You Make Me Feel So Alive

Chapter 4: Phone Calls

I impatiently tapped my foot quickly and quietly while behind the counter at my job. It was approximately two days after I had met Max Green and I still had failed to call him. I watched as a customer very slowly started their way toward me so I could ring up what they wanted. The only thing was, was that they were stopping frequently to look at other things they would be interested in. I glanced quickly at my wrist watch and saw that my shift was almost over. Could this person go any slower?

I sighed and cleared my voice “Excuse me Miss?” she turned and looked at me, listening “It’s getting late and I need to close up the shop if you don’t mind”

I lady nodded and at last came rushing up to the counter. As I rung her up I couldn’t help but constantly think about calling Max. What was I going to say to him? Hey Max how’s it going do you want to come over so you can surprise my friend and we can hang and listen to your albums? I don’t think so. Something like this needs to be thought out, in my mind at least. Or maybe I should just wing it?

Before I knew what I was doing I handed the lady her bag and was practically shoving her out the door without a second thought. I wanted to lock up and get home so I could call Max already. It was killing me that I was so nervous and missing an opportunity like this would be a huge failure to me. Not to mention I figured they didn’t have much time left in this little old town in New Jersey.

When I had finished locking up the store I hurried my way to my car. I plopped down on the stiff chair and shoved the keys in the ignition starting the car. Then I pressed the CD button to listen to Escape the Fate and I was on my way home. During the whole way home I was barely paying attention it seemed to the road. Max Green seemed to be on my mind. I was mentally trying to prep myself for calling him so I didn’t sound like some idiot buffoon.

I parked the car in front of my home and hopped out. I took my keys out and unlocked my front door before throwing my purse and coat on the floor somewhere. I sat down on the couch in front of my blank TV just staring at my phone.

Call him call him call him, I begged myself as I went in my contacts and found his number. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly and pressed the send button and quickly put the phone to my ear. Part of me was hoping that he didn’t pick up because my heart was beating so hard it felt like it was going to rip right out of my chest. With each ring I asked my self, is he going to pick up? Was he going to pick up?

After a long pause someone picked up.

“Hello?” I heard Max’s voice ask.

“Hey Max its me. The girl from the CD store” I exclaimed nervously.

“Right! Hey I was expecting you to call sooner!” Max teased “You must have been nervous”

“Uh . . . well maybe!” I stuttered shyly.

“Haha its ok I don’t mind at all.”

“Well like you suggested when I saw you do you ..... Um you know.”

“Hell yeah. I want you to hook me up with your hot friend” I laughed and sighed in relief.

“My friend has a name you know”

“Hmm what was it again? All I can remember that she was pretty damn hot” I laughed some more.

“Her name was Kierstyn. I hope you remember that when I set you up with her!”

“Don’t worry I’ll be sure to write it down on my hand” he joked.

“Very funny Max”

“So when do you want to met up?”

“Um . . . Well how about I met you with Kier at the Smith’s fair by the popcorn stand this Saturday at lets say . . . . Seven?”

“Your gonna be there too?” I laughed.

“Well just so I can take Kier to you. I mean she doesn’t know it will be you I want to see her reaction.”

“Ah I see, ok I’ll be there!”

“You better be there or I will find you at your next concert and whack you!”

“Is that a threat?”

“. . . . maybe”

“I’m gonna tell Craig you threatened me and how you’re such a mean person!” Max joked while laughing.

“What!!! Not funny! That’s not fair!” I whined.

“Haha you’re such a Craig lover” Max stated before hanging up on me. I let out a huge sigh of relief that I had done my job and called him. Now I could rest in peace instead of staying up all night thinking I should call him and asking myself why I hadn’t called him. Kierstyn is going to be so psyched to see that I hooked her up with her biggest crush.

You know what I’m going to call her now, I thought as I flipped through my contacts again searching for Kier’s number. When the red bar landed on her number I pressed send.

My phone rung while I was reclining on my soft plush couch so I reached over to the coffee table and picked it up. The caller ID said that it was Sam.

“Hi Sam!” I greeted happily.

“Hey Kier” she greeted back.

“So what’s up? What news do you have now?” I questioned thinking about what we had talked about the last time she had called me.

“I have a huge surprise for you this Saturday at 7 ‘O clock!” she shouted joyously. What was she up to? It wasn’t going to be my birthday anytime soon. That could only mean one thing. “I set you up with someone for a date!”

“Uh . . . really?” I said a bit unsure. I didn’t think that Sam could understand my taste in guys, but maybe this once wouldn’t be so bad.

“Yeah and I just know your going to love him!!!”

“Who is he?”

“Well if I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore!”

“Not even just his first name?”

“Nope! Although I will tell you that his name starts with an M!”

I laughed and said sarcastically “Oh wow that tells me a lot”

“Yeah I know right? Anyway I’m going to take you to meet him though.”

“Um ok so you can help me ditch him if I don’t like him?”

“Nah I just want to see your reaction when you see him”

“Why’s that?”

“Well . . . let’s just say that you’ll be very happy and that you’ll be thinking about owing me big time”

“Hmm this must be big then”

“Haha sure is, but I got to go Kier-” I cut her off.

“Wait! I have a surprise for you too! It’s a date also. So why don’t we just do double dates?”

“Really? Sounds good to me”

“So where are we meeting them?”

“The Smith’s Fair on Saturday at 7 by the popcorn stand”

“Ok! Thanks. Bye Sam!”

“See Ya!” she shouted and hung up. I closed my phone and placed it on the coffee table again and closed my eyes. Sam hooked me up with someone? Why would she do that? Just thinking about it reminded me that I had to call Craig and set him up with Sam. We both had surprises for each other that we knew we’d love.

I sat up straight and turned the TV off. I got up and went over into my kitchen with my phone in my hand again. Opening my junk cabinet I grabbed a pen and post it note and wrote down the time and place for my date. Next I threw the pen back and flipped my phone open again. I found Craig’s number and hopped up on the counter to sit on it.

While waiting to see if he picked up I banged my feet against the cabinet door while singing a song in my head. When it got to the 4th ring I was ready to just give up but I herd the phone being picked up and Craig saying hello. I said hello back, telling him who I was, and he almost seemed surprised.

“Hey how’s it going?” Craig asked

“Not much other then my friend just told me she hooked me up with someone” I informed while Craig made a slight chuckle sound.

“So are you going to hook me up with your cute friend? Sam I think her name was?”

“Yeah I am going to get you guys together. You know like a double date with her since she got me someone and yes her name is Sam.”

“Haha sure thing-”

“Hey!! Craig!! Is that, that hot girl from the signing?!?!” I herd someone shout in the background and then next thing I knew he yelled “OH HELL YEAH! GIVE ME THE PHONE!!!!!”

“NO!” Craig shouted in protest and I herd signs of struggle.

“So where is this place?” Craig grunted.

“The Smith’s Fair. We’ll meet you there at 7 on a Saturday by the popcorn stand”

“Thanks!” Craig said, but then adding to whoever was in the background “I SAID NO MAX!!! GET OFF ME!!!”

Next thing I knew the line went dead and I started to crack up laughing. Well that was done and now Sam was paid back. The look on her face was going to be priceless when I saw her. I just couldn’t wait. I went back over to my TV and switched it on. The channel I had been watching, Fuse, popped up on my screen and the song Something came on. I sang along with a huge smile on my face. Saturday sure was going to be something. I wonder what my date is going to look like.