Fatal Attraction

Promise

Image

Maddy sit in Creative Writing thinking about imprinting. She couldn't believe that something like that existed. She was never one to believe in love at first sight; so she defiantly didn't believe in this. If Jacob loved her-- that was his problem. Because she was falling in love with Edward. Hayley leaned over and passed Maddy a note, she opened it and quickly read the words on the page.

"I'm going to La Push today, you in?"

Maddy pulled out her black ink pen and scribbled down her answer.

"No-- sorry. Mom wasn't to keen on hearing about cliff diving, so I'm not allowed back there." Maddy wrote, hoping to put the blame off on her mother.

Hayley frowned upon seeing her response, but slowly nodded her head anyways. Maddy's plan was to stay as far away from Jacob Black as she could. She didn't want him falling through the cracks, and coming in to steal her heart. She knew Edward must believe in the power of imprinting since he was got so angry even thinking about Jacob Black imprinting on her.

She stood up when the bell rung, and Maddy collected her things and headed off to the cafeteria.

Edward was waiting for Maddy at the table, when Rosalie decided to voice her opinion on the situation.

"I think you might as well let her run off with the dog." Rosalie hissed.
"Rose, can you please shut up?" Edward spat.
"I'm just trying to save you!" She said, a little louder than intended, "You're going to be heart broken when he finally breaks through and wins her head-- Do you honestly think she's going to stand by your side? He can give her everything, Edward!" Rosalie spat.

Edward knew what Rosalie meant by 'everything'. Everything to Rosalie meant a child, or children. Something he would never be able to give her. He ran his fingers through his messy hair and looked up when the cafeteria door opened up. She walked in, and her smile brightened up his day. She was his sun, on the most overcast and rainy day. He would do anything in his power to keep her his.

She reached his table after a minute of so, sinking down beside him. He smiled, as he reached under the table and laced his fingers with hers. His cold touch was comforting to Maddy. She smiled when Alice and Jasper joined them at the table, followed by the large one she come to know as Emmett.

"Did you hear about the announcement?" Alice ask.
"What announcement?" Edward questioned.
"The theme for prom-- it's a black and white ball!" Alice said, "Everyone has to be dressed in either black or white-- no other colors are permitted."
"That's kind of dumb." Maddy said.
"I agree." Rosalie said under her breath, not wanting anyone to know she agreed with Maddy.
"It'll be loads of fun!" Alice said, "You're going right?" She ask Maddy.
"I. . . uhm--" Maddy didn't know whether she was going or not. Edward hadn't ask yet.
"Of course, she's going-- she's not missing out on something like prom." Edward said.

She looked over at him and smiled.

Lunch was soon over, and Edward walked Maddy to their history class. She noticed Bella shot her a look of disgust when they passed her in the hallway. Maddy frowned. She couldn't blame Bella for hating her. She was pregnant with Jacob's baby, and he had imprinted on Maddy. She hated herself for putting Bella in such a situation.

"Don't worry about Bella-- she's stronger than some think." Edward whispered in her ear.
"I thought you couldn't read my mind." She whispered back.
"I can read your face." He said, placing his hand on her chin, and stoking his finger over her frown.

Alice tried to concentrate on prom during history class but she was finding it difficult. She was only getting small glances at prom. She raised her small hands up and massaged her temples. Edward noticed her discomfort, and leaned over and ask her what was wrong.

"I can't see prom clearly-- I'm very focused in." She said, "It's like missing gaps or something." Alice said.

Edward gritted his teeth together once again. He knew what the missing gaps meant-- it meant a werewolf was involved, and it was more than likely Jacob Black. He groaned loudly, catching the attention of Maddy, who was sitting in front of him. She shot him a look and then turned around and paid attention to the lesson. Alice caught on to what Edward predicted and nodded her head. That was the only explanation as to why prom wasn't clear.

Edward wondered if he should even go to prom now. Should he and Maddy still tag along? If Jacob was going to be there, then he would try to talk to Maddy. Edward would lose his temper, and possibly start a war right in the middle of the gym.

"Edward? Let's go! We're gonna be late for Chemistry." Maddy said.

He shook his head and looked around the room. Everyone else had left. He looked up into her deep chocolate brown eyes and frowned as he raised up and took her hand in his as they made their way out of the room and down to their next class.

"What was you thinking about?" She questioned him, in their next period.
"I think Jacob Black is going to be at the prom." Edward said.
"Oh--" Maddy said frowning, "We don't have to go, Edward." She suggested.
"Don't be silly-- it's your prom." He said.
"But, I'll have another one next year." She reminded him.

That was true; she would have a senior prom next year. But what if he showed up then too? Edward sighed. He knew she would have to face Jacob Black sooner or later. The only way to avoid him was to change her into a vampire-- and that was something he wasn't going to do.

"No-- you're going to your prom. Just remember, don't pay attention to his advances." Edward said.

Maddy nodded her head. She hated all this tension and drama. All she wanted was to be happy with Edward, but it seemed like that was going to be harder than she thought it would be.

When she got up to leave the classroom, Bella stopped her.

"Listen-- if you're going to fall for Jacob, then do it now. Don't wait until he and I become even closer." Bella snapped.
"I'm not falling for him, Bella. I have Edward-- and you two have a baby on the way. I have more respect than that."
"He says it's involuntary. That you can't help it."
"He may not be able to help it. But I'm in charge of my feelings, and I promise you-- I am not ever going to fall in love with Jacob Black." Maddy said, looking Bella dead in the eyes.

Bella swallowed hard. For some reason-- she believed Maddy.

"Thank you." Bella mumbled, walking away.

Maddy sighed, and then made a promise to herself. She didn't care what happened, she would never fall in love with Jacob Black-- and if she did, if she couldn't help but to fall under his spell-- then she would never act upon it. She would go on with her life, pretending as if the werewolf never existed.