Thinking of You

one and only.

The music that filled the room just fitted perfectly. The relaxing tone of the piano mixed well with the sound of the ocean waves splashing against the boats in the harbour. Couples sat around their tables holding hushed conversations as if their love was the biggest secret, leaving a low murmur coming from each mouth.

This was Mercury Blue. One of the hot spots of Long Beach, California.

I sat at the bar, drinking from a glass that was cleaner then the ones on all those dishwasher adverts that pollute the TV world, even after half a pin had been drink.

This was my first drink of the night. I knew my hotel was only a few minutes away and I knew why I had chosen this particular place to drink, rather then any of the real pubs and bars that were located around this very harbour.

He was yet to serve me. I hadn't picked up the courage to move to the other end, but I knew tonight was going to be the night.

I finished off the second half of my pint and slipped into the toilets. I did what any girl would do before making a move towards a man and I checked my appearance, starting on my hair. I had let it grow a little longer then usual and now I had a fringe that flopped over my forehead. This new hair style just gave me a new edge. There was something about my scruffy mop that made me look a bit more cool and a bit more wild.

I wore a simple white shirt under a black jacket. The top buttons to the shirt were left undone to match the crazy feeling my hair gave me. And instead of the matching pair of black trousers I had hidden in my suitcase, I went for the dark blue denim that threw the whole suit look out the window and smart casual was in.

I left the toilets, checking out my footwear as they led me to my new spot at the bar, ready to be served the man that only served me in my dreams.

"What can I get you, sir?" He asked, and from that second he was mine.

I had never pictured a voice quite like that on him, but when the Welsh accent dripped from his lips, my heart thudded so loud I was scared that he'd be able to hear it.

I spent the evening with him and he was just as excited to meet someone from South Wales out here. Ryan, he had told me his name, finished work a few hours after our meeting and the restaurant was near empty so we carried on our conversations.

We sat down on the decorative, but comfortable chairs and we both took the fanned napkins from their impressive form and placed them on our laps.

The restaurant was due to close soon so we were quick. We didn't bother with a main course but went straight to dessert, breaking all the rules.

I took the last spoonful of the chocolate ice cream that was covered in the chocolate sauce that was drizzled over the heavy sponge and Ryan polished off his blueberry cheesecake that looked creamy all the way through.

It was a perfect evening. And I was hoping it was going to end in the same perfect way.

We stood outside his block of flats and I was hoping and waiting for the invite when he pressed his lips to mine. Just gently. Just for a second, but on first contact, I closed my eyes to savor the moment.

The next train to arrive at platform two will be the 15:49 service to Cardiff Central.

My sight was greeted with the grey of Newport station as Ryan vanished right before me. Commuters stood as the train came to a slow stand still in front of me and I joined the queue to stand on a carriage packed with nameless faces and silence, heading for another day at work.

He was just a memory from a time in my past.