Fatal Attraction

Gossip

Image
The next day at school Maddy caught on quickly to how fast the gossip of Bella's pregnant test spread. It seemed like it went down the food chain of high school clicks like a quickly spreading forest fire. Claire and her friends wasted no time in making sure everyone in school knew about it. Maddy felt bad for Bella and Edward, being a teenager and going through a pregnancy scare, or even possibly a pregnancy was one thing, but having everyone talk about it non-stop was another.

"I can't believe everyone's making such a big deal about it." Maddy said to Hayley
"Isn't this a big deal in Pennsylvania? Normally girls here don't get pregnant while their still in high school." Hayley pointed out.
"She might not even be pregnant, people are jumping to conclusions." Maddy said.

Hayley shrugged her shoulders as the two of them walked into Art. Maddy saw Edward sitting in his assigned seat and frowned, she knew it must be hard for him to deal with this.

Edward had heard the rumors and couldn't believe it. Bella could possibly be pregnant, and the entire school thought it was his. If she was in fact pregnant, there was no possibly chance of the baby being his since he and Bella had never went any further than kissing, and he didn't even know if it was possibly for a human and a vampire to conceive a child. Conceiving a child with a human was not something Edward wanted to think about. At least he now knew one of the reasons why Bella had broken up with him-- it was clear that she had someone else. Someone who she had been much more physical with than him.

He took in a deep breath and smelled in the sweet scent of Maddy. He looked at her and grinned. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever laid his eyes on. He couldn't believe he found her face more attractive than her blood, and it wasn't even just her face. It was everything about her. Her voice, her face, her personality. She wasn't like any girl in Forks. She was opinionated, open, honest, and not shy. He knew though this attraction was fatal. He would never allow himself to be that close to another human.

'I can't believe Edward could be a father. . . that just steals away some of hotness.' one of his female classmates thought.
'I wish I was pregnant with his baby.' another thought.
'I haven't saw him and Bella together today. . . is it even his baby?' One questioned in their mind.

Edward scrunched his eyebrows up in confusion as he pretended to concentrate on the speech his teacher was giving. In reality, he was trying to figure out who Bella could have slept with. He pictured Mike putting the moves on her at work one day, or even possibly Eric. He then bit down on his lip as he remembered how much time she had been spending at La Push. His hands balled up into fist when the name came to his mind.

Jacob Black.

"Edward?" A soft voice spoke.

He broke out of his daze and looked up into Maddy's dark chocolate eyes. He looked around the rest of the room and noticed it was free of all other humans, beside the Art teacher who was sitting at his desk grading papers.

"Class ended like a couple minutes ago. . . Are you alright?" Maddy questioned.
"Fine." He muttered, getting up, shoving past Maddy, and storming out of the room.

Maddy rolled her eyes. She had stayed around in attempts of being nice, and he shoved past her, not even thanking her that she broke him out of his day dream.

"Jackass." She mumbled once she hit the hallways. She quickly walked down to her locker and gathered her books, rushing off to class. She hoped she wasn't going to be late since her attempts in being nice to Edward were worthless.

During Writing/English class Hayley and Maddy passed notes during the entire period since they had a substitute teacher. Maddy couldn't stop thinking about Edward though. She had actually decided to be nice to him, and he shoved past her. She didn't understand why he was so rude towards her. She hadn't done anything to deserve it.

"So. . . Did you hear about the fair in Port Angeles?" Hayley ask
"The fair?" Maddy questioned.
"Yeah, Saturday and Sunday-- It's going to be awesome."
"I hadn't heard about it-- but I'll probably drop by once I get a car."
"You're getting one Saturday morning, right?" Hayley ask.
"Yeah. . ."

At lunch the gossip of Bella and Edward seemed to spread even more. It had now reached the bottom of the food chain. Even the most unpopular Freshmen knew about it. Maddy was surprised when Bella took a seat beside Mike. She dropped her head and starred at her plate of food. Angela was the only one who talked to her. Jessica just kept making faces at all the other girls.

"So, what did the test read?" Angela whispered to Bella.

Bella just looked up and softly nodded her head, which meant it read positive. She didn't know how she was suppose to tell her father.

"So. . . Edward not taking it good?" Maddy heard Mike question.
"Edward and I broke up." Bella said.

Maddy was surprised when she had heard that Bella and Edward broke up. For the first time since she had arrived to Forks, she was interested in Edward Cullen. Not because of his extremely gorgeous face, or his smooth way with his words, but it was because she wanted to know what had happened. Did he dump Bella because she was pregnant? Or was there another reason for their break up.

"She's pregnant." Rosalie said, for the hundredth time. She couldn't believe it.
"Yes. She's pregnant, Rose. Can we please stop discussing her." Edward spat.
"Whose the father?" Jasper questioned.
"I don't know for sure." Edward said, his fist still clutched into tight fist.

Alice frowned. She had an idea as to who the father was, but she wasn't going to say anything. Her visions of Bella's mate was nonexistent-- which meant it was probably Jacob. She felt bad for Edward, but something told her that he wouldn't be unhappy for long. She had a good feeling about Maddy. She was still trying to see her future, but it was still blurry.

"What are you going to do?" Emmett ask.
"Nothing." Edward replied, "We'll graduate by next year and move on to another place."

Edward took his seat in Chemistry and was furious. He wished everyone would stop talking, and thinking about him and Bella. The girls fantasies were driving him wild, and he couldn't believe the crazy things that people were thinking. He watched as Maddy walked into the room. He decided to focus on her mind for the entire hour, tune everyone else out. Hearing a rumble of whispers was much better than hearing fantasies and talk about him being a father.

Maddy decided she wouldn't speak to him, unless it was needed. She was done being nice. She had made that attempt in Art, and she had decided that he wasn't worth her time. She rolled her eyes when Mr. Banks handed them out yet another work sheet that was suppose to be done in pairs.

"I'll do one through five, you can do six through ten." She spat.
"Why don't we work together?" Edward questioned.
"Because, I'd rather not speak to you ever again if you don't mind." Maddy hissed.

She quickly found the answers and scribbled them down on the piece of paper, and then passed it over to Edward. He looked at her confused.

"Why don't you want to talk to me?" He questioned.
"Because you're a dick." She replied.
"How am I a dick?" He questioned.
"Because, You're rude, inconsiderate, and you take your bad days out on other people. I'm just not the type of person to tolerate that behavior. So, it'd be better if we weren't friends." She said.

Edward was hurt by her words. His intentions were not to be any of those things. In the beginning he was rude and snappy because of how her blood affected him. Then he had to deal with everything going on with Bella. It seemed like Maddy could care less about his excuses though.

"I'm sorry." Edward mumbled, after finished his half of the questions.
"Sorry doesn't cut it." She replied.

He had tried to talk to her several more times throughout the class. She just hushed him. Once the bell rang, she quickly walked the paper up to Mr. Banks desk and then out of the room. He picked up his books quickly and took off in search of Maddy. Whether she liked it or not he was going to apologize again.