Life Is Beautiful

019.

Rebecca’s enchanting laugh filled the entire room and she dropped her fork, laughing to hard to hold anything.
She managed to speak through her fit of giggles.
“That’s a very good joke Frank.”

He smiled and drank some of his water.
“Its nice to know you think it’s funny.”
She sighed contently and smiled up at him.
“Where’d you get it from?”
“One of the soldiers I was partnered up with for a while is Hispanic, so he told me the joke and I of course thought it was hilarious.”
“They must be nice.” Rebecca smiled and took the last bite of food she had.
Frank tilted his head.
“The soldiers I mean, they sound lovely.” She laughed.

“Oh,” he nodded, “Yeah they’re really fun to be around. I haven’t seen Ray since we landed in Germany. Everyone got separated.” His tone had changed, it became slightly depressing.
“I take it Ray’s the one with the joke?”
Frank nodded and smiled down at his food.
“I bet you miss them and they miss you.”
He laughed through his nose and thought about the good times he had during the boring parts of war with his mates.
“What about your friends? I bet they wonder where you are too.” Frank spoke, trying to move the conversation more towards her.
She sighed and weakly smiled, her shoulders slightly slumping down.
“Most of my friends are Jewish; we both know where they are now.”
That sentence had taken the conversation down a dark path.

“They’re fine Rebecca. I’m sure they’re handling themselves really well.” Frank said trying to lift the mood.
She sniffed and stood up, placing her plate in the sink.
“No, it’s fine.” Frank protested when she reached over to take his plate.
Instead he took it to the sink himself and rinsed it, washing the food off of it.

“Do you think God knows what to do?” Rebecca asked, looking over to the ground.
She was leaned against the counter her hands folded.
“I suppose, I mean he’s God right?” Frank said, drying off his hands.
“That’s the thing I’m worried about. Does he really know what’s going on? Shouldn’t he be helping us?” She asked restlessly and sat herself down on the chair nearest her.

“There’s many people in danger all over the world, many people die every single day. I think, God is showing us that life isn’t easy. He’s letting us fight for ourselves to prove ourselves you know? Almost like this is our fight, not his.”
She sighed, obviously distressed and played with the stands of her hair.

He smiled weakly and put his finger under her chin, slowly lifting her face up to level with his.
“Everything’s going to be okay.” He leaned up and kissed her forehead slowly, letting his lips linger.
She felt her pulse freeze and her breathing stop.
It was like an electrocution whenever he touched her, no matter in what way.
“I’m glad you’re here with me. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” She whispered and closed her eyes, leaning her forehead into his.
“I’m here forever.” He said serenely and kissed her forehead again.

David folded his arms over his chest and cleared his throat, intentionally separating Frank and Rebecca.
Both hesitantly looked over at David, Frank visibly gulping but Rebecca’s eyes were wide in fear.
“Rebecca, may I talk to you in my room please?” David asked calmly.
Rebecca nodded, her lips in a tight line and she carefully got out of her seat without coming in contact with any part of Frank’s body.
She walked quickly over to her father.
David eyed Frank once Rebecca had gone inside his room.
He finished off with a smile and followed Rebecca inside.
Frank stood completely still, completely confused.

-

Rebecca sat at the foot of her parent’s bed, her gaze on the floor.
“Rebecca, I don’t think it’s such a good idea getting that boy’s hopes up.” David spoke, shaking his head and looking down at his daughter.
She looked up and furrowed her eyebrows, “What are you talking about?”
He sighed and sat down next to her, placing his hand on her knee.
“We don’t know what’s going to happen…” He trailed off, not wanting to say what he was supposed too.
“Are you implying that we’re going to be caught up here?” She whispered, her eyes widening in fear and astonishment.
“No, I’m not implying anything. But we don’t even know how long this young man’s going to stay. He has a duty to his country.” He said, trying to keep his voice down and soft enough to avoid hurting Rebecca’s feelings.
“So what are you saying?” Rebecca asked, turning towards her mother who hadn’t said a word and just kept her head down.
“We know you fancy each other but we think it’s best neither of you get involved in that way with each other. It’s what’s best for all of us.” David said, rubbing Rebecca’s knee in a comforting way.
Rebecca didn’t care though, she stood up and stood her ground.
“I don’t care. I don’t care what’s best. He makes me forget about everything that’s going wrong. Can’t you see that?” She said, disbelieving what they thought was best.
Her head was clouded with the thought of Frank going back to risk his life for a War his country hadn’t belonged in.

“We know Rebecca. But you’re going to have to listen to us.” David said sternly, grabbing his wife’s hand as a sign of unity.
“And what if I don’t?” Rebecca asked, the angst pouring from her words and the resistance clear with her hand on her hip.
“Then you’ll see what happens young lady.” David said easily and made complete eye contact with his daughter.
She narrowed her eyes but turned and placed her hand on the doorknob.
But no words came from her and she walked away to her room where Frank was waiting.
He stood up when he she walked through the door.
Her eyes were on the ground and she went straight to her bed.
She lied down on her side, her back facing Frank.
He still stood, confused at the silence between him and he mumbled.
“Rebecca?”
Her response wasn’t a word, just a quiet muffled sniffle.
But that was enough for him, he walked over and leaned over her, moving her hair that had fallen in her face.
“What’s wrong?” He asked softly, rubbing her cheek.
She sniffled again and lied down on her back, looking up at Frank.

“My parents don’t think we’re such a good idea.” She said, wiping away the stray tears.
“What do you mean?” He asked his mind spinning.
“It means we can’t like each other Frank.” She said sitting up and turning around so her legs dangled from the bed.
“You really think that’s possible?” He asked, chuckling and confusing Rebecca.
She looked at him confused, asking what he meant with her eyes.
“Do you think I can stop liking you? I’m sorry but I can’t.”
She inwardly gasped and he spoke up again.
“I know that’s not what your parents want to hear but I can’t help it. I want you.” He whispered, rubbing his nose against hers.
She closed her eyes and bit her lip, fighting back the urge to kiss him.
“I know you want me too.” He whispered back but instead of confidence it was more of a soft pleading for him to make sure.
“I need you.” She managed to whisper out and opened her eyes, looking up into his.
“Stay, please.” She rubbed her fingertips on his cheek and looked into his eyes.
He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch, breathing in and out peacefully.
He kissed her forehead and whispered against it, “I’m not leaving.”

She lied back down on her bed and Frank slid under the blankets with her, holding her hand gently and rubbing his thumb on her hand.
They didn’t need to tell each other goodnight.
The comfort of each other’s presence was all they needed to fall asleep.

-
It seemed as if the sun shined strongly on both Rebecca and Frank through the tiny window of their room just to wake them up.
Rebecca turned over and faced Frank, her cheek resting on her hands and a smile on her lips.
The words good morning were going to come out of her mouth but the loud, wailing sirens outside stopped her.
Her heart froze and her blood ran cold when she heard the siren.
No one was attacking.
It was the siren for the Getstapo.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back from my long hiatus. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, really. I'm going through a rough time with things so my updates may not be the best nor quickest. But I'm trying really hard. I hope you guys haven't lost hope in this story.

Thank you so much.