Life Is Beautiful

013.

Rebecca looked at herself quickly in the mirror, checking her appearance for dinner. She was wearing a simple black pencil skirt and a white button up shirt with a pearl necklace extenuating the length of her neck.
Her lips were painted a dark shade of cranberry red, only for the special event tonight.
Frank would be having dinner with them for the first time and she wanted it to go smoothly and for it to be a good memory.
Her hair that was curled in perfect little ringlets and pinned away on the left side looked like absolute perfection.

“Okay Rebecca, don’t be nervous. It’ll be a nice, easy going dinner where there will be plenty to talk about. Don’t fluster yourself.” She spoke to herself quietly and looked in the mirror one last time before exiting the small bathroom.

The table had been set earlier by Rebecca and the food was prepared earlier as well.
They were having chicken and potatoes. The only thing available these days during the war.

Adalinda stood right next to the table with Rebecca right by her side.
David emerged from the room, balancing Frank Iero.
Frank’s hand was draped over David’s shoulder in order to stand up straight and walk.
Frank smiled a small smile to Adalinda and Rebecca.
They both returned it and Adalinda rushed to Frank’s side, pulling out a chair.
“Thank you.” Frank said gratefully to both of the adults as he sat in his chair and pushed himself in closer to the table.
They both nodded and David gave him a small tap on the shoulder.

Rebecca went straight to the counter to bring the food over and set it in the middle of the table, where there were candles lit and their best china for everyone to eat on.
“We’re having chicken and potatoes for dinner with coffee and sweet bread for dessert.” Rebecca said nicely to Frank and served his plate.
“That’s wonderful, thank you all so much for letting me have dinner with you all.” Frank beamed and smiled at the Straughtens.

“It’s our pleasure Frank.” David said as if it were no trouble at all and smiled at the young boy.

Adalinda kept quiet, due to her disadvantage of not knowing much English.
“Father, I didn’t know you spoke English.” Rebecca said as she poured some water in everyone’s glass.
David smiled up at Adalinda who was serving his plate and then smiled at Rebecca.
“I’ve been sneaking some looks at your textbook.” He winked.
Frank chuckled and felt happy to be around some a positive family.
Rebecca laughed a soft laugh and sat down in her chair once everyone was served.

They ate in silence for a few minutes until Frank spoke up. A subtle moan of satisfaction escaping his lips, “This food is really delicious Mrs. Straughten.” He smiled over at the quiet woman.
Rebecca translated for her mother and then replied to Frank with what her mother said.
“She says thank you and it wouldn’t have been as good without my help.” Rebecca blushed and looked down at her plate.
“Then thank you too both of you.” Frank replied back and smiled at the young girl.

“So Frank, what made you join the army at such a young age?” David spoke out and drank from his water.
Frank swallowed the bite of food in his mouth and wiped his mouth with his napkin before replying.
“My father was in the army so I felt like in order to make him proud I should serve too. My country needs me and I’m happy to serve them, even if I am just another wounded solider now.” His tone held everything, happiness, sadness, anger and disappointment.

“You’ll be out there in no time.” David nodded at him sending him an encouraging smile.
Frank smiled back and drank some of his water.
“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but why do you guys seem to be hiding in this small attic?”
Rebecca’s eyes widened and her fingers dropped her fork.
She quietly apologized and picked the off the floor.
“Rebecca, what did he ask?” Adalinda whispered to Rebecca.
Rebecca quietly whispered back the translation and Adalinda also froze.

David folded his hands over the table and looked at Frank.
“Frank, what do you know about Nazis?” David asked bluntly, keeping his eyes locked on Franks.
Frank thought for a second before replying, “All I know is that they discriminate against Jewish people in Europe.”
David smiled sadly and nodded his head.
“Yes and we’re Jewish.”
Frank’s eyes widened and his lips parted into a shape of an O.
David placed his arms on the table and leaned more towards Frank continued, “Since the War has started life for the Jewish people of Europe has been growing worse and worse. Jewish people are being sent to concentration camps where they do labor jobs and work for the Nazi’s. We hide here because we don’t want to a part of that. We risk our lives and the life of the Henry’s who own this house every second of the day.”

Frank couldn’t process what David had said.
“But what about escaping to America or Asia or Mexico?” Frank asked.
“Impossible. No one wants to be responsible for us.” David said simply and leaned back in his chair, folding his hands back in his lap.

Rebecca and Adalinda stayed quiet. Rebecca didn’t know what to say and Adalinda didn’t know what they were saying.
“I’m sorry.” Frank mumbled out, his brain tired from all the information he was processing.
“It’s quite alright. It’s not your fault. But we do need you to understand something.”
Frank nodded urging him to go on.
“If we get caught, you die too.”

Frank and Rebecca’s hear stopped, both of their palms immediately sweating.
But it was Frank who spoke up first.
“I understand. But I wish to say as long as possible if that’s alright.”
David smiled kindly and spoke, “Of course.”

Rebecca regained her composure and stood up.
“So, would anyone care for dessert?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Guess what guys? I was banned for a whole month -_- I'm serious! I swear this whole new Mibba thing is starting to get really confusing. But I'm guessing I fixed my ban? I'm unbanned now...I think... I'm sooo sorry. I was updating exactly a month ago & when I clicked add chapter it said "you have been banned from Mibba for not following our guidelines." I went from :O to D:< I hope you guys aren't too mad...:S
Hopefully you don't think this chapter is shit.

Again, I sincerely apologize :(