Fatal Attraction

Distress

Image
Chris walked in and warned the family of Maddy's wishes, as she and Edward stood outside. He had his arm wrapped around her waist, and was leaned against her when he first heard the sound of the leaves rustling behind them. He turned around quickly, and got down in a defensive position.

"It's just me, leech." Jacob called from the bushes, and then stepped out in nothing but a pair of cut off jean shorts.

Maddy rolled her eyes and turned her nose up in disgust. "You smell awful, Jacob." She stated.
"Thanks, Maddy." He said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

Jacob was surprised that his opinion of her didn't change when she became a vampire. He still felt the need to look out for her and protect her. Even though now she was a newborn who was probably capable of taking care of herself.

Maddy smiled when she read Jacob's mind. He really didn't think of her as anything other than a sister now. It made her feel good about their relationship. She knew it must be hard for him to be this close to a family of vampires, but he was willing to do it-- to protect her.

"Did you catch their scent?" Edward ask.
"Yes and no. We caught them last night, but they faded quickly, At least four of them." Jacob said.
"We're going out in a bit to look again. . . I just wanted to make sure. . . she's okay." Jacob said pointing towards Maddy.
"I'm fine, Jacob-- Thank you." She said smiling.

Jacob was shocked by how nice she was being now.

"I'll come back when I hear something." Jacob stated.
"Thanks." Edward said, and they watched as he disappeared back into the forest.

Edward smiled down at her, "Told you. . . he honestly just wants to protect you."
"I know that now."

Chris appeared on the porch a minute later, "Okay, everyone is ready."

Maddy smiled at Edward, as he linked his hands with hers. She seemed to be doing alright now-- but he wasn't sure how well she would do around Mason. The only human she had been around had been Jacob-- and his blood smelled so horrible to them that they wouldn't even think about feeding off him.

Maddy walked into the living room, and over in the corner of the room was Rosalie, sitting in a old chair, holding a boy in her arms. He looked much older than a few days. He looked at least a month or so. Hovering over her was both Emmett and Jasper, ready to pounce.

"I'm fine." She reassured them.
"It's just precaution." Emmett assured her.
"She is fine." Edward said, walking forward with her.
"He's so big." She said.
"He grows quickly." Edward explained, "We've been doing research."

She walked forward and starred at the bright eyed baby. He was so beautiful, an equal mixture of herself and Edward wrapped inside one tiny little body. He giggled when she walked near him. Rosalie smiled, "He knows who you are." Rosalie whispered.

Maddy walked closer, and Jasper stepped forward.

"Jazz, she's fine." Edward said.

Jasper backed off a bit, and she stepped a bit forward again. What shocked everyone the most was how Mason pushed his arms forward, trying to reach for her. Maddy smiled.

"Are you two going to freak out if I try to hold him?" Maddy ask.

Emmett smiled softly, and Jasper just looked around scared.

"It's fine. . ." Edward said yet again.

Maddy stepped forward, and placed her arms out. Mason slowly pushed forward, and Maddy took him into her arms, cuddling him soft to her chest. Jasper hovered over her, making sure she wasn't getting too close.

"He's so warm." She said, "and he smells so good."

Jasper tensed up. She noticed his distress, "Not in that way, Jasper." She stated.

Maddy walked over to the couch and sit back into the comfortable cushions, still holding Mason close to her. She smiled as she leaned down and pressed her lips against his forehead.

'Sheww. She's not going to kill him.' Emmett though.

"Of course, I'm not going to kill him Emmett. . . He's my son." She said.

Emmett's mouth dropped, along with everyone else's.

"YOU read minds too?" Emmett ask.
"Yup." Maddy said with a grin.
"Great-- all we need is another Edward."
"Possibly two." She said pointing down to little Mason.
"Little family of mind readers." Jasper laughed.

Maddy was glad that she could control herself around Mason. She didn't know if it was because he was half vampire, or if it was because he was her son. She just knew that no matter how much it burned-- she would never hurt him. She was looking forward to mother hood.