Sweet Silver Lining

My Number

Annabelle was sitting in Lily’s living room, waiting on her to finish getting ready before they went to the hospital. Today was the day that Landon was finally going to be released from the hospital, as long as all of the final tests that they were performing on him this morning came back with good results.

Annabelle glanced down at her watch, realizing she had plenty of time to get to the hospital. The doctors had told her that Landon wouldn’t be released until after one, at the earliest, and it was still before ten right now.

“So, what are your plans for tonight?” Annabelle asked Lily.

“Dave and I are doing something. I’m just not really sure what,” she laughed. Dave finally got back today after the team had been gone for the last week and a half on a road trip.

“Are you excited?” she asked.

“Of having Dave back?” Lily asked. “Of course. I always miss him when he’s gone,” she told her, picking up her coat and putting it on. “Are you ready to go?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Annabelle said, walking out the door after Lily.

Annabelle walked down the hallway to Landon’s room. She had the day all figured out, planning to do all the things Landon loved to do, including eating at his favorite restaurant and going to see the new Star Trek movie that he had been begging to go see, even though Annabelle despised those types of movies. She opened the door to his room, surprised to find an empty bed but a person sitting in the corner of the room.

“Annabelle?” she heard the person say her name, and she immediately recognized the voice.

She spun her head around, and was not surprised to see her suspicions confirmed. “Andrew, hey, what are you doing here?” she asked, smiling at him.

He stood up, walking over to her. “Well, I promised Landon I’d come back to visit him after his surgery. And, they told me that as long as his tests come back alright, he’ll be free to go today, right?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Annabelle told him. “As long as the tests come back alright, he’s getting released. Thank you for coming, by the way. He’ll be so happy to see you.”

“Well, I promised him I’d come back,” Andrew told her. “Besides, I really like Landon. He’s a cool kid,” he smiled.

“Yeah, he is,” Annabelle agreed. The door behind her opened, and she spun around to see Lily walk inside.

“Ladder!” she called. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to see Landon,” he told her.

“Well, have you seen that boyfriend of mine?” she asked him. “I’ve been trying to call him, but he hasn’t been picking up. Or, is he with his other girlfriend?” she joked.

“Actually, he’s around here somewhere. Maybe he’s visiting some of the kids?” Andrew suggested.

“Probably,” she said at the same time the door opened once again with Dave walking in. “Well, there’s that boyfriend of mine,” she laughed. “Visiting your other girlfriend?”

“Oh, yeah, you know that gorgeous, funny six-year-old down the hall,” Dave played along, giving her a kiss.

“Really, what are you doing here?” Lily asked him.

“Ladder and I are hanging out today,” Dave replied.

“Let me get this straight. You’re on a road trip for a week and a half, and when you get back, you’d rather spend time with your teammate than your girlfriend?” she asked, trying to act offended. “Well, I see who you love more!”

“Sorry,” Dave apologized. “But, I have special plans for tonight just with you,” he told her.

“Just the two of us?” she asked him, and Dave nodded his head. “I like the sound of that. Well, have fun with Ladder, then. What are your guys’ plans for today, then?” she asked as Landon came running into the room.

Landon walked right past Annabelle and right to Andrew. Annabelle felt her heart tighten a bit, and was sad that Landon had chosen to ignore that she was here, but she understood at the same time. Andrew was Landon’s hero, and Annabelle was his sister who he saw every day. Of course he’d choose to go to Andrew first.

“What are you doing here?” Landon asked excitedly.

“Well,” Andrew began. “I was thinking that if you get out of here today, that maybe you, me, and Dave can go out and celebrate. I was thinking that we could go to a local rink. You know, shoot the puck around and stuff like that?”

“Seriously?” Landon asked, his eyes going wide with excitement, and Andrew nodded his head. Landon turned around to Annabelle. “Can I, Annie?” he asked her.

“Annabelle, you’re obviously invited to come, too,” Andrew added, making sure she knew he wasn’t ignoring her.

“No!” Landon suddenly exclaimed. “I want it to be just the guys!”

Andrew looked at Annabelle apologetically, not knowing what to say. This wasn’t what he wanted to happen. He had wanted to include her in their plans. Annabelle looked at Landon. “Landon, I’m sorry, but you can’t go by yourself,” she began.

“Why not?” Landon interrupted. “I want it to be just the guys. No girls allowed.”

Annabelle looked to Andrew for help, knowing Landon wouldn’t listen to anything she had to say. “Landon, buddy, why don’t you want Annabelle to go?” Andrew asked him.

“Because, she’s a girl, and I want it to be a guys day,” he emphasized.

“Can I talk to Annie for a minute?” Lily asked, pulling Annabelle out into the hall. “I know you’re worried about leaving him alone with Dave and Andrew,” she told her. “And, I completely understand. I mean, you don’t really know them that well. But, I promise nothing’s going to happen with them watching him. They’ll watch him like he’s their own.”

Annabelle closed her eyes. “This is what he wants, isn’t it?” she asked.

“He wants a guys day,” Lily told her, nodding her head.

“Fine,” Annabelle sighed, walking back inside. “Landon, you can have your guys day,” she told him. “As long as you’re released today,” she added.

“Yay!” Landon exclaimed, jumping up and down.

“Landon, calm down,” Annabelle told him. “You just had surgery, and we don’t want anything to happen.”

“I know,” Landon told her, turning around to talk to Dave and Andrew as the doctor came in with Landon’s release papers, which Annabelle quickly signed.

“Landon, why don’t we get all of your things together?” Lily asked, and Landon nodded his head, helping her grab all of his clothes and put them into the duffel bag that Annabelle had brought.

Andrew walked over to Annabelle, pulling her out into the hallway. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for this to happen. I thought you would come with us,” he told her.

“It’s okay,” Annabelle said, even though it clearly wasn’t. “He wants it to just be the three of you, so that’s how it’ll be. But, I want you to call me if anything happens, okay? Anything,” she said. “Give me your phone,” she told him, grabbing it out of his hand and putting her phone number in there. “Anything,” she repeated.

“I promise,” Andrew told her. “Let me give you my number, too,” he said, and she handed him her phone. “Call me anytime,” he said. “And, I need your address so I can drop him off afterwards.”

“I live in the apartment next to Lily’s. I’m pretty sure Dave will be able to help you with directions,” she laughed. “Thank you,” she told him. “This will make Landon so happy.”

“No problem,” he told her. “And, again, call me at anytime if you want to talk to him or anything.”

“I’m pretty sure Landon will kill me if I call to talk to him.”

“Well, if you change your mind, don’t hesitate,” he told her as the two walked back inside the room to see an excited Landon jumping around the room.