“Sure, sure,” Alex grinned. “It’s called Constipated. By Weird Al.”

“Ahh! I know Weird Al!”

“He’s awesome, isn’t he?” Alex smiled. “He’s also done… Your Pitiful, Oops I farted again, and Like a Surgeon.”

“Haha,” Rachel giggled, “a song bender. I like him already.”

“So yeah,” Alex shouted as her train pulled up, “listen to it at home!!” She grabbed her friend in a hug, then somehow managing to squish herself into the impossibly crowded train.

“Okay!” Rachel laughed, rolling her eyes and picking up her own bag as her train arrived seconds after. Her voice was almost lost over the babble and rush. “See you tomorrow!”

Rachel had made it home relatively quickly, much faster than Alex’s much-hated half-hour trek to the end of the avenue. Dumping her bags down, she booted up her laptop and searched through Ares. Yes, illegal downloading for the win!

“Constipated…Constipated…Aha!” She clicked the link triumphantly, watching as the download bar reached 100%.

Chuckling, she listened to the first few bars she had heard via iPod. Funny man, Weird Al was. Rachel smiled and closed her eyes, listening to the twisted version of Complicated.

How was I supposed to know
That we were both related?
Believe me if I’d known
She was my
cousin then
We never would have dated…


Her dark eyes snapped open. “ALEX!” she hollered, “I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!”

Somewhere far, far away, in a ridiculous little unit that takes an impossible time to get to, Alexandra had finally made it home. Having only gone online to look at more pictures of her current obsession – Uchiha Itachi, she suddenly sneezed. It was so loud she was almost rocketed off her bed and onto the carpet, which was littered with snack wrappers.

“Ah…someone must be talking about me,” she muttered to herself, remembering the Japanese superstition. “Hope it’s a hot guy…” Lying back, the blonde covered her eyes with an arm. Though I’ll bet you anything it’s not him.

Rachel had all but forgotten about her promise to murder the blonde, and was babbling happily about her future elopement with her cousin-turned-fiancé the next morning. “So, I’m still wondering where the wedding should be, but I was thinking-”

“Alabama?” Alex suggested with a barely concealed snigger.

The Pom frowned, wondering what was so funny. Then she remembered.

Should I go ahead and propose
And get hitched and have kids
With eleven toes?
And move to
Alabama
Where this sort of thing is tolerated?


Rachel’s expression turned dangerous, and Alex began to back away nervously. “Now Rachel, don’t do anything you wouldn’t want to explain to paramedics…”

The other girl’s expression darkened. “Alex…” she growled, taking a few steps forward.

If anyone had been walking by, they would have gained a pretty strange impression of the school. For there, sprinting across the grounds was one girl running for her life, so-called friend right behind her shouting battle slogans.

Whoever made the rule about bringing weapons to school really should have factored the enormous math textbooks into the equation.