Sweet Silver Lining

Predict the Day

The following day, Annabelle drove to Children’s Memorial Hospital for Landon’s initial doctor’s appointment. Today would be the day they decided if he needed to stay in the hospital while they searched for a heart donor. Annabelle was nervous, not that she’d let Landon see it. “So,” she said in an upbeat voice. “When do the Blackhawks play next?” she asked him, knowing that Landon would know.

“Thursday night,” Landon replied instantly. “Against the Blue Jackets.”

Annabelle smiled at the fact that the boy could spout off all these facts about the Blackhawks without even thinking about them. “And, what’s your prediction?” she asked him. They had this ritual where Landon would always guess the score of the game and who would score the goals.

“Well, they’re going to win,” Landon said matter-of-factly.

“Of course!” Annabelle exclaimed with a laugh.

“It’ll be three to one, and Sharp, Havlat, and Bolland will score,” he predicted as Annabelle into the hospital’s parking lot.

“Okay, you ready to see the doctors?” Annabelle asked as she put the car in park and got out of the car. She noticed that Landon wasn’t moving, and she walked to the back seat and opened the door. “Landon, you okay?”

“Would you think I was being a baby if I told you that I was scared?” he asked, and Annabelle felt her heart break a little bit.

She bent down so she was at his eye level. “Landon, there is no way I could ever think that you’re being a baby. You are the bravest person I know. Listen, I know that this is scary, but these doctors are going to be able to help you. So, what do you say, you ready to go in?” she asked, holding her hand out for him.

“Yeah,” he smiled, grabbing her hand and following her into the hospital.

Annabelle stopped at the front desk. “Hello, can I help you two?” the man asked in a friendly tone.

“Yes, we have an appointment with Dr. Warner,” Annabelle told him.

“Okay, what’s his name?” the man asked, looking down at Landon.

“Landon Marquis,” Annabelle answered.

The man tapped a little bit on his keyboards and then looked back up at Annabelle. “Okay, you’re all set. Go up to the third floor, and there will be a waiting room right on the right. You can sit in there, and then they’ll call your name,” he told them.

“Okay, thank you,” Annabelle said, taking Landon’s hand and guiding him to the waiting room.

Two hours and fifteen tests later, the doctors had determined that it would be in the best interest of Landon if he stayed at the hospital until they could find a transplant so they could monitor his heart and make sure that he stayed healthy.

They had got him settled into a room, and Annabelle had decided to run back home to get him some things. On the way out of the hospital, she ran into Lily. “Hey,” Lily said when she saw her. “What did they find out?”

“They’re going to keep him here,” Annabelle told her. “I’m just going home real quick so I can grab some of his things.”

“Hey, I’ll go with you,” Lily offered.

“Aren’t you supposed to be working right now?” Annabelle asked. “Not that I don’t want you to come with me. I just don’t want you to get fired or anything,” she explained.

“Oh, no, it’s my lunch break. I’ve got an hour before I need to be back,” Lily assured her.

“Okay,” Annabelle said, walking towards her car.

“So, what exactly did they say?” Lily asked as they drove to the apartment complex.

“They just said that it would be in his best interest if he stayed there. That way, if something would happen, he’d already be here. Plus, when they get a heart, he’ll already be here, so we can get him into surgery right away,” Annabelle explained.

“Annie, these are the best doctors in the world,” Lily told her, knowing that Annabelle was having a hard time dealing with all of this. “They’re going to fix his heart condition.”

“Thanks,” Annabelle smiled. “I’m just worried about him,” she confessed.

“Of course you are,” Lily said. “If you weren’t I’d be worried about you,” Lily joked. “But, hey, if it makes you feel any better, Landon will be the happiest person on the earth tomorrow,” she told her as they pulled up to their apartment complex.

“What do you mean?” Annabelle asked.

“Some of the Blackhawks are going to be there tomorrow,” Lily told her with a smile. “They come in and visit the kids every so often, and tomorrow’s the day. So, since Landon will be staying there, he’ll get to meet them.”

“Are you kidding me?” Annabelle asked in disbelief. “Lily, do understand what this means?”

“We’re going to have one happy kid on our hands?” she asked.

“No, we’re going to have one ecstatic kid on our hands. Lily, that won’t just make his day or year. That will make his life,” Annabelle told her, walking into Landon’s room and grabbing some clothes for him. “You have no idea.”

“Well, I’m glad he’ll be happy,” she smiled. “I’m sure the guys are going to be happy to meet him. I mean, to actually meet a child that idolizes them. They’ll be happy.”

“Do you know who’s coming yet?” Annabelle asked.

“No, I won’t know until they arrive tomorrow. I’m pretty sure Dave’s coming, though,” she said as Annabelle finished grabbing some of Landon’s clothes, putting them into a duffel bag.

“Speaking of Dave, Landon predicts that he’s going to get a goal tonight,” Annabelle told her. “Along with Sharp and Havlat,” she added.

“What?” Lily asked, confused.

“Oh, before every game, I always ask Landon what the score’s going to be and who’s going to score. When I asked him this morning, he said the Hawks would win three to one, and Sharp, Havlat, and Dave were going to score,” Annabelle explained.

“Aw, that’s so cute,” Lily smiled. “I’ll be sure to let Dave know. I’m sure that he’ll be happy to hear that at least someone has faith in his scoring abilities,” she joked as they made their way back to Annabelle’s car and back to the hospital.