Free Fall

I'm 6 feet from the edge and I'm thinking...

Standing on a building’s edge isn’t something that can give you hope, the desire of jumping down becomes stronger by the second, especially when you notice that the jump is the point of no return, of no regret. Besides the weird sensation that you can actually fly on your way down is what consumes you the most when you can’t go anywhere but down on a free fall.
Samantha had the feeling of that fall long ago before she was standing on that building. Tears streamed down her face reminding the things that led her there, wishing to end up with all the pain and leave the problem to someone else.

*Flashback

"What the hell do you think you’re doing?" Samantha’s mom ran chasing her around her room.

"I’m doing exactly what you told me to do!" Samantha yelled back tossing all her stuff down to the floor.

"No, you’re not! That’s exactly your problem! You never listen to me!"

"I heard clearly what you just said! Don’t you want me to leave? I will! So I won’t be bothering you anymore!"

"Maybe I’ll be better without you around, that’s right!" Samantha looked at her mom almost
in tears, but she wasn’t gonna cry infront of her. Deep inside she was hoping to hear her mom telling her to stay.

"Fine!" Samantha took a bag and tossed her clothes inside. "All you do is tell me how useless I am, how lazy I am, how the only thing I do is spending your precious money when you could be spoiling your real kids!" Samantha streamed out of the room with her mom on her tail.

"Maybe I will!"

"Yeah, you will like you never did with me!"

"Just know one thing, if you leave this house you better never come back!"

"I would I want to come back? Or is just cause you’re gonna have no one to yell at? I’m done with your shit!"

"Don’t treat your mother like that!"

"You’re not longer my mother! Is it clear?" Her mom just stared and Samantha shut the door hard before running down the street.

As she was running, tears flew off her face glistening with the streetlights. The night was coming slowly and she knew there was just only one place to be at the time. Things weren’t fine between them, but she had nowhere else to go. She knew she loved Mikey, but their relationship had been going down a while from now, fights were frequent and the lack of communication had done its harm. Even though, she ran in that direction when it started to rain. “Great!” She thought running even faster, not feeling her legs anymore. The rain mixed with her tears and her clothes were soaking wet. She hoped for Mikey to be in the penthouse and at least cradle her for the night. Even with the fights and all, he was the one to make her feel protected. Samantha finally arrived to his building and entered the lobby, trying to dry her clothes a little, but it was nearly to impossible. Locking the key into the elevator, she went up and entered his apartment. She was bout to call him out when she heard noise on the bedroom, like a struggle, so she went there just to find Mikey kissing with Alicia. Samantha dropped the bag and the dry noise on the floor made Mikey jump up and see her.

"Oh, God. Sammy…" Mikey stood up and Samantha ran back to the living room opening the doors to the stairs. "Sammy, wait up! Please!" Mikey ran behind her. She went on a daze as he yelled explaining things to her, the only thing she understood was something bout Alicia wanting to talk with him and she forcing him to kiss her. Samantha didn’t wanna know details and her head was already a mess. What could she think? Alicia was his g/f once and maybe since things weren’t going fine on their relationship, he would like to go back with her instead.

Hesitating between up or down, Samantha went for the easy way: a jump from that high would kill anyone. So she went up and Mikey didn’t see this so went down. Sam fell on the floor near the door to the roof and cried like she had never done it. She looked up at the door’s knob and holding onto it she stood up and opened the door. The rain had ceased and a weak moonlight filtered between the clouds.

*End Flashback*

So there she was, her blurry vision wasn’t enough to blind her walk to the edge. She stepped up and left less than an inch between her feet and the border. She looked down once again as the wind hit her face taking her tears away. She took a deep breath making up determination enough to jump once and for all. The door opened and a faint scream came to her ears before she could let go.

"Sammy! Please don’t!" Mikey freaked at the sight of her ready to fall.

"Why? Give me just one good reason." She said calmly but still looking down to the street.

"Because I love you." She smiled.

"Yeah, right. That’s why you were kissing her…"

"Sam, please listen to me. I wasn’t…" He stopped at one gesture from her.

"I saw what I saw. There’s no explanation to be made. I’ve made up my mind. Bye Mikey."

Everything went in slow motion. Samantha jumped and Mikey ran to catch her without making it and on his desperation to take her he jumped right after and wrapped his arms around her as they were falling. Sam smiled with tears in her eyes.

"Now I’m not afraid anymore…"