Life Is Beautiful

017.

Time had been going by quickly in the Straughten’s small attic they called their home for the meantime.
Rebecca and her mother had patched things up and resolved their differences.
Three months had passed and Adalinda and David had decided to keep the child even if it was dangerous.
Frank had recovered and decided to stick it out with the Straughten’s for a while.
Frank and Rebecca’s small feelings for each other were growing each and every day.
Though they didn’t admit it to anyone, not even themselves.

A light breeze came through Rebecca and Frank’s room, from the open window.
No one could see both of them sitting on the floor talking to each other.
Spring had come and Rebecca was dying to go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.
They all missed the sunshine and the smell of fresh air.
But it was especially Rebecca who regretted taking it for granted.

“What are you going to do once you get out of here?” Frank asked, smiling and drawing a picture on the floor with his fingers.
Rebecca smiled and drew an invisible picture with him.
“I’m going to go back to school as far as I know. If I get lucky I might just travel the world.”
“What for?” Frank asked, even more intrigued in their conversation now.
She smiled down at the floor, “To take pictures. I like capturing memories on film so I can keep them forever.”
Frank smiled and crossed his legs, sitting up and looking at Rebecca more thoroughly.
“You’re older than you look.”
“What?”
“I mean, you’re like my age mentally but you’re barely fifteen.”

Rebecca smiled and shrugged, “I suppose. But I’ll be sixteen in just a few short weeks.”
“Really? When?”
“April seventeenth.”
“Well then remind me to get you a present.” Frank grinned flirtatiously.
Rebecca blushed and looked down.

A few seconds of silence passed.

“Do you have a girlfriend Frank?” She asked, keeping her gaze still on the floor.
He was surprised at her question but answered it nonetheless.
“Not anymore. I broke it off when I joined the army.”
“Oh.” She nodded and looked towards the window.
“What about you?” He asked.
She laughed lightly and shook her head, “No. I’ve never really cared for having one.”
“Oh, that’s good I guess.”

She was confused by his response but ignored it and stood up.
“Where are you going?” He asked, looking up.
“I’m not sure, but I hope it’s somewhere fun.”
He furrowed his eyebrows and stared at her, “What?”
She laughed.
“I don’t know where I’m going, I just want to get out of here.”

“How about you and I go somewhere together? Let’s just pretend we’re on the coast of New Jersey right now, by ourselves, it’s a beautiful day and everything’s at peace.” He said, standing up and inching closer to her.
She looked into his eyes and replied quietly, “I’d go anywhere with you.”
He smiled and twirled a strand of her curly, black hair in his fingers.
“That’s the answer I was hoping for.”
She didn’t know what was happening.
But when she felt him leaning into her face, she obliged and leaned in.
Her lips felt something soft and warm and then she realized they were his lips.
It was the first real feeling of hope she had since she’d met Frank.
All it took was a little kiss.
But it was her first.
And it was perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
>_<
Took too long to get out, so I apologize.
It takes me longer to update this story because it's so much more sensitive and sincere from my other fictions.
I try really hard to make you guys enjoy it.
So I'm sorry if this chapter's a pile of poo.