Emerald Love

Chapter 1

It wasn’t love at first sight. The first impression he got of her wasn’t flattering at all. She appeared to be one of those know-it-alls, a quality he never honestly admired. Those flirty, cheerful girls were revolting to him, but someone pompous wasn’t really what he was looking for either.

Even though the first glimpse he got was enough to forget about her the next second, she appeared to have one rather captivating aspect. Her green, emerald eyes were the high-points of her face, like colourful fireworks in a dark night. He wasn’t someone who could admire his own features or brag about them easily, but the fact that the other students didn’t acknowledge his certain genius merely proved how ostentatious they all were. A tall and skinny figure for an eleven year old, accompanied by an extremely pale skin wasn’t something other girls would giggle about. He wasn’t appreciated by the boys either and was occasionally mocked because of his dark, greasy hair. The crooked nose just added an extra frightening touch to his already strange and mysterious sight. With reasons like that, he spent most of his time alone, reading and pitying the miserable creatures that surrounded him.

But quickly evenings became days, days became months and months became years, and as soon as you had turned around, boys became teenagers, teenagers became men. At least that’s what they though of themselves. He couldn’t stand the sight of those hormone- raging fools. Hogwarts isn’t going to send a pack of talented wizards into the world this year, just a bunch of worthless brats.

His nocturnal appearance grew even darker and he became even more reserved than before, completely ignoring the other students. Everyone except her. Her magnificent eyes were so captivating that he couldn’t push them out of his mind. Every second they floated into his thoughts followed by a warm, but spiky feeling. Was it really worth it? He started to nurture himself into a new, but obvious feeling that he knew would only end in rejection and embarrassment. Was it really worth it, because of her?

The first half of his last year at Hogwarts was soon coming to an end. The repulsive sense of Christmas in the air didn’t seem so bad anymore and he was actually looking forward on spending the holidays at school. The paucity of noisy wizards produced a comfortable feeling of silence that gave him a will to spend the morning on the school grounds, enjoying the fresh, icy snow. Accompanied by another dusty book, he marched his way through the hallways, cutting the air behind him with a heavy, black winter coat. The annual Christmas tree caught his interest and the flashing lights felt hypnotizing. How tacky. Suddenly, he turned around rushing forwards, but was stopped by something soft in front of him. He early stepped back, but in the whole confusion dropped his book. It hollowly banged on the stone floor and the numb sound scattered through the empty hall. He soon realized what happened as the thing he cherished the most appeared in front of him. His eyes bulged a bit and carefully followed her every move. He seemed like a little boy, eagerly watching a magnificent toy. Her long, elegant fingers slowly pressed the dusty cover of his book (which he was now utterly ashamed of) and her face had shown itself, gracefully peering through the soft hair he so unexpectedly bumped into. She was providing him the book and still amazed, he took it.

"S…Severus", she innocently stammered.
"Lily…Thank you", he said as warm as he could, still under the heavy impression she gave him.

He slightly put his head up and took a long look at her. She was the most beautiful thing he ever saw. He absorbed every scent of her body and in the end, their eyes finally met. The wonderful pleasure lasted barely a second, but it let the so long trapped feeling get over him.

It was love.