Fatal Attraction

Stained Pillows

Image
Maddy woke up the next morning to the sun beaming through her window. Her eyes were puffy due to the excessive amounts of crying, and her light pink pillows were stained with her mascara. She raised up out of the bed and frowned when she realized Edward wasn't there, and he probably wouldn't be for a couple of weeks. But, he was doing this for her. He was doing this for her father. She tossed the covers off her legs and gathered up some clothing so she could take herself a shower. She needed to ease up her tense muscles.

After her shower, she walked downstairs and into the kitchen, where her mother was sitting over a cup of steaming hot coffee. Her mind was elsewhere though. She looked like she was in another world. Clearly, Susan hadn't slept any, the large brown bags under her eyes showed her that.

"You okay, Mom?" Maddy ask.

Susan snapped out of it, and gave her daughter a weak smile. "I'm fine sweetie. Just Ava was up most of the night."
"Yeah. . . I didn't sleep well either."
"I'm sorry sweetie. Where did Edward run off to last night?"
"Oh. . . uhm, he had a family emergency as well."

Susan frowned, "When it rains it pours. Is everything alright?"
"It will be-- but, he's going to be away for a couple of weeks."
"Oh, Gosh. Sweetheart, I am so sorry."
"It's fine."
"I can't believe how things take a turn for the worse. I've phoned the police department in Pennsylvania all morning and they won't tell me any news on Chris. Mike even phoned his family back home. They said the disappearances are getting worse. It just hits home with Aaron. . . and now your father." Susan said, shuddering when she thought about all of her friends back home.
"Yeah. . . I just hope they figure out what's going on."
"I'm going to go over and see Alice-- Make sure she's okay with everything."
"Oh. . . Didn't she go along?"
"No. . . only Edward and Jasper went."
"Oh okay, have a good time sweet heart. Try not to worry about things. Everything will work out-- it always does."

Maddy nodded her head, even though she could see straight through her mom. Susan was heart broken. Even though she had divorced Chris, Maddy knew she still loved him, and probably always would. She wished she could explain everything to her mom, but she knew she couldn't. She would never be able to explain it. She wouldn't risk the secret of her future family-- she wouldn't risk her future secret.

Maddy climbed into the driver's seat of her car, and buckled her seat belt. It was weird for her to drive again. Edward had basically drove her everywhere since the two of them got together. She turned up the cd player, and backed out of her drive way. The ride to the Cullen's was longer than she remembered, but then she giggled when she looked at the speed she was traveling. Only 45 miles per hour, which was speed limit on the road. However, Edward traveled 70 minimum. She gave her signal, and then turned down their private road.

Alice was waiting for her on the porch. It was weird; but somehow the two of them were going through this together. Alice was going to miss Jasper just as much as Maddy was going to miss Edward.

"Hey Mads." Alice said in a cheerful voice.
"Hey Alice."

Alice smiled, "Don't worry-- they are going to be fine. We're going to have nonstop girls time until they return." The pixie haired beauty said.

Maddy giggled, glad to have someone like Alice in her life. She walked into the home and smiled when Esme came walking out of the kitchen, pulling her into a hug. Esme was apologizing and Maddy just smiled.

"It could have been worse-- I could have lost him forever."
"That's true." Esme said smiling, "But you do understand it may take time before you can actually see him again?"
"I get that." Maddy said, sighing a bit. "I just hope he accepts the lifestyle."
"He will-- I've saw it. He's actually going to accept it easily. Once he finds out you know about it, he honestly can't wait to build his control up." Alice said smiling.

Maddy smiled widely. That was the greatest news she could have heard.

"Well, let's pass some time. I've got roses in the garden that need watering, girls!" Esme said sweetly.

Edward and Jasper made it to the island without being saw. Jasper held the door open and Edward packed Chris into the house. He quickly took Maddy's father into the guest room and placed him on the bed. Chris only had one day of transformation left.

"I'm going to phone Maddy and let her know we've arrived." Edward said.
"Ok. I'm going hunting." Jasper announced, "Then you can go."

Edward nodded his head, and picked the cell phone from his pocket, and dialed Maddy's number. She picked up after just a few rings. He was surprised to hear her voice cheerful and happy, instead of sad like he was expecting.

"What are you doing?" He ask softly.
"Watering roses with Esme and Alice. How is he?" She ask.
"He's doing alright. . . Are you sure you're okay?"
"I'm fine, Edward. Stronger than you'd think." Maddy said.
"I know you're strong. . . I just hate that I'm not there with you."
"You are though-- You're in my heart."

He smiled, "You know what I meant, baby."
She giggled, "I know. But I'm glad you're with my dad. It means so much to me. You have no idea."
"I have to keep him on my good side, hoping he'll give me his blessing one day."

Maddy flushed several shades of pink, and then sighed, "I love you."
"I love you too." He said.
"How much longer?" She ask.
"Just a day or so. I'm sure the first week will be difficult."
"Alice says no. She said once you explain that I know about it; he's going to want to control himself quickly."
"I hope that's the case."

They talked just a bit longer before Edward ended the phone conversation. He looked over at Maddy's father and shook his head. There was other bodies laying in the cabin with him-- but yet no newborns, or vampires around. Could that possibly mean they were out creating more?

He ran his fingers through his hair. If Chris was a vampire, then he knew Aaron was too. He just hoped that Aaron was too caught up in being a newborn to remember his feelings for Maddy. The last thing he needed was a revengeful newborn chasing after them.