Fatal Attraction

Dream Land

Image
Maddy was laying in her bed jotting down notes in her binder when her cell phone began ringing. She reached over and slowly picked it up, smiling when she saw Edward's number flashing on the screen. She wasn't expecting him to call so soon. She pressed the answer button, and then placed the phone by her ear.

"Hello?"
"Hi princess."

Maddy didn't know whether to drop the phone in shock, or to squeal out in excitement. She was hearing her father's voice; a voice she didn't think she'd be hearing for a long time. Tiny tears began to fall from her eyes as she collected herself.

"Dad." She whispered.
"I'm fine, Princess."
"You sure?"

He laughed, "I am. . . we'll just say I'm on a vacation for now." He said.

Maddy smiled, "You haven't killed my boyfriend have you?"
"He's still in one piece though he's looking delicious."
"Dad!"
"I'm kidding. I just wanted you to know I love you-- and I need you to be strong for your sister. I understand that she can't know about any of this."
"She's so young. . ." Maddy said softly.
"But your mom will take amazing care of her, and thankfully she has Mike as well. He's a good man."

Maddy wiped some stray tears from her eyes, "Are you sure you're okay?"
"Just a little burning in my throat, but I'll be fine. I'm actually looking forward to not aging. I was going a little Grey around the temples and it was killing me." Her father joked.

She smiled, her father had always been a jokster. She was just glad his fun loving personality had carried over into his new life. She chatted with him a bit longer before Edward took over the phone.

"See, he's fine." Edward said.
"I know. I miss you."
"I miss you too."
"When will you come home?"
"Still a few weeks."
"Carlisle phoned some man named Aro-- he knows about me." Maddy blurted out quickly, hoping Edward didn't hear her. She couldn't stand keeping things from him.
"WHAT?" He yelled.
"He had to-- he asked why you were in West Chester to begin with. If they lied, then Aro would know if he stopped by."

Edward groaned, "Are you sure everything is okay?"
"Positive. Carlisle told him the transformation was taking place after graduation."
He sighed, "Okay." Edward said.
"Edward."
"What?" He ask.
"I don't wanna wait that long."
"Maddy-- not now. Please, not now." He said, "Let us deal with your dad. School goes back in just a few short weeks."
"But Edward!"
"Baby, please. . ." He said.

She pouted, "Fine. But when you get home, You and I are talking about this."

He sighed, "We will talk when I get home-- But I really want you to wait until graduation." Edward said.
"But. . . I want to be near dad, be near you. I don't wanna be breakable! It's not fun being human."
"What about your experiences? I thought you wanted to do things before you weren't human anymore."
"There's only one thing I want to do, and I believe you know what that is."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes! You'll see." Maddy said innocently.

Edward groaned, "Get some sleep trouble maker. I'll phone you tomorrow morning."
"Take care of him."
"I will. Love you."
"Love you too Edward."

Maddy placed her cell phone on the night stand and then sighed. She didn't want to wait until graduation. She didn't even want to wait another day. She bit down on her bottom lip as she laid back in bed and thought about becoming a vampire. It seemed so perfect. Eternal life with Edward and her father. Never aging, strong, fast. Was there any downfalls? Besides feeding off poor innocent animals, Maddy couldn't find one downfall of the lifestyle.

She had never thought about becoming a mother, so she didn't know what she was missing. She had to admit that one day she had hoped to have a couple kids running around. But that was something she was willing to give up. After all, Esme had made due-- and so could she. As long as she had Edward and her father, then she could live without the rest.

She settled herself in bed, and pulled the covers up over her. She turned off the lamp, and then laid her head down on the pillow as she starred out the window. It was raining, and she was positive a thunderstorm was on the way due to the light howling of the thunder in the distance.

Watching the rain drip down her window made her eyelids feel heavy. They slowly closed, and she faded off into dream land.

She saw herself laying in the grass beside Edward, both of them sparkling under the sun. She had a bright glowing smile, and he had his crooked smile. Over in the corner was her father and Carlisle, both leaned up against a tree in deep conversation. Esme, Alice, and Jasper were walking around pointing to different flowers and admiring their beauty.

Rosalie and Emmett were playing with a small little boy. He had a full head of dark brown hair, and stunning green eyes. He was running around, trying to dodge Rosalie and Emmett who were laughing as they chased after him. He ran between Emmett's legs and towards Maddy and Edward, and then he squealed.

"Daddy!" He screamed, as he ran right into Edward's arms.

Maddy raised up out of the bed, sweat pouring from her. She took in a deep breath and realized it was just a dream.

She knew the dream could never become reality, and she frowned. The beautiful little boy in her dreams looked exactly like a equal mixture of her and Edward. She leaned back on the pillows and closed her eyes again, hoping she could pick up right where the dream had left off. She could never have it in reality, so she would settle for it in dream land.