Life Is Beautiful

015.

A loud and abrupt bang woke up every single one of the Straughten’s in the attic and Frank.
Loud voices were heard downstairs and it appeared to be men shouting in German.
Rebecca shot up in bed and looked frantically over at Frank.
His face was frantic as well and it was obvious both of them didn’t know what was going on.
Her heart was pounding and her palms were sweating, her body hot with fear.
David and Adalinda rushed into the room of Rebecca and Frank quietly and looked wearily over at them.
“Daddy!” Rebecca whispered a frightened edge to her voice.
He put his finger to his lips, signalizing for her and everyone else to be quiet.
Adalinda held tightly onto David’s hand, both of them against the wall.

Frank looked over at every one else’s face frantically, his own heart and body heated up with strict fear.
Even though he had done nothing wrong, if someone was here to catch them, he would be killed too.

The shouting continued but no one could make out what they were saying.
A few more minutes past by and the shouting had stopped.
Loud steps were heard coming towards them and soon the pull down stairs dropped.
Peter Henry ran up the stairs and rushed over to where Rebecca, her family and Frank were waiting in fear for the news of what was happening.
“England attacked! England has bombed out half of the German soldiers in Poland!” He shouted, victoriously, his happiness and excitement radiating through the whole room.
Mrs. Henry ran up the stairs seconds later, the same happiness radiating from her.

It took a while for the Straughten’s to process what was happening.
When they realized the great news wide grins broke out on all their faces and they jumped up, immediately hugging every person in the room.
Kisses on the cheek and forehead were passed all around.
Frank sat there dumbfounded, not knowing what Peter had said and not knowing why they all were cheering.
Is the war over? He thought to himself, a new hope growing inside.
Rebecca turned over to look at Frank and her eyes widened, realizing he didn’t know what Peter had said.
“England attacked the Germans! Half are gone in Poland!” Rebecca told Frank, tears forming in her eyes from happiness and her breathing was rapid from excitement.
Frank jumped out of bed despite the small pain in his side and howled with victory.
He grabbed Rebecca and enveloped her in a tight hug, his head resting on hers and a broad smile on his face.

Surprised at his sudden action Rebecca’s mouth was slightly open and her arms were still at her side.
But quickly afraid it wouldn’t last very long, she hugged Frank back.
Letting go of each other Frank looked into Rebecca’s eyes and spoke, the warm feeling coming from his voice.
His hands were placed on both sides of her cheeks.
“See? This will all end soon, I promise you.”
She looked up at him, sighing in relief and nodding her head, leaning her head deeper into Frank’s hand subconsciously.

But Adalinda interrupted their small affectionate motion towards each other and hugged Frank, kissing his forehead and smiling down at him.
He smiled back and hugged David who was waiting to hug him.
Happiness was in the air and they all hoped it would last.

-

Adalinda was napping peacefully in her room whilst David did some paperwork in the dining room.
Rebecca sat in the room she shared with Frank and wrote a letter to her best friend, although she knew she couldn’t send it she had to get her feelings out.

Her pen scratched against the paper as she wrote feverishly.

Dear Hannah,
I needed to talk to you, so I thought why not send a letter to my lovely best friend. Although I know I cannot send this until after the war, if there is anything left after it that is. Wait, forget I said such a cruel thing. I would throw away this sheet of paper and start a new letter if I could, but because of this ignorant war I must save as many things as I can. To put it simply, I miss you deeply. How are you? How am I you ask? I’m getting better and more comfortable being here in the Henry’s attic. Everything seems normal at times but every time I lay in bed at night trying to fall asleep the utter sadness creeps into me again and reminds me of the horrible situation we are in. I hope you’re alright, where ever you are.
But I have such big news to tell you! We have taken a soldier into custody. He’s American and Mr. Henry found him hiding in the streets, wounded from a bullet in his side. His name is Frank Iero and he is the most interesting boy I have ever met in my life. It may seem hypocritical that I say that now because as you know I have never paid attention to boys no matter what they had to offer. But he’s not necessarily a young boy. He’s seventeen and serving in the war. Well not anymore. But can you believe that? Such young men fighting in the most awful war imaginable.

He only speaks English so I use our English text book to talk to him. Father has also learned English for Frank. We talk about everything and anything whenever we have time to ourselves and don’t my parents peering over their shoulders at us. We don’t do anything wrong we just sit and talk about what’s going on in the world.
He asked about you today. He asked, “So who is that girl?” He pointed at the picture of you and I on my bedside table. I told him everything about you. He thinks you’re especially wonderful.

Today England advanced on the Germans in Poland. It gives us hope knowing things are going wrong for the Germans and they lose every advantage they have in the war. Excuse my excitement and happiness for the fact that half of the Germans are dead. It’s mean to think of such things but it just happens. Frank hugged me today. I’m sorry if that’s off topic Hannah. But it felt nice when he held me. A weird feeling settled in my stomach, almost like anxiety. Is it safe to say I might have some sort of romantic feelings towards him? Don’t tell anyone! It’s a secret between you and I.

To be honest he’s sitting right across from me at the moment, completely minding his own business. I would be completely red with embarrassment if he knew what I am writing. I’m starting to wonder if it’s a bad thing to kiss a boy two years older than you. Don’t get suspicious now Hannah, I’m not saying I want to kiss him. I can already tell what you’re going to say, so I’ll just respond as if you said it. I’m not going to kiss him. Simple as that.

Well I better get going, lunch time is soon. I’ll see you soon my dear friend. I miss you and love you deeply. Tell your family I say hello and that I love them as well.
Much love,
Rebecca.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it's short.