Life Is Beautiful

025.

Rebecca's eyes were set on the ship a few miles deep into the ocean, ascending the shore.
Please God, if you're still here, please let this work. She thought to herself.
In a matter of minutes, she would be aboard the supply ship, smuggled somewhere deep inside to pass through the Ocean, hopefully without harm and get right into England where she would stay until the War was hopefully over.

Getting on that ship meant she would be leaving Frank for as long as they both didn't know. The mere thought of being on her own completely, scared the living day lights out of her. Her heart was clamoring against her chest and her body was tensing with panic and nausea.

She turned to catch a glance at Frank who was leaned over a small table with a few soldiers around him, planning around a map.
She sighed sadly, looking down at the sand beneath her feet and closed her eyes briefly, taking a few deep breaths.

"Rebecca..." Alex spoke up behind her, keeping his voice soft to keep her on ease. She turned quickly, opening her eyes.
He held his arms out that were holding supplies for her trip. A small blanket, a used coat from a passed solider and some dehydrated food. "It's not much," he smiled sadly, "but I got what I could."

She shook her head and took the things in her small arms with a smile, "No, its perfect. Thank you Alex."
He smiled back weakly and took a good last look at the young girl in front of him.
How cruel the world was, to put this young girl who barely knew a thing in such pain, he thought.

Frank caught sight of both of them talking and excused himself from his small meeting. His footsteps sunk into the sand as he walked. "What's going on?"
Alex and Rebecca looked over at him and Rebecca spoke up, "Alex gave me things for my trip."

He felt the lump rise in his throat at the word trip. He hoped, prayed, wished and crossed his fingers that it would work out and she would be out of the fallen country and into the haven of England as soon as possible.

Frank smiled thankfully over at Alex, "Thank you."
Alex shook his head softly and shrugged, "Just doing the best that I can. But, the ship will sound out life boats soon..."
He didn't need to go on, Frank knew what he meant and he nodded. Alex left Rebecca and Frank alone, heading over to find others he could help.

Frank smiled down at Rebecca, his eyes not quite shining with happiness, but more with worry and a hint of sadness.
Rebecca smiled back weakly.
"It'll work, I promise." Frank spoke up, breaking the silence and reassuring her with a promise he wasn't sure he could keep.
She nodded back softly, letting her eyes travel to her feet.

Frank placed a finger under her chin and softly lifted it up. His green eyes met her blue ones right in the middle. "Promise you'll write me?"
"Yes."

He swallowed thickly, "I'll fight for you as hard as I can. I owe my life to your family."
Her eyes glistened with tears and pulled at Frank's heart strings. "Be careful."
A small smile graced his lips, "I'm Frank Iero, I'm always careful."
She didn't smile back, not in the mood for jokes, her stubbornness showing through her eyes.

Frank laughed lightly and looked back up to her eyes. She knew the tears were threatening to spill, she could hear the boats getting closer to the shore and the goodbye she had to say was itching at the back of her throat.

"Please say you'll miss me," Frank's voice cracked, his own eyes were brimmed with tears, "even if you won't mean it. I need to hear it."
Rebecca's eyes widened and she grabbed his hand, entwining their fingers together, "I miss you Frank. I mean it." Her German accent was thick, and filled Frank's ears. He smiled weakly, knowing this was the last time he would hear that lovely accent.

"Don't lose yourself..." Rebecca whispered, the tears spilling over and running down her cheeks. "Don't become one of them."
Frank's eyes widened and his mouth popped open slightly. "No, no. I won't change. I'll never be one of them." He felt his own tears fall hot against his cheeks and he knew his lips were quivering.

The soldiers behind them had gathered quietly to watch the small goodbye between Frank and the young girl who had saved him. They all felt the pang of sadness in their chests, watching two young people having to go through heartbreak through the cruel era the world was going through.
Alex saw the boats land on shore and he hurried over to Frank, his own chest filling with pressure.

He spoke softly, interrupting the moment Frank and Rebecca were holding. "Frank, the boats are here. She has to go."
Frank merely nodded and looked back at Rebecca who let out a small sob but still kept her head up.

"Come on," Frank's grip on her hand tightened and he pulled her over to the boat. A few civilians had already climbed aboard and the injured soldiers who couldn't handle another day of battle.

Frank grabbed the coat and blanket Rebecca held in her hands and quickly put the coat on her and afterwards draping the blanket across her shoulders.
He took a deep breath before looking down at her. "You will keep me alive. I won't stop until I see you again."
Her lips quivered and her vision blurred from the rush of tears but she still spoke up, "Be careful Frank."

He pulled her into a tight hug, ignoring the small call from Alex and held her closely, his mouth next to her ear. "I'll see you soon."
She buried her face in the crook of his neck, breathing in his natural scent and taking in his voice for the last time. "I will see you soon."
He placed a small kiss on her forehead, letting his lips linger for a few seconds.

He let her go and helped her onto the boat, his hand still gripping tightly onto hers. As soon as she was on, the boat was pushed back into the Ocean, Frank helping but still keeping his fingers entwined with hers.
He only made it out a few feet until he was forced to let go.

She waved goodbye, her head high and her eyes shining even a few feet away from Frank. She knew it would be a long time before she heard his voice or felt the warmth of his body next to hers. She only hoped it would be sooner than she expected.
Frank waved back, feeling his heart drop in his chest and break.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so bad at updating this. Only a few chapters left though. Please enjoy! Leave me your thoughts?