I'll Keep You Alive Inside

Was she going to come back?

He couldn’t believe it. He lay back, his arms wrapping around her like the most natural thing in the world. It felt better than anything he’d ever done before, like this was what he was meant to do. He knew it sounded sappy - which was why he’d never say this out loud – but Aaron loved this feeling.

His eyes drifted shut without his permission, and he fell asleep smiling for the first time in months. The feel of her hands resting gently at his waist and shoulder, and her face by his neck was magic. He wanted to fall asleep like this every night. He liked knowing he could protect her when it was like this.

X

When he woke up, she was gone.

“No,” he said without realising. He looked around in case she was still in his room, but she wasn’t. When had she left? He felt a little sad knowing she had disappeared as easily as she had appeared.

With a heavy heart, he got ready for school. Walking to where he met his friends in the mornings, he sighed without realising. He missed her already.

It was that night that she returned.

He hesitated for only a second before striding quickly to her and enveloping her in a tight hug. “Where were you?” He asked, his lips moving over the top of her head.

“I can’t see you when you’re around other people,” she apologised. “I don’t know why. I tried all day.”

“Okay,” he breathed, not caring now that she was with him again. “Just don’t leave again. What happened this morning?”

“I don’t know,” she said, a puzzled tone entering her voice. “I woke up, and… I don’t know. It was dark. If I tried to move, to get out, I got dizzy and fainted.”

He frowned, pulling away just enough to see her face. “How many times did you try to escape?”

She looked a little sheepish. “Ah, I don’t know.” At his raised eyebrow, she added, “I lost count.”

He sighed. “Oh well, you’re here now.” He pulled her back into a hug and smiled as he felt her nodding.

He began to hum a soft tune, closing his eyes. He kept his arms wrapped tight around her, rocking gently.

He didn’t want to go to sleep, but he did.

X

He dreamed of her. Warily, he looked around. They were in a clearing in a forest, and it was right out of a horror film; dark, filled with strange noises and tangled undergrowth.

“What’s happening?” He asked her.

“We have to get out.” She explained a little too calmly.
♠ ♠ ♠
This wont be very long, maybe two or three more chapters, so yeah... I'm practising my short stories and i couldn't write my homework essay until i wrote this down.