‹ Prequel: Shock Factor

Inbetween

Inbetween

Nickey had broken up with her boyfriend and had a short-lived fling with Tré Cool. He was gone and Dookie wanted her to leave town with him. Another town, another life…

Dookie and Nickey threw their cases in the truck of the battered old car. Even between them, they didn’t own much. The car belonged to Dookie, and even though it didn’t have legs, it was on its last.

The only reason that Dookie was so keen to leave things behind and start again with Nickey was that Kaleidoscope wasn’t a very substantial person. He hadn’t known her very long, not much longer than he’d known Nickey. She moved around a lot, and she had been the one to tell him to go. She was going again, anyway.

So they drove to another town, and checked in at a homeless hostel. They were having a new start, back with their real names. The got a twin room, and Dookie, whose name turns out to be Shaun, admitted that he fancied her.

A month later the couple were looking for a flat. Nickey was buying plain tee shirts, the designs she made were selling. So they managed to get a flat above an old shop. Things were actually going well. Shaun got a job, a girl he worked with called Alex soon befriended the two of them. Oh, and Nickey got pregnant…

Nickey gave birth to a daughter, they called her Zekkia. The shop, which they had bought and called Stix, after Nickey’s old nickname, was doing so well that Alex quit her boring job to help out. Shaun kept his job. He didn’t think things were going as well as Alex did. But then Nickey confided in Alex that she didn’t think her daughter was Shaun’s, as the little girl was ginger and she’d slept with Tré first…

Shaun still spoke to his daughter. She called him Daddy. The only reason that Nickey and Shaun were still apart was that Nickey didn’t know. Zekkia was none the wiser. Alex wished she hadn’t made Nickey tell Shaun. And then Zekkia was five. She looked like Nickey, and her hair curled slightly. Nickey finally had a steady life. Shaun was actually holding down a steady job.

Tré went back to California after he and Nickey parted. He never forgot her, but he pushed the memory to the back of his head. As awesome as she was, he was leaving. And anyway, he had two kids to go and look after.

Mike forgot all about Kaleidoscope. It wasn’t that he was a mean guy, he just forgot after a while. Billie Joe couldn’t care less, he forgot quicker than the other two. It wasn’t important to him what his bandmates got up to…

Mark and Christina carried on. Their lives aren’t very important as none of them ever met Nickey again. Luckily, Kaleidoscope, or Lucy, lived happily ever after, she eventually managed to rent a flat and did manage to find Shaun on MySpace and they kept in contact…