Fatal Attraction

Fear

Image
Edward hadn't experienced fear in eighty or so odd years, but the moment Maddy said they needed to talk, fear shot through every bone in his body. It was never good when a woman said 'we need to talk'. He was already expecting the worse. He was trying to prepare his heart for her rejection. He was going to have to come to terms that he had lost her to a dog. He sighed, as she drove out of town and turned down a old dirt road. Was she scared of his reaction? Did she think he would freak out in front of everyone? He looked over at her and watched as she never took her eyes off the road. The rumbling in her head was quick and a bit louder, even though he couldn't make out anything she was thinking. It seemed as if she had a thousand thoughts running through her mind.

She parked the car, off in the bush and then cut the engine. She sighed, as she turned and looked at him. His liquid topaz eyes were burning into her. She could see the look of sorrow in his face. She scrunched her brows up in confusion. Why did he look so sad?

"Edward--"
"No-- Maddy, I'm sorry-- I know what you're going to say, and I know you can't help it." He said, making his hands clutch into fist. "It's my fault-- I should have been there; kept you away from that filthy dog. . ." He said.
"Edward--"
"No! I'm sorry, Maddy-- I know he's probably used his smooth words, and muscles to warm you over."
"Edward, enough! Stop cutting me off." She said quickly.

He looked at her for a second, and she was positive that if he was capable of tears, then they would be draining from his eyes. She laughed lightly, and then reached over and touched his cold cheek with her warm hand. He closed his eyes; cherishing the moment of when her skin was next to his. He didn't know how much longer he'd have an opportunity like this.

"I wanted to apologize." She said.

His eyes fluttered open quickly and he starred at her.

"You apologize? For what?" He demanded.
"I should have been more careful today-- I should have examined my surroundings. I cut your hunting trip short and I'm sorry." She said.

Edward sighed out of relief, and then allowed a small smile to curve into his lips.

"This is what you wanted to talk about?" He questioned.
"Yes-- I wanted to apologize for being so stupid and not making sure Jacob and his friends weren't around when I got out."
"Maddy-- You have no clue how relieved I am to hear you say that." He said, moving so he could hug her, which was difficult in her small car, but they arranged it.

After a moment or two of hugging, she backed away from his hug and looked at him in the eyes.

"Do you forgive me?" She ask.
"I should be asking you that." He said.
"I thought when you said 'we need to talk', that you had fell under his spell-- I thought you was bringing me out here to break up with me."
"Are you crazy?" She ask, with a grin, "I love you, Edward-- I'm not going to fall under anyone's spell-- I'm already under one." She said.
"So, talking to Jacob done nothing to you today." He questioned.
"Nothing-- he was nice and everything, but Edward, I'm in love with you, no one is going to steal my heart. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not even in charge of it anymore; it's yours, completely." She said.

Edward sighed once again, and then leaned over and placed his lips against her cheek, pressed, and then moved over to her ear, "I love you more than you could ever imagine." He whispered.

They sit there in the car, just looking at each other for a few more minutes, before Edward decided it would be a good idea for her to get home. It was getting dark out, and he was sure her mom would be worried.

"I'll run from here-- I'll stop by tonight, Okay? I love you." He said, kissing her forehead.
"I love you as well." She said, watching him get out of her vehicle.

He watched her get on the main road, and then he took off in a dash towards his house. He was surprised to see his family all in the living room when he walked inside. Alice stood up and walked over to him.

"What happened? Was it the dogs?" She questioned.
"Yeah-- Jacob and one of his friends were there. He attempted to talk to her, she basically told him to shove it." Edward said.
"How do you know she told him to shove it? She could have just told you that's what she said." Rosalie hissed.
"Rose. . ." Esme warned her not to continue.
"How can she deny him, Edward?" Rosalie yelled; ignoring Esme's warning.
"He's going to be whatever she wants! He's going to adore her-- he's going to give her whatever she wants!" Rosalie continued on with her rant, "HE CAN GIVE HER CHILDREN." Rosalie yelled.
"ENOUGH, ROSALIE." Carlisle butted in.

Rosalie sit down on the couch harshly, and shot her adoptive father a look of distaste. Alice's face was blank, she didn't know what to do. Jasper used his powers to calm the room down. Esme closed her eyes and shook her head. She was extremely disappointed in Rosalie.

"This family will not be torn because of her." Carlisle announced, "Rosalie, accept your brother's decision on who he loves-- you're happy with Emmett, allow him to be happy with Maddy."

Rosalie stood up, and walked over to Edward. She looked at him with rage.

"If you love her so much-- are you really willing to steal her life? Are you willing to let her be bitter like me when she realizes she can't have children? I don't hate her Edward-- I'm actually just looking out for her. I wouldn't wish this on no one, and that's why I'm so against you being with human girls. Sooner or later-- they'll end up like us, and if they do-- then it's over." Rosalie said, walking up the stairs.

"Don't listen to her, Edward." Alice insisted.

Edward couldn't help but to take what Rosalie said to heart though. She was speaking the truth-- if he and Maddy planned on being together forever, even if she did remain human, he was stealing her life away from her. He'd never be able to give her a child, and once she started to age, would she want someone who was stuck as a seventeen year old forever? He rubbed his hands through his messy hair, and then walked out of the living room and up to his room.

He desperately needed to think about what he was going to do.