Fatal Attraction

3 A.M.

Image
Maddy rolled over at the ringing in her ear. She flipped on her lamp and then grumbled as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Her clock was blinking 2:58 a.m. She grabbed her cell phone from the night stand and flipped it open.

"Hello?" She whispered, hoping no one else had woken up.
"Maddy! Who the fuck is Edward Cullen." Aaron's voice ask.

Maddy sighed, and then raised up and try to collect her thoughts. Why was Aaron calling so late, and questioning her about Edward?

"Hold up. . . What are you talking about?" Maddy ask.
"Edward Cullen-- this guy you've been seeing." Aaron spat.

Aaron sounded angry, and Maddy knew he wouldn't call unless it was important, or unless he had something urgent to talk about. It wasn't the weekend-- therefore the phone bill was going to be outrageous on his behalf.

"Edward and I are friends, Aaron, nothing more."
"Well, I heard the two of you were getting pretty fucking cozy down there in Washington. Did the last two years to you mean nothing, Maddy? How can you fucking do this to me!" He screamed.
"I'm not doing anything to you." Maddy spat, "I don't know where you're getting your information, but you need to stop making assumptions, Aaron."
"I got a myspace message telling me that you'd been busy with Edward a lot-- the person didn't want to see me hurt." Aaron said.

Maddy rolled her eyes and clicked the information together. She knew Claire was devious, but she never knew that she would drop to this level.

"It was from Claire, wasn't it?" Maddy questioned.
"Yes-- she's only looking out for me." Aaron said, causing Maddy laugh.
"Looking out for you? Aaron you can't be serious. Are you really going to believe her?"
"I kind of do, Maddy. You've been so distant lately-- and it just seems like you're so busy there. The distance is causing us troubles. . . I think it would be best if we just--"
"Break up?" She hissed.

She couldn't believe he was breaking up with her. After two years of dating, and so many years of friendship-- he was going to break up with her just because her step sister messaged him on myspace and fed him full of bullshit.

"I think it would be best." He admitted.
"You're an asshole, Aaron." She said flipping her phone shut, and then turning it off.

She glanced over at the clock and saw that it was just a bit after three in the morning. She rolled over and closed her eyes. She thought a break up with Aaron would be much harder than it was, but part of her actually felt relieved.

Meanwhile Alice rushed into Edward's room and looked over at him with wide eyes. She had just received her first clear vision of Maddy-- she was sitting in her bed, on the phone with someone, a boyfriend, Alice assumed. They had just broke up.

"Edward! Maddy and some guy just broke up." She babbled.
"She and Aaron broke up?" He ask, looking at the clock. "When?"
"I assume right now, or maybe just a few minutes ago." Alice said.
"How do you know?" Edward ask.

Alice thought about the vision she had just had and Edward studied her mind; capturing every single detail of it. A small smile crawled onto his lips. Part of him was happy about the news, while the other part was mad. He couldn't believe a guy would believe Claire over Maddy-- and he felt guilty for being the reason behind the break up.

"What about the rest of her future?" He ask.
"I'm not sure-- still scrambled. Seems like she's not made any decisions yet." Alice said.

Edward nodded his head, and watched as his sister walked out of the room. He was actually looking forward to school.

Maddy walked into Forks High a bit late. She didn't wake up on time due to her being sleepy from Aaron's late night call. She still couldn't believe he broke up with her. She decided that if he was going to dump her over something as stupid as Claire's message, then she deserved better than him anyways. She signed into the office as a tardy, and noticed that it was just a few minutes before the first period ended. She walked down to her locker, and decided to go ahead and get her books for second period.

She saw Bella walking down the hallway at a quick pace-- she shot Maddy a small insecure smile and then darted into the bathroom. Maddy knew she was probably suffering from morning sickness. Bella's pregnancy had now swarmed around the entire school. All the town talked about was Chief Swan's daughter being pregnant at seventeen. Maddy had heard the father's name was Jacob Black-- although she had no clue who he was.

"Maddy?"

Maddy turned around and gave Alice Cullen a weak smile.

"You're late, huh." Alice said with a chuckle.
"Yeah-- over slept." Maddy said.
"It happens. . . well, not to me." Alice said laughing.

Maddy smiled and then giggled, getting the joke about how Alice could never over sleep-- she never slept at all! The bell soon rang and Maddy said her goodbyes to Alice and darted off towards her classes.

Edward was walking down the hallway when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He slowly turned around and saw Bella standing there. She was biting down on her bottom lip, which was pouted out a bit.

"What?" He questioned.
"I. . I'm sorry, Edward. . . I know you probably think I'm a horrible person." Bella said.
"I don't think you're horrible, Bella."

Edward knew Bella was referring to her getting pregnant by Jacob while she was dating him. The truth was-- it did bother him a little bit. It would have bothered him a lot more if Maddy hadn't came along. Bella didn't even cross his mind anymore, the only woman who filled his thoughts were Maddy.

"Friends?" She questioned.
"Sure." Edward said half smiling.

When Edward arrived to Art, he noticed Maddy and Hayley were deep in conversation. He flashed Maddy a small smile and then took his seat behind her. He listened as she talked about her break up with Aaron to Hayley.

"So, he actually believed her?" Hayley questioned.
"Yeah-- but whatever. If he's going to believe her, then I seriously think I'm better off without him."
"I think you're better off without him anyways." Hayley said.
"Yeah." Maddy said, nodding her head and focusing on the assignment that the teacher was scribbling across the board.

Once they finished their assignment, he told them they could talk lowly-- as long as the talking didn't get out of control, he wouldn't sign any more work. Hayley was flirting with a boy sitting next to her, causing Maddy to roll her eyes and laugh. She felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and looked deep into Edward's topaz eyes.

"What happened?" He ask.
"When?"
"Aaron-- Alice had a uh. . . you know." He said.
"Oh, Yeah-- we broke up around three this morning. He believed Claire over me."
"I'm sorry-- I know my name was brought up." Edward said.
"Don't be sorry-- it's nothing to worry about." Maddy said smiling.
"You sure?"
"Positive!" Maddy said laughing lightly.

Edward smiled-- this girl made him feel so amazing. He knew she was now on the market-- but her heart needed time to heal. How long would she need?