Life Is Beautiful

009 .

Rebecca's eyes shot open as she felt the ground beneath her and the whole house shake. The bombs and gunshots outside were terribly loud and she heard her ears ringing. The German sirens had gone off to warn civilians of the attack.
Across the room Frank had shot out of bed and limped towards the window holding his arms steady, trying to balance himself. Rebecca's mind was going completely crazy, and she couldn't even hear her own thoughts, or her loud sobs as she covered her ears. She was panicking and found it hard to breathe. She quickly remembered about her parents and ran out of her room, falling in the process.
David Straughten was holding his hysterically sobbing wife and comforting her. He caught his daughter just as she shot into his arms and tried to calm her down as well.
"Daddy," she sobbed, "Make it stop! Please daddy!" She held tightly onto her mother at her side and grasped onto her fathers arm.
"Shh, its just the allies. They're here to help us. Don't worry, they won't hurt us." He said as calmly as possible and rubbed her back, wiping away her tears.
"David! I can't take it!" Her mother sobbed and shouted hysterically.
He felt the tension of both of them and tried to keep his composure.

Outside more and more bombs were being dropped on Germany and more Nazi's were falling dead on the streets than keeping alive. Everything was chaotic down there as Frank watched from the window. He silently prayed for his comrades out there fighting the battle of their country.
I should be out there! I should be the one holding that damn gun and shooting these bastards down! He thought to himself and punched the wall.
He shoved his face in his hands and for the first time felt some kind of raw emotion.
He started crying. Crying for his country, crying for his friends dying in the war, and crying for the Jewish girl and her family in the other room. Everything was going wrong in the world, and he hated it. Americans were suffering, along with the other countries fighting in the war. Frank knew the Straughtens were suffering as well, but he didn't understand why they were hiding.
He came to the conclusion that it was safer for the family to hide from the war and keep safe. But he wasn't sure.
He heard a hysterical cry from the other room and forced his body to go as fast as possible to the other room. He limped and touched the wall for support, his face wincing in pain. He heard the cries coming from a woman, but he didn't know if it was Rebecca or her mother.
The thought of Rebecca suffering even more than she already was gave Frank the push to get to the room as quickly as possible.
Another bomb was dropped and the house shook, feeling as if it were about to collapse.
"Dear God help me." He whispered to himself and reached the open doorway of the second room.
He faced the Straughten held tightly together on a small bed, Rebecca's dace buried deep into her fathers chest.

If it were possible for the sirens to get any louder they did and Frank tried to cover the sound with his hands tightly pressed against his ears.
David Straughten turned and saw the young soldier standing in the doorway, wincing and covering his ears while trying to keep balance.
"Rebecca, whats the soldiers name?" He looked down towards Rebecca as she lifted her face.
She looked at her father, confusion sweeping through her. Why was Frank's name relevant to what was happening?

But then she remembered she had left him alone in their room and panic struck her even harder.
"Oh no! Frank! I left him! I have to go get him!" She shouted, pulling away from her parents but her mother wouldn't loosen her grip on her.
"Frank!" Mr. Straughten shouted, and Frank looked over at David Straughten. Just as they made eye-contact another bomb hit, sending Frank to the floor.
David Straughten gasped and released his wife and daughter to go help Frank.
"David no!" Adalinda Straughten shouted, extending her arms to pull him back but was too late. He had moved towards Frank quickly and placed Franks arm over his shoulder, pulling him up.
Rebecca watched her father bring Frank over to the bed and relief washed through her. He wasn't hurt, and he was with them now.
The household was together now, holding each other tightly while the rest of the bombs slowly died down leaving destruction in Germany.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to make this dramatic, but unfortunately my writing skills are horrible, so it came out stupid. D;