Life Is Beautiful

026.

"Just one more, please!"

"Pretty please Rebecca!"

Rebecca giggled at the group of orphans surrounding her and pleading for her to tell them another story.

"It's already lights out children, you know that." She smiled and walked over to tuck each of them in bed.

Her heart swelled with happiness and sadness each time she saw the children. She was put into an orphanage for her own protection as soon as she arrived in England. Being fifteen and the oldest girl by far, she looked after the other children. They made everything better each passing day. She had grown close to them, telling them stories every night that her father and mother had read to her when she was a child. They were so young and she felt a pang of sadness when she realized how naive they were when it came to the world. They knew there was a war going on against the Nazi's but they didn't know how far and bad it had gotten. She'd only been there for about three months but she saw each day as a blessing that she wasn't trapped in Germany's hell.

However her heart still ached whenever she thought of her parents, the two people she'd lost and didn't know if she would ever get back. The nuns in the orphanage didn't discriminate against Rebecca because she was Jewish, they welcomed her with open arms. The nuns would discuss the war with Rebecca, she was the only one other than them who could understand what was going on.

She told them her story and what she had been going through for the past two years in Germany's reign. She told them how the rumors were true, she wasn't allowed to walk on the side walk or own a bike or even attend the same school as her childhood friends. But the nuns confirmed other rumors for Rebecca as well. The gas chambers were true, they would put living Jews in there and gas them until they died.

Rebecca couldn't believe it. People who shared the same religion and culture as her were being killed, young children, mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters, they were all suffering at the hands of the Nazi's and things were getting worse.

No one in the orphanage knew that she silently cried herself to sleep every night, just thinking of her parents. Her pregnant mother subjected to those disgusting and cruel work camps and being separated from her father. Questioning God was almost an obligation these days. She was happy to be safe but she would trade spots with her mother and father just to keep both of them safe.

She kissed each of the children's heads, smiling when they murmured a goodnight to her in their adorable British accents. Walking over to her small cot she sighed and laid down under the covers. It had been weeks since Frank had written back. She constantly wrote him letters, letting him know she was safe and doing alright. He however kept her updated with the war and the allies. He promised her he would stay safe but deep down she knew his chances of getting out alive were slim.

Her eyes watered over and she tightly closed her eyes, keeping her cries in her throat. She didn't want to worry the kids or frighten them. But a small hand on her back made her gasp and turn over quickly.

Amanda, a six year old girl stood at the side of Rebecca's cot with wide eyes and a frown.

"Amanda, what's going on?" Rebecca quickly asked, roughly wiping away the tears that escaped and sniffled.

"Are you okay? Why are you crying?" She asked in her tiny voice.

Rebecca forced a weak smile, "I wasn't crying Amanda, my eyes were just agitated." Her english had gotten better, ironically around the British but her accent was still thick and the children loved it.

"I can't sleep." Amanda frowned and wiped her tired eyes with her small fist.

Rebecca pushed the covers open for Amanda to climb in and scooted over. The little girl laid down beside her and sucked on her thumb.

"Want me to tell you a story?" Rebecca whispered.

She nodded and scooted closer. Rebecca smiled and sighed softly before starting.

"Once upon a time there was a girl living in a far away country. Her country was once good but a bad man took over and everything turned upside down for her." She didn't want to scare Amanda, so she worded everything carefully. "Her parents were forced to go on a trip to work for the bad man, leaving the little girl alone with a soldier they had rescued."

"Was it a good or bad soldier?" Amanda interrupted, taking her thumb out of her mouth for a split second.

"A good soldier," Rebecca smiled at the image of Frank in her mind. "The good soldier told Rebecca he could get her away from the mean man and take her to a good place. The girl didn't believe him but she trusted him." Amanda's eyes were starting to grow heavy and her breathing started to soften.

"One night the soldier took the girl to a boat that would take her to a good place that could keep her safe. Her heart broke when he told her he couldn't go with her."

"Why not?" Amanda asked tiredly.

"He had to stay back, be brave and win the war. But once she got to the new country, her life started to change. She met funny little kids and people with good hearts and welcoming arms. And the kids started to piece her heart back together."

"She sounds like you," Amanda whispered and sucked on her thumb.

Rebecca's eyes watered and she shook her head. "It's an old friend of mine."

Amanda hummed, "I hope she's okay. Everyone deserves love, right?"

Rebecca couldn't stop the tears from coming out and she nodded. "Yes Amanda, everyone deserves love."

Amanda's breathing steadied and Rebecca knew she had fallen asleep. She stood up cradled the girl in her arms and gently placed her back in her own cot. She leaned down and kissed her forehead. Looking down at Amanda's young face made Rebecca's heart urge for the war to be over. If not for her, for the innocent kids growing up amidst all the chaos and war.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, I haven't updated this in so long. I apologize. I lost my mojo. But I would appreciate it if you guys left me some thoughts or comments. Thanks for reading and being patient. xx