My Nearly immortal life

Not my morning

Chapter #7: Not my morning
I woke to the sound of a woman’s scream. Bolting out of bed I unlocked the door and ran down the stairs, (I was still in my boxer shorts, and my hair wasn’t combed) apparently I was the only one awake other than the screamer; who happened to be the maid Beatrice with both hands placed over her mouth in a display of shock and horror.
“What happened, Beatrice?” I asked in panicked concern. She didn’t say a word, but instead she pointed into the living room, towards Annie and Conner both lying on the floor.
“I just arrived for work and I found them lying there.” Beatrice gasped, “ Are they dead?” I ran over to them and checked their pulses; they were both alive, just unconscious. As I woke them up, Conner asked with a groan,
“What happened?”
“You were both knocked out.” I answered, “What do you remember from last night after I left for bed?”
“After you left, Sarah was really mad at us and started crying.” Annie answered with a frown. “We felt really bad. Then I felt a strange pain on the back of my neck, and then you woke me up.
“Where’s Sarah?” I asked. Conner stood up, looked around and said,
“I don’t know…” I then ran up the stairs,
“Oh crap…” I said to myself as I saw the “notorious magazine cut out ransom note” taped on her bedroom door; it read,

Good morning Mr. Salurn,
You may have noticed the handy work of our stealth trained strike team by now, if so you may also notice the absence of your precious Sarah Adamson. The men you rescued her from the other night have “friends in high places”. We rendered all occupants of the mansion unconscious simultaneously and kidnapped Sarah’s unconscious body and several valuables to use for a “surprise”. We are holding her captive in an abandoned warehouse at 32nd New Grove Street in New Chicago, be there at 12:00 noon. No ransom is required all we ask is for a “little chat.” Come alone, unarmed, and don’t bring the cops, we much prefer that she could live.
See you there:
The Claymore Gang
Preparation
I took the note into my guest room, got dressed, put the note in my right back pocket, and planned my course of action. I knew I had to obey their demands but I didn’t expect the mentioned “little chat” to be a friendly conversation. I checked my watch; 10:24, I didn’t have much time. I went into the garage to borrow a car, but the keys were gone in all of them. I could ask someone in the mansion for them, but then they would find out what was happening, they’d probably call the police, and put Sarah’s rescue (and life) in danger. The only thing I could do to rescue Sarah in time was the exact thing I didn’t want to do; I had to shift into a fast moving creature. I don’t mind shifting, but it can be a major head turner when I’m a wild animal running through the city. I had to be subtle, and I knew just the creature to use.
Low running
I was running through the forest of legs on the sidewalks of New Chicago, looking up at the street sign at the end of each block, I was a Fitrul at the time (a small fast rodent native to the savannahs of Koval 2 that ran on two legs) moving at about thirty miles per hour, darting through the walking legs of the larger citizens of New Chicago. While running past an open doorway I was forced to quickly stop, someone had stepped on my Fitrul tail,
“Were do you think your going?” a familiar voice asked. After being carried by the tail into a nearby alley I was set on the ground. I then shifted into my human form while we were in private.
“I’ll ask you again Noah,” the voice persisted “where are you off to in such a hurry?”
“Hey Dan, how’s it going?” I replied with an uneasy smile, Dan stared at me angrily through shady sunglasses.
A fly On My Wall
“Don’t dodge my questions Mr. Salurn, I know where you’re off too.” Dan snapped “After you got a bit of lip time with the human the Claymore Gang captured her, and now you’re off to rescue her, who do you think you are? Messing with the affairs of mortals, who do you think you are, some kind of Greek god of human mythology?”
“No,” I answered, “but it’s my fault she’s in this mess and I can’t let her suffer for my actions, and how did you know about last night?”
“Lets just say I put good use to the term “a fly on your wall.” Dan said, “I won’t stop you Noah, but I strongly suggest ending your so called “relationship” with your human lover after you save her. Goodbye…” Then Dan shifted into a pigeon and flew away. I checked my watch; 11:42 not much time to get there on foot