‹ Prequel: Bat Country

Holding On

Chapter Three

My eyes slowly opened as a yawn escaped my mouth. I slept well; I slept long. I stretched my arms and locked around, rubbing my eyes. It was dark around, as if it was late at night. Is it night now? That would mean I slept way too much!

I heard then a sneeze that made me jump a little. Right after came a laugh. "Sorry dude; didn't mean to scare you" I sat up looking over where the voice came from but could barely see anything.

"Oh hey Matt, morning" I said and felt a weight lifted from where I was sitting. A slight light was turned on. It wasn't the kind that would blind you, it actually wasn't that much light at all, but it was enough for me to see.

Matt came back and sat next to me again. He didn't say anything neither did he do anything; he just sat there. "So…what's up?" I tried to start a talk. It didn't use to be that way, usually I'd feel more comfortable around him, I mean, he's been one of my best friends for years. But something just felt different.

"You don't have to start a talk. You'll probably leave soon anyway" he simple answered without even looking at me. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Soon you will leave" he spoke slower. He sounded weird, different. "Like…go home? You don't want me around?" I asked unsure. "Like…" he imitate me "you won't want to be around me" he said as if it was obvious. But it wasn't.

"Why won't I?" I asked when I realized he won't say anything without questions. "Because no one does, weren't you here last night? I'm a monster, they are afraid of me and so will you"

"Do I have a reason to be?" I asked. It took him a minute to answer. "I honestly do not know" that answer scared me a bit. "What…what do you mean?" I asked confused. "I don't know. I mean…I just don't know. Like with Val…she was like….I….it's just that…" he mumbled not able to finish a goddamn sentence. "Did you-" I paused "-do anything to-" "No!" he shouted before I could finish the sentence. "No, I didn't. Not really. I just…" and he stopped talking again. I put a hand on his back, trying to comfort him. "It'll be alright. I promise. I will not leave you alone" I said, he didn't say a thing. "as long as you will want me by your side" I added. He remained silence.

"Do you want to eat me?" I asked after a few minutes of silence. I realized how stupid it sounds only when the words left my mouth. He laughed, "I don't eat people. I just, drink their blood?" I didn't say anything; I had no comment about something like that! "That doesn't sound much better, eh?" he chuckled uneasily and so did I. "So do you want to drink my blood?" I asked again. He looked at me and then at my neck. It made me feel uncomfortable and nervous. The longer he stared at it the bigger the fear in me became. I could almost see him jumping on me and killing me. I was ready to scream in horror, to try to get away from his grip. But I have no chance, he's huge! All these muscles and everything. How on fuck will I be able to get away from him!? Maybe Jimmy was right? Maybe I was insane for coming back. It was a suicide to come back; I'm alone in a house with a vampire! What the fuck is wrong with me?

"No" he said and got me out of my thoughts? "No?" I asked confused already forgetting my question. I breathes heavily and felt sweat on my face. I didn't want to be there. He smiled, his teeth were scary. "No, I do not want to drink you blood" he said. I faked a smile trying to look alright but for some reasons these thoughts and that fear, they stayed there.

"Told ya" he said. "Eh?" was my answer. "Just leave, alright? I know you don't want to be here. You are all sweating and keeping distance from me. I don't need any favor from anyone" "I'm fine!" was my instant answer. He didn't seem to believe me. I noticed he was standing away from me so I got up as well and tried to talk to him, "I don't think you need any favors from anyone. I just don't want to lose you as a friend" I said. "Then why are you acting like this?!" he seemed so angry. "I don't know. It's just, hard to get used to the news, I guess. I'll do better I promise, just give me a while" I said, surprised by how much sense I made. "Johnny," he spoke quietly, "I really do not need that shit, alright? It's nice what you're trying to do but I'm alright. You can just go and not feel guilty at all" he smiled.

For a little while I was confused; I didn't know what to do. Is he really alright? I don't know. Maybe he just wants to be alone because of Val? Maybe he just wants to be alone for the moment but not for real? Maybe he really does want to get rid of me?

"Listen man-" I started saying wanting to make him sit down and talk but he looked at me and his eyes looked so different. I couldn't quite tell what it was. It seemed…maybe colder, I don't know. Anyway it scared me, to be honest. He looked at me waiting for me to say anything. "-I'm leaving now" I said. It'll be better if he have some time alone. "I'll call you later, alright?" I said looking at him, trying to not show him my fear. He didn't say anything, just grabbed a cig and lit it up. "So…bye, man" I said but again he said nothing, just smoke his cigarette.

As soon as I left the house the sun blinded me. Wasn't it night or something? There was so little light at Matt's house, my eyes weren't used to that amount of light all at once. After a few minutes my look was focused. Once I could see without blinking non-stop I called Jason, asking him to pick me up. I knew he would be here in no time. To my surprise 'no time' was half a minute.

Jason's car appeared next to me, I walked to the passenger sit and as soon as I was inside Jason drove away. "Do I even want to know how you got here so quick?" I asked laughing. "Nope" I heard Matt Berry's voice. I had no idea he's here too. These guys are just insane, which only makes them so rad. "Hey Matt, what's up?" I asked looking at him through the mirror.

Once we got to my house I thanked the Berrys for the ride and asked them if they wanted to come inside. They said they really have to go and cannot stay. I got out of the car and went into my house. Peanut jumped on me right away, shaking his tale. He seemed happy to see me and that made me happy…until I realized he was just hungry and wanted food. Stupid dog, I thought to myself and chuckled. Seconds after I filled his food bowl he already finished eating it all and wanted more. Sometimes I wonder how he eats so much. I put some more food in his bowl and went to the kitchen in order to fill his water bowl. As soon as I was near him with the filled bowl he jumped on me again, spilling the water everywhere, especially on me. He's so stupid! "Oh great, now I gotta go change! You'll get your water when I come back" I said annoyed.

I was walking over the bedroom as I heard a sound of something falls. Peanut is such an idiot. I ignored it and took off my wet shirt. Then I heard another sound, I swear that his goal is to destroy my house! I went back to where the noises came from only to see him trying to drink from the sink, breaking my dishes instead. I fought the urge to kick him and got him off the countertop instead. "Sit down if you want water, alright?" I said and grabbed the water bowl. As soon as I started filling it he jumpy happily to drink the running water. "Sit the fuck down!" I yelled at him annoyed. Fucking impatience dog. Finally, he was sitting for five damn minutes so I could fill the goddamn bowl. I put it down and let him drink it as I walked back to the bedroom. I was so wet that I decided to get a shower instead of simply changing clothes.

Before I got into the shower I planned on cleaning up the mess Peanuts had done last night while I wasn't at home but once I got out I just didn't feel like it, I just watched the television instead since I had nothing better to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for lack of updates! School's really insane. Soon though summer vacation starts and I promise lots of updates there! :D

Hope you liked this one! Thanks for reading ^^