Fatal Attraction

Aro

Image
Maddy sit in the Cullen living room as Carlisle talked to a man named Aro on the phone. She was biting onto her bottom lip nervously as Carlisle explained the situation in Pennsylvania. Alice rubbed her back, as he broke the news of Maddy to Aro. They hadn't told Edward the plan yet, because everyone thought he would over react. He didn't want any of the Volturi to know about Maddy, but Carlisle knew he couldn't hide it from Aro. If Aro happened to stop by and see that they had a human around, then she would be killed.

"The date is set-- We're actually waiting until she finishes high school. We didn't want her to just up and disappear." Carlisle said smoothly and with confidence. "Yes-- I believe the town is named West Chester. Thank you Aro."

Carlisle ended the phone conversation and sighed.

"What's the damage?" Alice ask.

Carlisle chuckled once, "No damage-- well, hopefully not. Jane, along with a few others are going to go take care of the problem in Pennsylvania."
"And what did Aro think about Maddy?"
"Of course he told me that this was dangerous-- But he trusted me. He said he would be checking in to make sure things stayed with the original plan."
"Oh, they will. I'm determined to change-- right after graduation if possible."

Carlisle sighed, "I'm glad we don't need to be scared of the Volturi any longer."
"Me too." Esme came walking into the kitchen with a pan of cookies.

Meanwhile Edward stood over Maddy's father's body as he listened to his heart slowly stop. The transformation was complete. He took in a long breath of air, and watched as he slowly opened his newly crimson eyes. Jasper was standing by the door, crouched down in a defensive position encase things took a turn for the worse.

"Chris. . ." Edward started.
"It burns!" He said, clutching onto his throat.
"It will-- I need to explain some things."

Chris, who could only thing about the burning in his throat, turned his attention to the male in front of him. He could recognize him as Maddy's boyfriend, but he really couldn't think about anything but the burning in his throat. What had happened to him? The last thing he remembered was stepping out of his vehicle when he spotted three people in the middle of the road. . . and then he gasped.

"Aaron was there." He stated darkly, "What happened to me?" He demanded from Edward.
"You're. . . a vampire." Edward said.
"A what?" Chris ask.
"A vampire-- I'm one myself, along with my brother. . ." Edward said, pointing to Jasper.

Chris looked mortified. Edward sighed, at least he wasn't outraged and completely out of control like most newborns.

"You need to hunt, and then we'll talk."
"Hunt?" Chris ask.
"Yes-- we feed off of animals."
"I thought vampires drank blood."
"My family feds off the blood of animals instead of humans. We consider yourself vegetarians."
"Does she know?" Chris ask.
"Maddy knows." Edward spoke softly.

Chris leaned up off the bed and nodded his head. Edward told him that once they hunted, then he would explain everything.

While Chris was feeding off an tiger, Edward took the opportunity to phone Maddy and let her know her father was awake.

"He's awake? How is he?"
"He's feeding. . . I've got a lot of explaining to do when we return back home."
"Tell him I love him, and I'll see him soon." Maddy said.

Edward cringed. He wouldn't allow her to see him soon. Not for at least a year.

"I'll phone back later tonight." Edward said.

They finished up their hunting trip and then returned back to the house. Jasper had a theory about Chris. He assumed that he was going to be a lot easier to control that a normal newborn. He believed this was a trait he carried over from his human life. He had worked as a police officer for so many years, served to protect. He wasn't going to throw that away now.

"Will the burning go away?" Chris ask, wrapping his hands around his throat.
"It'll become tolerable." Jasper said, "But never go away."
"Why did this happen?" He ask.
"Vampires are everywhere-- some aren't like us. Some are nomads, who travel place to place. Some are just vicious murderers. We think your creator picked the town of West Chester to start an army in."
"An army?"
"Newborns are strong in their first year. Strong and wild, almost unstoppable." Jasper explained.

They spent the next several hours explaining the history of vampires, their own stories, and the Cullen family history. Chris was surprised to find out how old Edward actually was.

"You're dating my seventeen year old daughter." Chris said.

Jasper laughed, and Edward nodded his head.

"That's kind of disturbing." Chris said honestly, "But at least you don't age. . . wait a second, do I age?"
"No, your aging has stopped."
"What about Maddy? Is she okay with all of this? Does she know about me?"
"She knows you're awake from your transformation." Edward said.
"I want to see her!"
"You can't. . . Not for awhile at least. . . You can't control yourself around humans."
"Nonsense! That's my daughter."
"I'm sorry, Chris."

Chris groaned angrily and leaned back into the sofa. "Does she. . . want to. . . be turned?" He ask.

He didn't know if this was a curse or not. He could see the benefits of external life, never aging, the strength, the speed. But he also didn't want his daughter to go through the painful three day transformation or the constant burning.

"She wishes to. . . after graduation." Edward said.
"And you're going to." Chris stated.

Edward sighed, "I don't want to. . . but I'm too selfish not to. I love her, and I want to spend the rest of my eternity with her."
"You know they'll be no stopping her." Chris said laughing, "We'll be lucky if she waits til graduation."

Edward was surprised by his words, for a newborn he was very aware of things.

"What do you mean?" Edward ask.
"You're not aging, and I'm not aging. She isn't going to sit around and get older. Her birthday is in three weeks." Chris said.
"We go back to school in a three weeks too."
"I'm telling you. . . she won't graduate." Chris said flatly.
"Maybe not with the class of 2010. . . But she'll have plenty of chances for graduation later." Jasper said.

Chris laughed, "That will be one thing she won't like. . . school over and over again."

Edward couldn't believe that her father was okay with this.

"You're ok with her becoming like this?" Edward ask.
"It's her choice. . . Plus, I guess I'm being a bit selfish too. I love Ava just as much as Maddy-- but Maddy and I have always had a connection. I couldn't live a day without her in my life." Chris said.

Edward smiled, "She has that affect on people. Don't she?"
"She does."

Edward sighed, "Would you like to talk to her?" He ask Chris.

Chris smiled, as Edward pulled a cell phone from his pocket.