Sweet Silver Lining

Waiting Game

“And now we wait,” Annabelle sighed, collapsing on the couch in the surgery waiting room. She had just watched Landon be wheeled into the operating room, and she didn’t know what to do with herself. They had told her that the operation could take anywhere from four to twelve hours, or even longer if there were complications. But, Annabelle couldn’t think about any sort of complications at this time. She had to believe that the surgery would go well and Landon would come out better than ever.

Her mind floated off to Andrew Ladd. When he had hugged her yesterday, she had felt feelings that she hadn’t felt in the longest time, but she couldn’t figure out why. She didn’t even know Andrew. In fact, the only thing she knew about him was that he played for the Chicago Blackhawks and he was her little brother’s idol. So, why had she felt like electricity was shooting through her just from his touch?

The only plausible reason Annabelle could think for this was the fact that she was so emotional from everything that had happened the previous day, that her body just went haywire. It wasn’t like she actually had feelings towards Andrew.

Besides, he was an NHL player. There was no way she could like him, nor was there any way that Andrew could ever like her. No, it was just a reaction from all the stress her body had gone through the past couple of weeks.

“How was he going in?” Lily asked, pulling Annabelle out of her thoughts, as she sat down next to her. She had asked for the day off because she knew she wouldn’t be able to work while thinking about Landon’s surgery. Dave, who also had an off-day, sat down next to Lily, grabbing her hand.

“He seemed to be okay,” Annabelle told her. “I mean, I know he was scared out of his mind, but he was trying to be brave for me,” she added with a small smile. “Lily, what happens if he doesn’t make it?” she asked, her voice strained.

“No, you are not going to talk like that,” Lily told her. “Landon is so strong, and he is going to make it through this.”

“But, what if he doesn’t?” Annabelle questioned.

“We’re not even going to think about that. Let’s talk about something else. Like, how excited Landon was to meet Ladder yesterday,” Lily said quickly.

“Yeah, he was happy to meet him. I am seriously going to have to think of something to repay Andrew,” Annabelle said.

“You don’t have to repay him,” Dave told her. “Ladder had a great time. He even wanted to come today, but his parents were in town, and he couldn’t exactly ditch them,” he said with a smile. “But, apparently, he and Landon bonded a lot yesterday.”

“Yeah, he told Landon that he’d come back and visit him after the surgery,” Annabelle said with a sigh.

Lily eyed her. “You don’t sound too happy about that,” she observed.

“I just wish he wouldn’t promise something like that. I mean, it’s next to impossible that he’s actually going to be able to follow through with it. And, I understand that. I mean, his schedule is crazy, and with you guys in the middle of your season, there’s just no way he’s going to be able to make time for some random boy in the hospital. But, Landon, he’s not going to understand, and I’m going to be the one left to try to explain everything to him,” she explained.

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that,” Dave said. “I really think Ladder’s going to keep his word. I mean, he really did seem to get along with Landon, and I don’t think he’s going to just leave him hanging.”

“I hope you’re right,” Annabelle told him, before adding under her breath, “But, I’m not going to hold my breath.”

“Seriously, Annie, I think if there’s one person you can count on, it’s Ladder,” Lily told her with a smile, and Annie nodded in understanding.

Four hours later, Dave had gone to go get food for Annabelle, who refused to leave the waiting room, and Lily who was staying with Annabelle.

Lily turned her attention to the television, which was showing the news. The sports segment was on, and they were talking about the Blackhawks and their upcoming road trip.

“How do you manage?” Annabelle suddenly asked.

Lily turned to look at her. “What are you talking about?” she asked.

Annabelle pointed towards the television. “They said the Blackhawks are going on a road trip?” she asked, and Lily nodded her head. “How do you manage to have your boyfriend gone half the time?”

Lily shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t really know. I mean, it’s been like this since we first started going out. I love him, and he loves me, and we just manage, I guess.”

“So, you don’t get lonely or anything?” Annabelle asked.

“Are you kidding me?” Lily questioned. “Of course I get lonely! God, when he’s gone, I miss him so much. But, we talk to each other every day. He’ll call me after the game or in between the morning skate and the game. We make it work,” Lily smiled. “Why?”

“No reason,” Annabelle said, shrugging her shoulders.

“No, there’s a reason, so you might as well tell me,” Lily said. “Wait a minute, are you thinking of getting involved with a player or something?” Lily asked excitedly.

“Lily, I haven’t even gone out on a date in probably a year, and I haven’t had a relationship in at least two years. And, you think I’m going to get involved with a player?” Annabelle asked, laughing. “And, who exactly do you think this player is?”

Lily eyed her for a moment before saying with a smile, “Ladder.” When Annabelle didn’t respond, Lily’s smile grew wider. “It is Ladder, isn’t it?”

“No!” Annabelle exclaimed.

“Yes it is! You know, I have to admit, I think you two would make a good couple.”

“Lily, we’ve talked to each other maybe a total of ten or twenty minutes,” Annabelle reminded her.

“Yes, but Dave said that he and Landon bonded, which is a good thing,” Lily said. “And, don’t tell me you didn’t think he was good looking,” she said with a smile.

“Yes, he is good looking,” Annabelle replied, rolling her eyes. “But, still, that doesn’t mean that I’m thinking of getting involved with him. Lily, he’s just not my type,” Annabelle told her.

“A kind, smart, hot, sexy NHL player who gets along with Landon isn’t your type?” Lily questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“How would Dave feel about you talking about his teammate like that?” Annabelle asked her, trying to get the attention off of her.

“Quit avoiding the question,” Lily told her as Dave walked back in the waiting room, carrying a bag of food. The girls thanked him as he sat down next to Lily, and they sorted through the food.

“What were you guys talking about?” Dave asked.

Annabelle looked at Lily with a pleading look, as if begging her not to tell Dave what they were talking about. “Annie was just asking how I get along without you here when you’re away on road trips,” Lily told him.

“And, what did you tell her?” Dave asked.

“That I hook up with the first random guy I see on the street,” Lily joked.

“That’s my girl,” Dave smiled, putting an arm around her.

“But, seriously, I told her that we talk on the phone, but that I dread every moment away from you,” Lily admitted, giving him a kiss.

“Awww,” Annabelle sounded, and Lily broke away from Dave, rolling her eyes at Annabelle.

All of a sudden, the surgeon came walking into the waiting room. “Landon Marquis’s family?” he asked, going over to Annabelle, Dave, and Lily.

Annabelle stood up. “Yes, I’m Annabelle, his sister and legal guardian,” she introduced.

“I have good news,” he told her. “Landon’s surgery went perfectly. He’s in recovery right now, and you’ll be allowed to go see him as soon as he wakes up.”

“He’s okay?” Annabelle asked, needing to hear the surgeon say it one more time.

“Yes, he’s better than okay. He’ll make a full recovery and be better than when he went in,” the surgeon reassured her.

“Thank you so much,” Annabelle told him as the surgeon left the room. She turned around towards Lily and Dave, breathing a sigh of relief. “He’s going to be okay!” she cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm hoping this brings some good luck to my Blackhawks tonight (who desperately need it!).

Oh, and you all should be happy because I wasn't going to tell you if Landon made it through the surgery or not, and just leave it a cliffhanger. But, I figured that'd be bad karma, and my boys wouldn't win tonight (yes, I'm that superstitious).

So, please comment letting me know what you think =)